Was Scott Bakula a good casting decision for captain archer?

Kaijuman1967

Report this Dec. 19 2010, 1:12 pm

Captain jonathan archer was a man on the brink of discovery, at the knifes edge of the federation's glorious future, played (I believe) wonderfully by Scott Bakula. The Former Quantum Leap star made a performance that was packed with the pathos of a man on the brink of the future, on the precipice of the unknown.

I have long held that each trek captain is a reflection of the times in which they were written. Kirk the cavalier, Square jawed  all-american military man ready to grab the galaxy by the short curlies and twist. Just like the booming america of the 1960's. Picardwas the quintesential diplomat, polished, controlled and respectful, exactly what was occuring in the world political theater in late 80's/1990's.

Janeway and sisko were not so much reflections of society, but the best fit for the type of series they in habited. Janeway was a strong maternal figure for a family of outcasts lost in the deepest reaches of space, (perhaps the symbol of the socialy prevalant single mother) Whereas Sisko was a stellar commander, overseeing an uneasy post presiding over an uneasy peace and an opressed people. (perhaps an allegory to america presiding over world affairs like a big angry stepfather. later sisko became a wonderfull comander as his post was inundated by war.

Coming down to Jonathan Archer, scot bakula plays a man that at times seems weak and uncertain, wading into a future He can't possibly control. somewhat like the post 9/11 america he was written. but when push came to shove, he rose to the occasion. bakula and the entire show enterprise were maligned by fans. sure it wasn't by far the best trek, but the character of jonathan archer was wonderfully posed by bakula, a man whowas about to face an unknown universe, a storm of uncertainty.

what I want to know is do you think the casting choices for the captains of the various trek series were right for the parts? if not them then who?

"THIS IS CETI ALPHA FIVE!!!"

tribblenator999

Report this Dec. 19 2010, 1:28 pm

they should've casted sylvester stallone for the role. lol

"take us out"...

Doc Boomstick

Report this Dec. 19 2010, 2:54 pm

Archer wasn't my favorite captain but I actually liked Bakula. He has a nice screen presence for TV, if that makes any sense.

Kaijuman1967

Report this Dec. 19 2010, 3:31 pm

yes enterprise was not the best trek, but I dont think any deserve to be utterly hated.
I have always thought liam neeson would make an awesome trek captain. just because of the way he acts. I did not personaly like enterprise asmuch asothers, but I think bakula carried out who archer was and the type of man he had to be to pull off what thier enterprise had to do. in all honesty, I think fans would have apreciated the show more if it simply wasnt called enterprise, and the ship was named something else. that would have gone a long way to not make the whole show seem like a mockery.

"THIS IS CETI ALPHA FIVE!!!"

Caesar753

Report this Dec. 19 2010, 6:25 pm

I like Bakula as Archer.  He's not my favorite captain, but I still think he did a good job.

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 20 2010, 4:18 am

There were moments I hated him and moments he shined but the character was not as consistent as others. This I blame, not on bakula, but on the writers behind him. Also remember, the character was an engineer by trade, not a diplomat or warrior and it showed. UFP starfleet officers had more well rounded training so they had better abilities.

But bakula, he had the spirit but I cannot decide on his delivery.

Dendodge

Report this Dec. 20 2010, 4:23 am

I liked Archer. Bakula did a good job of portraying the first person to truly go where no man had gone before - a strong leader, uncertain at times, occasionally hot-headed, not as diplomatic as Picard, but an intelligent enough character to represent United Earth's best interests, despite his occasionally unusual methods (such as locking people in airlocks...)

Archer was a highly imperfect character, compared to Picard et al., who all seemed to be rather flawless. He was the first man to explore the final frontier, and didn't have the training other captains did. He was a realistic character, and always interesting to watch in challenging situations.

Jim Kirk

Report this Dec. 20 2010, 2:10 pm

I liked the character Archer and Bakula did a fantastic job. I was a little relucatant at first but he pulled it off well. I feel that his character was a good fefelction of wjhat the early federation would have been like.

Kang - "Only a fool fights in a burning house"

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Dec. 21 2010, 4:54 pm

Avery and Sisko are the best but Bakula and Archer come in number 2.

Bakula did a superb job as Archer and I think he was the second best captain in the franchise.
If some parts of the show were bad, thats the writers fault... not Bakula's! He did his best and did it WELL!!!

scottjimenez

Report this Dec. 21 2010, 6:25 pm

I thought he did a good job. i liked him in QL and ENT.

One damn minute, Admiral.

Tureaz'47

Report this Dec. 21 2010, 8:37 pm

It's strange, being a catalyst for things that move outside.

greenlantern8

Report this Dec. 30 2010, 8:24 am

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

wissa

Report this Dec. 30 2010, 9:13 am

Bakula has a pretty strong fan base and he brought that with himm to the role. I think he would have been brilliant if the writers had bothered to have some consistancy to the character.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

miklamar

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 9:17 pm

No. He seems like a diplomat, but not a great leader. A captain should be more adventurous. Archer seemed too timid.

Tureaz'47

Report this Jan. 13 2011, 12:24 am

Quote: wissa @ Dec. 30 2010, 9:13 am

You're biased. LOL!

It's strange, being a catalyst for things that move outside.

Users browsing this forum: DS9_FOREVER!