Capt Dax/Aventine Novels

Created by: Matthias Russell

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 26 2010, 9:47 am

CmdrBrodyHansen mentioned in the Typhon Pact thread that there should Star Trek: Aventine novels.  I tend to agree.  But would such novels stand out from the other series?  What would be the draw of such a series? Would you care to read them.

The Aventine was introduced in Destiny and has been in a few books since.  If you've read books with Ezri and the Aventine, what aspect of the ship do you think would make for a good series?  What would you like to see such novels do?

skylight112

Report this Dec. 26 2010, 6:36 pm

Captain Ezri Dax is the worst part of the current novels. I am only hoping that the slug "Dax" went crazy and Ezri the humanoid is totally under the control of the slug now. That is the only thing that would make me like her.

MetalGorn

Report this Dec. 26 2010, 6:42 pm

What I like about Capt Dax is that she is very gritty, a lot like Kirk or Calhoun. Since the Aventine has slip stream I would like to see it go to Gamma and Delta quads. I know that Voyager is already doing that in the Delta, but still, an entire quadrant is HUGE.

Maybe since the Voyager led fleet is already in the Delta and Titan is deep in the Beta, then Aventine could explore the Gamma quad. Would be cool to see whats become of the Dominion after what happened to the Great Link back in the Worlds of Deep Space Nine novel. Also perhaps give us a clue about what happened with Taranatar, Iliana Ghemour, the Ascendants, etc.

Earthling! I grow weary from the chase. Wait for me! I shall be merciful, and quick!

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 26 2010, 6:55 pm

Having the Aventine as the pathfinder ship for DS9? Maybe Do with DS9 and the Aventine like the Vanguard novels where it involves the station and the ship. The Aventine would be much better suited to explore Gamma than the Defiant. Such stories could have Ezri and the Aventine under the DS9 title since it is better recognized and involves DS9 characters.

As for hating Dax, she is a great captain. Like MatealGorn said, she is a cowboy like Kirk and Calhoun. I see no flaws in her development or personality. In Destiny, she wasn't overpowered by Picard and Riker but seemed to fit right in as an equal.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Dec. 26 2010, 9:18 pm

They would be very interesting. If they matched the quality of the Titan books, they would contribute to my profligate spending habits.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Hawklord

Report this Dec. 27 2010, 4:46 pm

I'd read them if they're good.

CmdrBrodyHansen

Report this Dec. 27 2010, 10:16 pm

Dammit, I should've made this new topic! lol =P Anyways, I feel that this would be a great new set of Star Trek novels. Honestly, the Titan novels have been falling flat ever since Taking Wing's awesomeness. Sword of Damocles was HORRIBLE and the worst out of all of the books following Taking Wing.. Ugh...

I think that the first Typhon Pact novel showed that a Aventine novel is a possibility. Dax has legit canon back story, non canon back story since the Destiny series, and has a bad ass new ship. It's everything Titan had after Nemesis and the book of Taking Wing. It can be done and should be done! =D

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 30 2010, 11:26 am

Quote: CmdrBrodyHansen @ Dec. 27 2010, 10:16 pm

I saw your comment in the Typhon thread and decided to create a new thread rather than respond. I read Taking Wing and liked it though was typically slow for a Martin book. I picked them up again post Destiny. Over a Torrent Sea and Synthesis were awesome. I like how they go back to the Trek core of exploration, especially Torrent Sea which presents a wildly different concept of life based on a scientific hypothesis.

CmdrBrodyHansen

Report this Jan. 02 2011, 6:16 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Dec. 30 2010, 11:26 am

Quote: CmdrBrodyHansen @ Dec. 27 2010, 10:16 pm

I can see your point with Torrent Sean and Synthesis, but I felt the pacing was very slow and nothing ever lead to anywhere. Maybe it's because they're out in the middle of nowhere so to speak. I just feel the writers haven't really done a good job, except for Taking Wing. Regardless, I'm a fan and will keep reading them.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 02 2011, 9:45 am

Taking wing was different from the rest because it was a kind of sequel to Nemesis and the Titan hadn't started its exploration mission yet. What I like about Titan, what makes it original, is the books largely stand alone and are about exploration and new forms of life, it tries to avoid the Enterprise type flagship duties and political issues.

That's why I don't really think Aventine novels would really stand out. Being a ship of the line, the Aventine is just going to be doing the same thing Picard and the E will be doing.

CmdrBrodyHansen

Report this Jan. 02 2011, 9:08 pm

Good point about Taking Wing being the sequel to Nemesis. Although the thing (a joke imo) about being in briar patch or..i forget, and then taken far away just like Voyager was a tiny little cheesy. Btw, I enjoyed Christine Vale's intro, and feel she might be the best (non canon) character in the book series.

All it takes is a big idea or a big enemy, or a big problem. Anything can be written with the Aventine in the ST Universe to keep things interesting. Idk, love stories, ship battles against the Typhon Pact. Or...OR...they get pulled into the ~MIRROR~ Universe, and have them try to help the rebellion, or fight the Borg, or etc. lol =D

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 4:37 pm

It would be interesting to see if the Trek fiction world could handle two separate ships and crews. The fan interest in these novels may need to be stoked a bit.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 08 2011, 12:48 pm

Just link the Aventine to DS9, it would revitalize DS9 and give some more familiar faces.

OtakuJo

Report this Jan. 08 2011, 1:35 pm

I'd rather they just went back to doing DS9.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

IanCrawford

Report this Jan. 11 2011, 2:09 pm

Im not going to comment as i havent read the novels yet, but Captain Ezri Dax doesnt really appeal to me :/

Users browsing this forum: 22123magic