Star Trek The Motion Picture

Serenity89

Report this Dec. 05 2010, 11:19 pm

When I first started watching TOS forever ago I instantly fell in love with it. i must have watched the episodes a hundred times! When I was ready to watch the movies, those who were older and "wiser" then me told me that Star Trek the Motion Picture was the worst of all the movies and it was a waste of my time. So naturally i was ready for disappointment, but after watching the first movie, I immediately disagreed!! I loved it.

I think the First movie was a great way to start off the series of movies that later followed. It brought everyone back together again, It was a stepping stone from television to film!

Anyway I would like to hear what everone else thougbt about Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Do you think it is good? bad? a waste of time? or an important step in Star Trek history!

"Let's make sure history never forgets the name Enterprise!!!"

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 4:10 am

Vger23

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 7:23 am

Unlike most others, I found Star Trek: The Motion Picture to be a fantastic Star Trek film. It's in my top 3, even though that wasn't always the case. Here's what appeals to me:

1. It truly IS a "motion picture." Much more than the other TOS films, this film had a much grander, more epic feel to it.
2. The story, while somewhat derivitive, is fairly complex. The characters are the main focus, not so much the plot. The movie is all about "trying to find ourselves." V'Ger takes the journey quite literally, while Kirk and Spock are each on journeys of their own. Spock's journey is one of the most significant in the development of the character, and is portrayed quite well. Kirk's journey is the final affirmation that his destiny is in the center seat. Both Kirk and Spock have lost themselves at the beginning of the film. The experiences of the movie have them slowing but surely finding their place in the universe again.
3. The design and production values are absolutely first-rate. The sets are phenomenal and the Enterprise is absolutely gorgeous. The uniforms are a little "blah," but everything else was done so well that it pretty much set the tone for Star Trek design over the course of the next 20 years.
4. The soundtrack is second-to-none. This is arguably Jerry Goldsmith's finest work in his entire career.
5. The visual appeal to the film is first-rate. The special effects are gorgeous, the cinematography is breathtaking, etc. Just a joy to watch unfold in high-def!

So, dispite it's flaws and somewhat awkward / slow pacing at times, I find TMP to be one of my clear-cut favorites (just behind TWOK and TSFS).

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

JaydenJaneway

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 7:34 am

i agree, it was a fantastic film. i liked the space scenes and the warp core looks alot like voyagers.

Vger23

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 8:59 am

Quote: JaydenJaneway @ Dec. 06 2010, 7:34 am

The design of the Engine Room in TMP (and in TWOK, subsequently) was awesome. It's strange that we never saw that set again.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 9:13 am

Vger23

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 9:16 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Dec. 06 2010, 9:13 am

I do think the sets were phenomenal and set the standard for things to come. They definitely didn't hold back the creativity or realism on that engine room. I hasn't thought about the personal development for kirk and spock. That is am extremely valid point vger. Kirk's portrayal in twok thru generations was dependant upon his place in the universe as established in tmp. You've aroused new appreciation for the film in me vger, but to me, the flaws still outweigh its value as a good movie.

Seriously...no kidding around, there's a REALLY good character story there if you watch the movie through "new eyes."

What I found was that, I'd seen the movie so many times since I was 6 or 7 years old that I stopped really "watching it, and my absorbtion of the material had frozen somewhere in my teens probably. Coming back at it as an adult now, I can watch it like it is new again, and pick up on things that were not apparent when I was younger. The nuiances of the "personal journey" theme never really sank in, because I never let them.

It's actually a really cool Trek story!

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Vger23

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 9:18 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Dec. 06 2010, 4:10 am

I thought it was terrible, the worst one. The content could have been reduced by half and it would have been a much better movie by removing the needless ship shots, face close ups, etc. Then I would have been more gripped by not being lost in the meaningless screen time. At that point point, TMP becomes like Generations- good story, but feels more like an episode than a movie. A tv show has a different feel than a movie and different metrics for successful story. That said, it is still a classic like 2001, which also dragged and allowed trek to learn what worked and what didn't, making TWOK better.

Oh, by the way...

YOU HAVE BETRAYED EVERYTHING THAT STAR TREK FANS SHOULD STAND FOR! YOU HIPOCRITE!! YOU COWARD!!!! HOW DARE YOU!?!?!?! ARRGGGHHHH!!! TRAITOR...TRAITOR!!! PUMMEL HIM WITH DISEASED MEAT!!!

Just thought I'd say that.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 9:28 am

Lol, thank you vger for preparing me for being an admin. Do you prefer your pudding before or after eating diseased meat? And btw, st V dumps on tmp like pigeons dump on preserver obelisks.

Serenity89

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 9:46 am

I hate to take sides but i have to agree with Vger. the movie was fantastic. Some scenes may have been long but I think its for you to really appreciate how far star trek has come over the years. and i especially love the story between the characters, Kirk and Spock both finding where they truly belong. In the end i can't help but love and appreciate this film for its entirety.

"Let's make sure history never forgets the name Enterprise!!!"

Serenity89

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 9:47 am

z

"Let's make sure history never forgets the name Enterprise!!!"

Vger23

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 12:59 pm

Quote: Serenity89 @ Dec. 06 2010, 9:47 am

z

"z" to you too!

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Vger23

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 1:01 pm

Does that mean that you actually prefer TFF to TMP?

I have to admit, I actually really like TFF as well. I like both TMP and TFF better than TVH and TUC. I know, I know...weird, but at least I'm man enough to admit it publicly.

I always save the pudding for last, my friend.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 3:37 pm

I do consider TFF to be the better film with more powerful moments than TMP. In light of your comments, I do appreciate TMP more and WOULD consider it better if the needless bits were edited away.

JaydenJaneway

Report this Dec. 06 2010, 5:30 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Dec. 06 2010, 8:59 am

Quote: JaydenJaneway @ Dec. 06 2010, 7:34 am

when they created voyagers warp core im sure the used tmp's design with a different color for the antimatter reaction. so thats the only time you see anything similar to that set, however the wrath of khan engine room didnt make much sense to me. i just didnt see anything amazing or anything that stood out.