Star Trek: The Motion Picture *Revisited*

The Big Kahuna

Report this Nov. 04 2010, 2:55 pm

Yesterday (Wednesday, November 3rd) I decided to watch the first Star Trek motion picture on blu-ray (which is also to say NOT the special edition with the extra 12 minutes or so). It had been years if not a decade or more since I last watched it and I figured over the course of this next week I was going to revisit all the original series movies (tonight it will be the blu-ray edition of "The Wrath of Kahn"). Anyway, I was more than pleasantly surprised by how good ST: TMP was/is.

Like many Trek fans I never hated this installment but I wasn't afraid to knock it either, but now with both hindsight, maturity and the painful experiences of "ST: Insurrection" and "Star Trek: Nemesis" under my belt I can better appreciate the first Star Trek feature - especially the skill and craftsmanship of director Robert Wise ("Star Trek" really was lucky to get someone of his caliber). Many of the scenes in TMP really standout as being some of the in the franchise history (Kirk's scene in engineering with Decker, Spock's conference with McCoy and Kirk, Spock's entire storyline, etc.).

Of course the Academy award nominated score, visual effects and art direction were always great but now some of the finer and more subtle points of this movie seem to have grown in my estimation probably because hindsight seems to reveal that the franchise really never aimed as high intellectually than this one did. The focus of the theatrical adventures clearly shifted more towards pure action and humor.

Though it still doesn't rise to the top spot of my ranking of Trek flicks it has moved up a spot or two and is now only eclipsed by TWoK and The Voyage Home and is tied with The Undiscovered Country.

Aloha, The Big Kahuna

Vger23

Report this Nov. 04 2010, 3:25 pm

TMP is one of my top 3 as well...behind TWOK and TSFS. It's a beautifully designed, filmed, and executed movie. I thought it had some great character stuff in it, and a very good sci-fi plot.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

AdmiralArcher33

Report this Nov. 04 2010, 4:27 pm

The director's cut was pointless, it had twelve extra minutes of fly-arounds and George Takei's wide-eyed stare.

They have two settings: stun and kill... It'd be best not to confuse them. ~~ Lt. Reed

Vger23

Report this Nov. 04 2010, 4:32 pm

Quote: AdmiralArcher33 @ Nov. 04 2010, 4:27 pm

At the risk of further damaging your already bruised psyche with my "un-niceness"

THIS is also false.

The director's cut edited out much of the "dead time" and quickened the pace of the movie. This is actually discussed at length in a number of articles written abou the director's cut AND it is discussed in detail on the DVD extras.

Most fans and critics consider the Robert Wise "Director's Cut" to be a superior version of the film, and hardly "pointless."

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Pooneil

Report this Nov. 05 2010, 5:17 pm

I rediscovered this one a few years ago on VHS, and promptly bought the Director's Cut DVD. I hadn't watched it in years (probably about a decade, like the OP) and was completely surprised. It's now my favorite Trek film.

AtoZ2

Report this Nov. 05 2010, 6:02 pm

Quote: AdmiralArcher33 @ Nov. 04 2010, 4:27 pm

Clearly you hadn't watched the directors cut and have no idea what your writing about.

"Thank Pitch Forks and Pointed Ears"

abatoir2006

Report this Nov. 06 2010, 10:00 pm

I love this film, every time I watch it, it brings back memories of seeing the Enterprise so wonderfully revealed for the first time on the big screen.While not my favorite Trek film it will allways have a special place in my heart.

lostshaker

Report this Nov. 07 2010, 7:59 pm

I've got all the versions, unfortunately no VCR anymore. The director's cut is brilliant and TMP is still the best of them all.

Somniac

Report this Nov. 08 2010, 4:22 am

Always been my fave movie. Haven't seen it on Blu ray but looking forward to it.

What other people think of you is none of your business.

Doctor_Bashir

Report this Nov. 14 2010, 10:11 am

I today watch "TMP" on DVD. What me like in this movies: New adventures crew captain Kirk, new enemy: V'Ger.This movies about honor,frendship, courage. Crew find lifeform,who find orbital probe "Voyager-9".Too like episode fly space craft around exterior "Enterprise". Can talk about this movie long, but better will be watch this movie. I have standart version this movie on DVD with commentary Gene Roddenberry and Michael Okuda.This excellent and very interesting movie from lines movies "TOS".

live long and prosper.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Nov. 14 2010, 10:31 am

I never hated TMP, but it isn't my favourite... it probably comes about 5th.

UncommonOtaku

Report this Feb. 26 2011, 3:52 pm

I've seen TMP when it first debut in the theaters.  Eons ago. : P

There needs to be some of the borring stretches to be edited out.  When ever I revisit it, I always have to FF the really boring parts. This is why the A/C in the theaters were always set at 40 to 50 degrees so the viewers would be too cold to fall asleep.

Beershark

Report this Mar. 02 2011, 10:41 am

I waited fot hours in line to see this when it was released and walked out dissapointed. It is a horrid re-write of The Changeling episode from TOS the custuming was awfull, Footy pajamas, really? and all the color was gone, everything was in such bland tones. It was good to see everyone re-united and the Enterprise refit was nice, but over all a big let down. Even Paramount tried to ignore it for a while.

Vger23

Report this Mar. 03 2011, 5:12 am

How did Paramount try to "ignore it?" I'm curious about that statement. How could they ignore a film that grossed over $100M and launched not only a successful film series but also provided the template for the TNG series that followed 7 years later?

Was TMP flawed? I suppose in some fans minds it was (then again, everything if flawed in most fans minds). But, I don't see any evidence of Paramount "trying to ignore it."

Shama108

Report this Mar. 03 2011, 8:49 am

I saw TMP when it first came out and I was far younger (obviously).   At the time I had virtually no criticism. Since then I have found much I could criticize. I have also come to appreciate what a miracle it was that it ever even made it to the screen. Given what they had to work with and the time limitations they were working under they did and amazing job.  One thing I can't resist saying is that I have yet to figure out what in blazes they were thinking with the uniforms!  And while the uniforms in TWoK were far better I still don't think they made sense.  It was as if they were wearing dress uniforms all the time.  It's one thing to be creative, but quite another to loose sight of the purpose of what you are creating.  The uniforms that arrived with TNG make far more sense. I am surprised we didn't see something more like them sooner.

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam, Drunkin Druid, wissa