Star Trek : Phase II

Ghostmojo

Report this Dec. 17 2010, 5:48 pm

I've just been re-reading my copy of Star Trek Phase II - The Lost Series by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens which gives the background into this series that never was (but almost was) and how it morphed into Star Trek : The Motion Picture. In fact the whole thing started off with the Animated Series and then plans Roddenberry had for a feature film called Star Trek : Planet of Titans. Next it was a TV series and then it was a film again!!!

I wonder how many others have views on this lost series or have read that book (or any others on a similar theme)? In many ways it is a great shame it never happened, but of course if it had we would never have had Star Trek : The Next Generation.

With some modifications I would like to see the thing revived as the basis for a new Star Trek series - the second batch of Enterprise's five year missions. It would take place immediately following the Motion Picture and V'Ger etc. and well before The Wrath of Khan. It would maintain the look and uniforms of TMP and would be created (as with James Cameron's Avatar) entirely with CGI.

Any views? On the original proposals - or on the revisitation idea?

[apologies if this topic has been discussed previously anywhere on this site. I am relatively new to this forum, although not to Trek, and haven't spotted the subject anywhere else ... yet]

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Ghostmojo

Report this Dec. 18 2010, 6:01 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>James Cawley and his people are already making Phase II as a fan series...look for Star Trek Phase II on the net.

I've seen that. I've watched them all. Amusing stuff - very respectful etc. But that is not what I meant. Cawley carries on with the remaining two years of the original five year mission - as if the original series had not been cancelled after three years. His time line is therefore several years before ST:TMP. Cawley's Star Trek - New Voyages Phase 2 is NOT the same Phase II as Roddenberry and Paramount intended. I'm talking about the period focusing around ST:TMP and thereafter. If you haven't read the book - it is worthwhile.

I'm sure there are websites that discuss ST-Phase II:

And Cawley's unconnected continuation series is discussed here:

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Vger23

Report this Dec. 18 2010, 9:56 am

Whe is Cawley going to release some new episodes?? It seems like they work on 3-4 at a time, but release nothing. Frustrating.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Ghostmojo

Report this Dec. 19 2010, 3:46 am

Thanks for those comments BB. It is a while since I visited the Cawley site. I would still prefer to see Phase II done properly by Paramount as official Trek - CGI being the way to go in my humble opinion.

to boldy go where no man has gone before

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Dec. 19 2010, 6:55 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Dec. 18 2010, 9:56 am

Since they don't have a lot of sponsorship money...

Ghostmojo

Report this Dec. 22 2010, 1:22 pm

The most disappointed actor in Hollywood must have been David Gautreaux whose character Xon not only got replaced by the returning Spock; superseded by another actor playing one Sonak (who gets fried in a transporter accident); and DG himself ended up playing another starfleet officer on a space station that meets V'ger ...

Xon would have made an interesting character as a full Vulcan who was trying to understand humans and emotions (rather than repressing them like Spock). Much of this aspect of his identity was transferred to Data in ST:TNG.

to boldy go where no man has gone before

AdvisingElf

Report this Dec. 26 2010, 7:29 pm

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Dec. 22 2010, 1:22 pm

Judging by his acting abilities in ST:TMP, I think the greater disappointment would've been fans having to watch him as Xon. I had always assumed that he was some ST fan with connections that got him a spot in the movie. He is so terrible that I couldn't imagine him getting hired otherwise. So much for my intuition.

ispocklogic

Report this Dec. 27 2010, 8:10 pm

Although I haven't read the 'Star Trek-Phase II' book, my understanding is that it was never made because Paramount Television Services (PMTS) never materialized. This network was supposed to launch in the late 1970's as a 4th network (along with NBC, CBS and ABC) and use Phase II as a signature series. They even scripted a dozen or so episodes by SF authors such as Alan Dean Foster, Theodore Sturgeon and Norman Spinrad. When this network failed to come about the ideas for Phase II were incorporated into Star Trek:The Motion Picture in 1979 after the success of Star Wars and Close Encounters. Had phase II succeeded, TNG might never have been made, as pointed out at the beginning here. TNG is responsible for the continued success of the Star Trek franchise in my opinion.

As a side note, United Paramount Network (UPN) is a forerunner of PMTS and used Star Trek Voyager to launch the Network in 1995. I think this series was very well done in its 7 season run. It was the first Star Trek series to use Computer Generated Imagery (CGI) and utilized the stage sets used in TNG, which ended production in 1994. The series held to Roddenberry's principles in morality, philosophy and dealing with current issues in society. Considering this series was made several years after Roddenberry's death, I had great enthusiasm for the Star Trek franchise. While TNG films continued to be made, the Enterprise series was a disappointment. Star Trek XI, while interesting in its alternate universe concept, lacks a moral/philosophical fortitude and is an action hero/special effects piece. The characters also seemed to lack depth and behave like caricatures almost. I would have liked to see a transitional film, based on Star Trek Voyager, before the prequel was made. I feel it deserved it and was a lost opportunity. It could still be done, but is unlikely now. I hope Star Trek XII goes back to Roddenberry roots, so to speak. They need to bring in some SF writers like they did on TOS, TNG, VOY and tried to do on Phase II. Film writers are needed, but SF writers always bring the flavor of Star Trek. I will see what Star Trek XII brings and this is a Phase II in film ways. The continued success of the franchise depends on the next film - In my opinion.

"There could be some logic to the belief that time is fluid, like a river, with currents, eddies, backwash." - The City on the Edge of Forever.

Ghostmojo

Report this Dec. 28 2010, 3:19 am

That book also discusses the advent of Star Trek : Voyager and UPN.

Regarding Xon, we will just never know. Sure I prefer the return of Spock (who wouldn't?) but it would have been interesting to see how a young full Vulcan worked as a crew member. Despite Nimoy's lack of regular casting as Spock in the proposed series (he was back on Vulcan) there were suggestions he would appear as an occasional guest (as Spock) and that would have presented opportunities for mentoring as Spock later did with Saavik and Valeris.

to boldy go where no man has gone before