Would the USS Voyager crew have been better off with their original doctor or the EMH?

Spot_Data's_Cat

Report this Dec. 25 2010, 8:03 pm

Do you think a 'flesh and blood' doctor would have done a better job?

"Life forms...you tiny little life forms...you precious little life forms...where are you?" -Data

Jason222

Report this Dec. 25 2010, 9:42 pm

In practice holographic doctor best of all Star Terk doctor came medical treatment. Being able to treat disease or able know every know disease heart more then think other Star Terk doctor were able to do. He also find treatment disease lot faster then any other doctors.

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 26 2010, 6:24 am

For entertainment purposes. The Doctor was better. He was super smart but had the maturity of an teenager. Watching him grow beyond his programming was, to me, the best part of Voyager.

Bed side manner aside, I think the knowledge base of the artificial doctor and more precise surgical hands would be better.

captbates

Report this Dec. 26 2010, 12:24 pm

Well the writers made sure most of the command crew acted like dicks before killing them off, so chances are he was just a "middle of the road" medic anyways, where as the EMH turned out a great Doc and possibly the best character on the show.

If you can read this it means I've got something to work on here.

DjmUK

Report this Jan. 30 2011, 3:31 pm

I say keep the EMH. As VGR was launched a year after TNG I guess they wanted something more hi-tech (story wise), something unique and we saw just how many ideas the EMH brought to stories. Thanks to that the LMH came into programming (DS9), so if another series is created in the future maybe we'll see many LMH's taking roles on the vessel.

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 10:06 am

The holographic doctor was a good idea. But the main point is it was Robert Picardo who brought it/him to life. The opera bit became a bit over played at times, but he was a great creation.

to boldy go where no man has gone before

___Lucifer___

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 10:15 am

I don't think Voyager would have made it home without The Doctor.

jamesspock1

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 4:52 pm

Well he created great humor, he's one of the reason I watched Voyager, every time he was subject of the show, I knew it would be mostly funny.
As far as funtioning as a Dr. I believe he would be just as good, but wouldn't tire out as human would.

toranaprem

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 4:54 pm

The EMH was the only interesting character Voyager had, besides Seven, so no.

"What will they find when I am ripped apart? 'I love you, captain' written on my heart."

24thcenstfan

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 4:59 pm

I think a good writer could have developed any kind of character for us, but I think the EMH gave us a new twist on the ship's doctor and made for some interesting stories.

Join us @ => KEEP ON TREKKIN'

A Friendly Sci-Fi Community!

CleanerBreen

Report this Feb. 01 2011, 3:46 pm

Quote: ___Lucifer___ @ Jan. 31 2011, 10:15 am

Probably not; Voyager wasn't exactly the most top of the line ship and Janeway's senior staff relflected this. Hell, Janeway herself wasn't all that when she first took command of Voyager. If the Original CMO lived, he may have used the EMH as a supplemental tool, but his development would have never happened...Doctor Whats-his-nuts probably would have turned The Doctor off after every major procedure. Also, Kes would not have had a father-figure and mentor. Well, she still had Tuvok, but Kes I think learned so much more from the Doctor. I don't think Voyager would have made it home without The Doctor.
Have you actually seen the show? The Voyager was the latest vessel launced in the fleet. At the time of her launch only 2 had been made. I may remind you of the bio-neural circuitry no other ship had. A bit later in the show they even go back in time to the shipyard, where we can see The Voyager still being build.

So what do you mean by ... was not top of the line? It was freaking brand new!

Sora

Report this Feb. 01 2011, 5:02 pm

Personally I would've loved to have seen a real doctor and the EMH to see them work together as a team. This is something we NEVER see. The only thing I can possibly think of is very briefly in First Contact between Dr. Crusher and the EMH, but not really because she only used him as a diversion to buy themselves time against the Borg. I'd always hope that that DS9 would get an EMH, but they never could because first off, I understand it would very difficult for Robert Picardo to be on two series at once, and also because they had too much trouble adding federation technology to a Cardassian space station.

But it would've been awesome seeing a real doctor with the EMH. They could've still done the EMH stories, but with a real doctor they wouldn't needed Kes to be a doctor, and need Tom Paris to be a doctor.

Live Long and Prosper