Does Star Trek make better movies or television series?

Created by: Matthias Russell

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 2:59 pm

Does the nature of what makes Star Trek good and lasting, the things that make us like it compared to other science fiction genres, mean it makes better television series than movies?  In other words, which form of story telling fits Roddenberry's vision/premise better?  Or, if there were to be a new completely original cast, story, and setting to be marketed as Star Trek to fans and the general viewing public, should it be told in TV or movie format?

JaydenJaneway

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 5:25 pm

i voted for tv series. they put more work and thought into an entire series compared to the movies that had to be compressed into a 2hour timeframe.

Caesar753

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 7:41 pm

I fully agree with JaydenJaneway.  The writers had much more freedom to tell stories in TV format.  The movies had to appeal to a wider audience to make money.

five-card stud, nothing
wild... and the sky's the
limit.

Report this Dec. 07 2010, 9:30 pm

tv series, while the ,movies were good the series is were the real star trek magic is

Elim Garak: Truth is an excuse for a lack of imagination.

Vger23

Report this Dec. 08 2010, 5:13 am

This is a hard one to answer. I say that mainly because I'm really only extremmely impressed with 2-of-5 of the televison series (although I'm starting to become a DS9 believer, as I watch them on DVD.) Even if DS9 gets up there with TNG and TOS for me (which it rapidly is), that's not a really good ratio.

I never really liked VOY or ENT. I found them derivitive and unengaging. It just felt like the writers were taking it "too safe," and they never really evolved beyond being re-treads of TNG and TOS.

As for the movies, I actually find most of them to be above-average. I don't "hate" any of them (unlike other fans who frigging wail and whine about some of them), although Insurrection comes close. Even the ones that are considered "bad" I usually find a place in my heart for.

Maybe it's all relative. I grew up in the 80's. I started watching TOS when I was too young to even know what space was...I think my parents put it in front of me in the late 70s while they made dinner because they knew the colors and shiny stuff would keep me amused (just like now, while I'm an adult).

So, the Star Trek I got MOST excited about through my teens were the movies and the early TNG stuff. The movies were HUGE events, because for I-IV, there was NO OTHER TREK available. TNG didn't premier until after TVH.

Maybe I lost interest in the other shows because I was older and my tastes had changed. Maybe the movies have more of a nostalgic value to me...Interesting.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

2takesfrakes

Report this Dec. 08 2010, 7:36 am

For me, the movies often inform the
earlier series. Obviously, with Kirk's
son David, Kirk did mention having a
girlfriend named Carol in the series.

Who knows what they were thinking, at
the time? Probably nothing, just reminding
the audience that Kirk likes Pink Taco.
But because of the movies, you watch a TOS
episode and wonder if he thought about his
seed ...

It certainly works back and forth, but since,
often times, series episodes are so
condensed, concepts are rarely fleshed out beyond
what it takes to move the story forward. So ...
I think I would vote movies, because they do give
greater depth to the series they're based on.

trekkie264692

Report this Dec. 08 2010, 6:11 pm

tv series. the overall plots are much more complete but to be honest, it depends on the movie and series you are comparing. 2009 and TNG, tng. but if it's 2009 and voyager, 2009. overall series though.

THIS WAS SENT BY A TRUE TREKKIE _\V/ (__) live long and prosper

Matthias Russell

Report this Feb. 01 2011, 11:24 am

With all the negative discussion on the tng movies, I was wondering if anyone had fresh input on this?

Vger23

Report this Feb. 01 2011, 3:56 pm

I think Star Trek lends itself better to a series format...but I have enjoyed the movies more than the series in many cases.

However, with DS9 now in the same category as TNG in my opinion, that gulf is pretty small. However, I'd say I'm a bigger fan of the films.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

coastcityo

Report this Feb. 01 2011, 7:10 pm

the first Motion Picture was made to be more like an episode, since it was just a modified TV pilot anyway, and it didn't do very well. Then Nick comes along, makes Wrath of Kahn, and saves Star Trek. This created the problem of every movie having to be bigger and more action packed than the TV episodes (with the exception of Voyage Home, which is very true to the TV version), and that changed how the movies needed to be made to fit a formula that was very different from what Trek was meant to be. And I don't mean that is bad, just different.

"Lions and Gigers and Bears..." "Oh my."

Spot_Data's_Cat

Report this Feb. 02 2011, 1:26 am

I definitely prefer the TV series, paticularly with TOS, I find the movies are not as whimsical and colourful as the episodes, which is what I love about TOS. I did like quite a few of the TNG movies, except Nemesis (though that's probably only because Data dies). But to me the movies never seem to feel quite the same.

"Life forms...you tiny little life forms...you precious little life forms...where are you?" -Data

Matthias Russell

Report this Feb. 02 2011, 5:36 am

So my next question is, would you have preferred JJ Abrams made a Trek series rather than a movie? Would it have more allure and would it be hated less by the people who didn't like ST09?

Matthias Russell

Report this Feb. 02 2011, 5:37 am

Vger23

Report this Feb. 02 2011, 6:40 am

No, definitely not. My strong opinion is that the time for a new TV series is not now. I think the success of the 2009 movie speaks for itself. A new TV series would have had the same amount of discontent and hate associated with it, albeit from different segments of the fan base, no matter what...and a TV series needs a stronger, more unified fanbase to survive in this modern era. The movie was the right thing at the right time.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

JM1ICEMAN

Report this Feb. 07 2011, 3:54 am

That's hard to say.
While I can't imagine my life growing up with out watching the endless reruns of TOS I simply don't have time to watch a TV series of any form these days.
I'll more likely spend time surfing the web then commit 30 mins or an hour of my time just sitting there watching TV every night.
While a TV series can take it's time developing a character over time, it hasn't meant it's the better format for such.
Many movies have created characters we care and love in less time then most TV shows.
A TV series might be able to throw out more concept stories, even taking a new twist every now and then with what's been developed so far but often any themes or situations have already been done and their just changing things around a bit.
Take TNG for example. I watch as far as he 3rd or 4th season and my interest began to fade.
They weren't really doing anything all that creative and the characters seemed to come to a stand still.
You might argue this and point out examples, but the point is I simply didn't care about them any more. And that's not going to change.
the other series, well, I gave them as much a chance as I give any thing, they didn't grab me or change any thing for me and that was the end of it.
I could go on with this, but currently in my life I would rather have a big expansive movie to watch lavished with every cinematic detail possible with a solid entertaining story line then watch episodic TV each week.

Of course this is just me, how you spend your time is your own affair.

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam