Anyone read Star Trek comics?

Caesar753

Report this Nov. 09 2010, 5:55 pm

I am interested to know if any of you read Star Trek comics.  I have been reading some of the new IDW comics and think they're pretty good.  Any thoughts?

Matthew Rogan

Data Logan

Report this Nov. 09 2010, 6:21 pm

I own every Star Trek comic ever produced, even back to the Gold Key ones in the 70s.

The recent IDW stuff has been a bit simplistic, in my opinion, but still pretty good. (Art's generally good, but stories can be boring.)

I think the best stuff was done by Wildstorm. They still had some stinkers, but generally you were far more likely to find quality story and art with them.

And I think the first run of DC comics in the 80s is generally a great series to read. The only problem is that they were being produced in between ST: II, III, IV, and V, so craziness happens every few issues to make the story match up with the movies. Basically, the whole run couldn't have happen in the "official" Star Trek universe because we already know what happen in between these movies. But if you ignore the fact that the stories never could have happen, it's really a pretty good run. With lots of "guest appearances" by old Star Trek characters from TOS, etc.

If you have any more specific questions, just ask.

Matthias Russell

Report this Nov. 09 2010, 6:25 pm

I had the marvel series. I have about half of the IDW ones. As Logan said, they are good but many are too simplistic and have little content. Countdown and Nero made the movie, though.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Nov. 16 2010, 4:19 pm

I've thought of buying the collection on CD

just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Nov. 18 2010, 5:51 pm

Dude that is awesome! And a great price. Might check that out.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Mister Atoz

Report this Nov. 19 2010, 12:17 am

I have collected all the issues, save for the individual Gold Key releases and own them all in digital format since the DVD release two years ago.  My favorite series, chronicoling the movie era, was the first and second DC series spanning from 1982-1996.  I have enjoyed most of the offerings from IDW.

symbiontdax8

Report this Feb. 22 2011, 12:35 pm

I'm not an avid comic book reader/collector, however, I did recently buy issues 1-4 of the TNG/DS9 cross-over comic. I enjoyed reading them, and will probably be looking for more Star Trek comics to read.

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Feb. 22 2011, 12:50 pm

I have read some I had the X-Men  Star Trek crossover that was fun

Matthias Russell

Report this Feb. 22 2011, 2:17 pm

I read the marvel series when they had them briefly ten years ago.  They had good story but terrible art, like all Marvel at the time.

I enjoyed the older IDW stuff.  Countdown and Nero were excellent as were the TOS comics from a few years back like Year 4 and the final mission series.  The captain's log and Khan stuff was awful.  No story at all and the art was barely tolerable.  Now they are doing zombie books?  IDW quit caring about their content.  I wish they would be told to get back on track or have their licensing revoked.

CO_Fowler

Report this Feb. 22 2011, 3:04 pm

I've got at least a couple from each comic run from Gold Key on up.  Now to keep my kids out of them :: winks ::

R.I.P. My sweet Casey Bug. Mommy will see you again one day :`o( 18DEC01-24SEP11 / "Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."~Scott Stratten /It's a lot like nuts and bolts-if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts! ~Nicholas Evans /IDIC-Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination/Sgt Esterhaus: Hey, let's be careful out there!/4000/ To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone

Matthias Russell

Report this Feb. 25 2011, 2:35 pm

I've been steaming about IDW doing Trek zombie comics, then I realized, Trek already has zombies- they are called the Borg.  If they want to do a zombie comic, just face down the Borg.  We never did get to see the TOS crew face them down.

Also, Destiny has the borg.  Make Destiny a comic- BINGO!! Trek zombie comic.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 6:37 am

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Matthias Russell

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 6:40 am

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ Feb. 28 2011, 6:37 am

>I've read a few myself mostly from the new IDW line but I always chuckle at my Ashes to Eden comic where Kirk looks like Kirk from Star Trek 2 intead of from Star Trek 6 in which the story takes place after. As mentioned above the Star Trek/X-Men crossovers are a fun read. "Dr. McCoy?" "Yes?" answer Beast and Bones haha.

That Mccoy bit was a classic and has stuck with me.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 4:17 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Feb. 28 2011, 6:40 am

> Ashes if eden was made into a comic? When and by who? I'll gave to find that one.

The Ashes of Eden was released by DC comics in 1995.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 4:34 pm

I finally pulled the trigger and picked up the CDs with the comics...