Starting to think their WON'T be another J J Trek Movie

Tin_Man

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 10:28 am

As of this past Friday buried within this interview with J J said he can't comment on the next Trek since their is no script or and doesn't have any kind of thoughts on it.

I hated the last Trek movie and would not cry if they just turfed the idea of going on with the alternate timeline.

But it seems odd that they still don't have a script when shortly after the release of Trek 09 they were bouncing around a number of ideas and it seemed that they were on the verge of picking a premise and moving forward.

Trek 09 also made a decent amount of money so you'd think they would have had a sequel ready to go for sometime in 2011 NOT mid 2012?

Maybe with the stalled American economy Paramount is putting the breaks on a number of projects including the next Trek film.

Like I said doesn't bother me, I hope they never make another Trek product associated with the J J Verse.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 10:31 am

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 10:33 am

A movie is better than no movie. Wow, I can't believe they are dragging their feet on this. Here is a good opportunity to keep the franchise profitable and it us being neglected.

Get this, I just read that in 2004, J Michael Straczynski (creator of Babylon 5) pitched a relaunch star trek movie about the tos crew and was told they didn't want to do star trek anymore. Wow.

Dixon Hill

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 10:35 am

There shouldn't be a Star Trek void of any kind, at any time, in my view. Yet, I know that for the kind of effort and money that go into putting sci-fi on the screen, they want a much larger profit than what they've been making off it. I believe they called it "franchise fatique." But, especially in these desperate times, Paramount and CBS should recognize, and appreciate, that "something" is better than "nothing."

"A crisis for Captain Picard -- or a case for Dixon Hill, private detective?"

jamesspock1

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 10:39 am

I just hope whoever does the next Trek will do it right this time, personaly I wouldn't mind seeing somebody else have a try at it.

Tin_Man

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 10:54 am

Quote: Lieutenant_Jedi @ Dec. 14 2010, 10:31 am

>Trek 09 was such a huge success both critically and monetarily that Paramount/CBS will do whatever it takes to make a sequel. If the script is still being written, then there really is nothing to be discussed.

Yeah IF a script is being written, from what J J said it doesn't even sound like they are doing that. At best it sounds like they are still in the creative concept phase .i.e. we have a bunch of ideas but haven't decided which to go with OR we are still writing down different ideas.

As much as I utterly hate this new direction, from a business stand point I really don't know why they are delaying the sequel so much. The longer they wait the more people will forget the success of the first movie. Star Trek 09 may have gained wide popularity BUT wait too long and you will loose the masses.

As the masses have a very short memory.

I'm going with the slow economy and just how hard it is to sell a Star Trek movie as the reasons for the delay. As another poster indicated Paramount is probably playing it safe and sticking to easer to promote and lower maintenance movie projects then Star Trek.

UNTRugby

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 10:54 am

the superman reboot made 400 mil like trek but was considered a failure and they cut the director and are now doing a re-reboot with Nolan directing. Thats what startrek needs, Christopher Nolan

jamesspock1

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 11:14 am

The next movie if it ever comes out will determine if this new universe is going anywhere, it could be the begining of the end, but lets hope not. I'm probabily wrong but I do not believe they went in the right direction with Trek 11.

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 11:57 am

When you shoot won't matter if they can't get a solid script.

We know abrams plays games, we saw the movie, lol.

2takesfrakes

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 12:07 pm

STAR TREK's IV and VI
ran into that problem,
of preparing to shoot,
without having scripts.

Very last minute, Nick Meyer
was brought in, on both projects,
because he writes fairly well and,
more importantly, is very fast at it.
So, this is nothing new to STAR TREK.

I'm aware of so-called Play-Or-Pay Deals,
but the major cast of STAR TREK all signed
for 2 more sequels. Abrams is just trying
to generate a buzz, but alot does ride on
the next movie - even more than the last one.

UNTRugby

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 12:23 pm

Quote: 2takesfrakes @ Dec. 14 2010, 12:07 pm

STAR TREK's IV and VI ran into that problem, of preparing to shoot, without having scripts. Very last minute, Nick Meyer was brought in, on both projects, because he writes fairly well and, more importantly, is very fast at it. So, this is nothing new to STAR TREK. I'm aware of so-called Play-Or-Pay Deals, but the major cast of STAR TREK all signed for 2 more sequels. Abrams is just trying to generate a buzz, but alot does ride on the next movie - even more than the last one.

completely different scenarios as they already had a director in place and rejected several other screenplays before they hired meyer to do it.

Vger23

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 12:51 pm

Quote: 2takesfrakes @ Dec. 14 2010, 12:07 pm

I don't think I totally agree with your thought that more rides on the next film than on the last one. I'd say the last movie was the biggest risk the franchise took since TNG (and even that was not really risky, because the TOS crew was still cranking out highly profitable movies, with TVH being the most recent).

The last movie was a huge departure from the norm, as well as being EXTREMELY controversial becasue it was a re-cast of classic, iconic characters. Now that Trek 2009 is an undisputed success in the only measures that matter in Hollywood (Box office and critical response), the sequel is not really as risky as the original venture. If 2009 had failed misreably, Star Trek would be dead for a LONG time. Nobody would be talking about television shows, movie sequels, etc....it would be "nail in the coffin."

The next film doesn't carry that level of risk. Maybe some fans think "it better be good OR ELSE!!!!!" but that isn't what drives the industry any longer.

On another note, Star Trek-The Motion Picture started filming without a complete script.

it's not unusual in Hollywood for this to happen (although it's certainly not preferable). I'm quite certain they'll have everything worked out before shooting begins. Everyone needs to

RELAX

It will be okay.

Breathe.

Breathe.

RELAX.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

fooledagain

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 5:08 pm

I recall that the 3 stooges claimed to have written the script for XI in just a couple of weeks while ensconced in a hotel room with a few bottles of tequila- not that you couldn't tell it by the end result. The ever efficient JJ also cranks out his productions on time and within budget (movies are a business not art, after all) so the claim that nothing is written is probably just a red herring to attract attention.

Doc Boomstick

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 6:05 pm

Quote: UNTRugby @ Dec. 14 2010, 10:54 am

Trek had a $150 million budget compared to Superman Return's $270 million. It's hard to say how the profit margins work out when you factor in merchandising and whatnot, but the film also didn't receive a lot of warmth from critics like ST did, so perhaps they though sequels might flop. I actually thought the casting in SR was pretty good and I liked the tone overall, but the whole son angle ruined it for me.

Given the size of the ST community, it's funny that a movie like Spider-man can earn more than twice as much in theatres. I guess superhero fantasy pulls in a wider audience than sci fi. I'd like to see the demographics of who goes to which movies.

Doc Boomstick

Report this Dec. 14 2010, 6:06 pm

I think another ST movie is a sure thing. Of course I might have said that about James Bond too.