Trek Fans: Male or Female?

Created by: Rusty.Shackleford

HaventGotALife

Report this Dec. 22 2010, 5:17 pm

I think it appeals to men more. Women, especially in the first series, were treated like eye candy and something to smooch on Kirk. For as advanced as the future was, we were still sexist.

Its stories are about the depth and complexity of human interaction and relationships. It studies us and asks us to look within ourselves, to relate, to ask how would we respond to all that is in their world?

konarciq

Report this Dec. 23 2010, 8:07 am

Maybe. But still, the later series have more equality between men and women. And the question wasn´t specifically for TOS.

miklamar

Report this Dec. 25 2010, 1:50 am

The shows probably appeal more to men. But, don't you think all those males--even if many of us are geeks--would attract more females?

scottjimenez

Report this Dec. 26 2010, 7:26 am

When i was a kid my mom took us to the movies so SHE could see Wrath of Kahn. My mom is the reason i got tuned in to Startrek.

One damn minute, Admiral.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Dec. 26 2010, 8:50 pm

If I had to guess - 65% male and 35% female.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

toranaprem

Report this Jan. 03 2011, 6:53 pm

I think the numbers of female and male fans are probably roughly equal, but that they tend to run in different circles. In the early days it was the female fans who kept Star Trek alive, and the first anthology of professional published Star Trek fiction (blessed by Gene Roddenberry himself) was penned and edited entirely by women. Over time female Star Trek fans were gradually pushed to the fringes of Star Trek culture because of their tendancy to emphasize the deep emotional bonds between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy and at some point this was thought to be alienating the male fans who wanted less of that and more of the tech. Thus, we get the stereotype that Star Trek fans are primarily male, when if it wasn't for all those seriously dedicated female fans in the early days, its unlikely we ever would have gotten TNG, DS9, or any of the rest.

"What will they find when I am ripped apart? 'I love you, captain' written on my heart."

jamesspock1

Report this Jan. 03 2011, 6:56 pm

85 male

Unununium*

Report this Jan. 03 2011, 8:46 pm

I'm female but I don't know any other female Star Trek fans.

*Might contain traces of Qwerty.

asteriski

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 1:22 am

Female. Most of the Trek fans I know are also female, but that's from the small communities on LiveJournal etc. I guess it depends on the different circles of fans, but in general I'd guess the majority are male.

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 7:14 am

As I type - 73% male to 27% female must say something ...

to boldy go where no man has gone before

toranaprem

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 5:56 pm

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Jan. 04 2011, 7:14 am

As I type - 73% male to 27% female must say something ...

Well, at most it can only say something about the kinds of fans that visit this site.

Csillan_Rose

Report this Jan. 10 2011, 1:44 am

I think there are more female trekkies than people realize. I love Star Trek, and I know a bunch of girls at my college who do too. In fact, I probably know more girls than guys who love it.

... Actually, I'm pretty sure I know tons of girl fans, and not one guy trekkie. Weird.

* Edit:  Waitwaitwait, I know one. Just one.

Dif-tor heh smusma

toranaprem

Report this Mar. 29 2011, 7:15 pm

konarciq

Report this Mar. 30 2011, 10:16 am

Yeah, I saw a direct link to Frezzetti´s article somewhere else on the boards.

It could however, also mean that the females were more eager to participate in the survey...

wissa

Report this Mar. 30 2011, 10:58 am

the poll is getting closer.  I've found there are slightly more males on these boards but only slightly.

and just the way they filmed Kirk must have been to attract female fans.  If anything the later shows didn't try as hard to attract females.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image