Did the fans betray Star Trek?

jesusismyadvocate

Report this Nov. 24 2010, 6:23 am

I think that the fans betrayed Star Trek because they didn't even give Star Trek Enterprise a chance before they passed judgment on it. It was such a creative show with great actors and unique stories. With it we got to revisted alot of themes from TOS but for some reason people took Star Trek Enterprise as a let down. I find it ironic however that the disgruntled fans who left Enterprise hanging are now trying to grasp hold of anything Star Trek that comes out, like Star Trek XI which was more of a betrayal of Star Trek than Enterprise ever was. Ironic also that they cling to fan made shows, that are good, but pale in comparison to Enterprise in quality and acting. Example, there is a huge fan petition to make Star Trek Pheonix the New Star Trek series. It seems to me that the fans of Star Trek are determined to bring Star Trek back but where were they when Enterprise was on? Now, in desperation, they are ready to jump in bed with anything that dresses itself up as Star trek.

Camorite

Report this Nov. 24 2010, 1:14 pm

the fans betrayed star trek, or more percisly they bulk of the fan base did, just like spoiled little brats

"What i Hate more then anything else is someone that thinks that they know everything. That must mean that I really hate myself", "Freedom is the right of all setient beings!" (Optimus Prime: Transformers), "That's on small step for man, one giant leap for mankind!" Neil Armstrong 8-5-30 to 8-25-12

John Woods

Report this Nov. 24 2010, 2:45 pm

The fans should have given more support to Enterprise when it was on air.I think a lot of the fans had become comfortable with a 24th century star trek world,and were not prepared for the gittier,more basic nuts and bolts world of the 22nd century

KLINGONDOG

Report this Nov. 24 2010, 6:40 pm

I agree ENT is and was a great show, sad alot of so called fans turned on it.

bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'.

Sora

Report this Nov. 24 2010, 7:18 pm

Wow this is awesome just knowing that I'm not the only one who feels like this.

Live Long and Prosper

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Nov. 24 2010, 8:03 pm

From what I've seen on this website, many of the fans who were alive during TOS are very protective over it and very picky about every other show (there are obviously exceptions, apologies if you are one of them). For instance, I became a fan after ENT finished airing, and I'm very accepting about anything that comes up to do with star trek. I thoroughlly enjoy ENT, it and VOY are always in a constant battle for 2nd place on my favourite show list. Unlike most fans, I had no problem with TATV - possibly because I never connected with Trip and didn't care all too much when he died (sorry Trineer fans).

AdmiralArcher33

Report this Nov. 25 2010, 9:50 am

In all honesty...It wasn't just the fans who betrayed ENT...It was also CBS who pulled the plug like they did.

They have two settings: stun and kill... It'd be best not to confuse them. ~~ Lt. Reed

Matthias Russell

Report this Nov. 25 2010, 11:49 am

The fans wouldn't have been so repulsed by ent if it had a waited a year or so to develop more post voyager desire for a new show, if it had been better planned out with a more distinct purpose in mind, and if the producers would gave researched better how to make the show more appealing. It was thought at that point that start trek would sell but remove star trek from the title to remove the stigma for non fans.
At the time it aired, I remember my chief complain was that they introduced too many new races while neglecting to develop ones we knew but that could use more background. That kind of planning and research was neglected and it turned off a mature fan base that rightfully had certain expectations for a prequel.

The fans may gave some guilt, but no more guilt than a child who refuses to eat a meal that wasn't well cooked or seasoned. It's his fault for going hungry, but the parent could have done more to make the food palatable.

jamesspock1

Report this Nov. 25 2010, 12:22 pm

I think they just made it hard for fans to watch by putting the show on specialised channel
not everyone had access to it. I for my part only got to see it because a friend lent me a video'd copies, I've still seen it, but they never got my rating, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Matthias Russell

Report this Nov. 25 2010, 12:33 pm

It was a dying network that itself had bad ratings and failed to have decent marketing resources. Good point.

BigBeagle

Report this Nov. 25 2010, 5:58 pm

I've given this waaaay too much thought, so here goes:

I think there were three major factors working against Enterprise.

1) The series started right on the heels of Voyager. I think a break of a year or two between series would've kept the franchise fresh and relevant. When Enterprise began, it marked the 14th or 15th straight year that a Trek series was on the air. After that length of time, it's only natural for things to get creatively stale.

2) Being on UPN, instead of syndication like its more popular Trek cousins, also hurt Enterprise, as did the irregular scheduling of the show. It's hard enough to watch a show when you have a hard time finding the network it's on; when that network bounces the show around on its schedule, things are even worse.

3) The show hurt its own cause in the early going. Season 1 was OK, but Season 2 was all over the map, with no clear direction to the show and a few outright stinker eps thrown in, to boot. Things got much, much better in Seasons 3 and 4, but the damage had already been done by then.

To make a long point short, I think that, to a degree, the fans deserted this show before it found its legs, but the show didn't adequately make its case in the early going.

CAPT.LEW

Report this Nov. 25 2010, 8:27 pm

star trek is the embodiment of UNITY!

Camorite

Report this Nov. 26 2010, 5:23 am

Quote: CAPT.LEW @ Nov. 25 2010, 8:27 pm

>NO THE TRUE FANS DID NOT BETRAY STAR TREK! SOME FANS JUST LOST THEIR FAITH IN THE PRODUCERS!

>I THINK SOME OF THE PRODUCERS BETRAYED STAR TREK AND ITS TRUE MEANING, UNITY!!!!!

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SHOUTING? face fact, the bulk of the fan base was turned off from the moment that "Faith of the Heart" started up, and the fact that a 24th century klingon running across a corn field on earth was the next thing that they saw turned many of them off the show. It was that lack of faith that killed it. Not trying to excuse the production staff for their mistakes, but in the end it is fans that make or break a show (which the trek franchise had in spades), not the production staff.

Matthias Russell

Report this Nov. 26 2010, 5:32 am

Camorite, you make nice accusations, but those of us who had little interest in ent in the beginning have given you many reasons other than the ones in your head. Just because your opinion is strong doesn't make it fact. Face it, all evidence points to the failure of ent to not be on the shoulders of viewers. You are in the stage of grief where you want someone to blame, move on.

Camorite

Report this Nov. 26 2010, 5:40 am

just calling it the way that i see it. trust me i was first turned off when i heard about the fact that "Faith of the Heart" was being used instead of the usual orcestra, or when i was finally able to see the first episode (a year after it first aired BTW) when i wondered what the hell that 24th century klingon was doing in the 22nd century, but i at least stuck around, and came to like the new opening, and was well rewarded by the season 4 episodes that went into the reasoning for the klingons looks, unlike those traitors that decided to give up on the series, many of which are now regreting it.