Remastered or original TOS dvd´s?

konarciq

Report this Nov. 01 2010, 6:33 am

I haven´t seen anything from the original series, and after having devoured a couple of TOS novels, I´m beginning to contemplate buying that series on dvd as well.

Question: I come across two different versions on Amazon: one "ordinary" dvd set and one "remastered".

What exactly is the difference? Any helpful comments in what to choose?

JaydenJaneway

Report this Nov. 01 2010, 10:45 am

i havent seen the remastered versions yet and want to. i think the space scenes in star trek is what makes it important. voyager had some awsome space scenes.

megan512

Report this Nov. 01 2010, 3:20 pm

I personally like the original episodes better than the new remastered episodes. I think the original effects and everything just make the episodes that much better. If you buy the seasons on Blu-Ray, you get both the original and remastered episodes. Of course, Blu-Ray is more expensive....

2takesfrakes

Report this Nov. 01 2010, 3:27 pm

My objection to the remastered series is the flesh tones.
1960's TV was fairly well lit, even the shading had alot
of reflected light in it. In trying to give more depth to
the shadows, they go against the original lighting scheme
and the colors look flat and dirty. Not grainy, just dirty.
Maybe it was done by a machine, but it looks like garbage.

Otherwise, the effects are about as good as in a PS2 game.
Instead of cheap and cheezy practical effects, they're cheap
and cheezy CG effects. But, at least they're not grainy ...

KLINGONDOG

Report this Nov. 01 2010, 7:35 pm

I like the remastered version , and it does'nt take away from the story line.

bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'.

CO_Fowler

Report this Nov. 01 2010, 8:32 pm

Personally I'd get both, but I'd most likely watch the original cleaned up version more than the remastered. But that's just me

R.I.P. My sweet Casey Bug. Mommy will see you again one day :`o( 18DEC01-24SEP11 / "Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."~Scott Stratten /It's a lot like nuts and bolts-if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts! ~Nicholas Evans /IDIC-Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination/Sgt Esterhaus: Hey, let's be careful out there!/4000/ To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone

2takesfrakes

Report this Nov. 07 2010, 4:43 am

It's not your imagination, the greenish tinge
to Nimoy's makeup is more noticeable. I don't
think it was a decision, I think it's just an
artifact of the remastering process. And I agree
with the rest of what you said.

This whole debate won't even be a memory in 10 years,
and I know that. The originals will only be available
on eBay, or whatever and that'll be it. I don't mind
the remastering, as much as how it's arrived at. It
looks to me like it was done fast and cheap, that's all.

captbates

Report this Nov. 07 2010, 8:03 am

Don't buy the DVD's go straight for the Blu-ray's, and you can have both versions in the one package....... job done.

If you can read this it means I've got something to work on here.

konarciq

Report this Nov. 11 2010, 6:53 am

Thanks everyone!
At least I had some idea what I was buying now, and I decided to go with the remastered version. Although I have to admit that the price was an issue, too.
I´ve received season 1 and 2 this week, and I´ve seen a few eps so far. Still very much getting into the characters. And getting used to Kirk´s accent - my goodness, that southern (?) drawl of his is difficult to tune into when you´re so used to the clear, clipped speech of people like Picard, Riker and Data! So for now, I have the English subtitles on to be able to quickly check if I don´t follow what he (and Scotty) are saying...
The technical aspects are fine for my taste. If I didn´t know they´d replaced the space scenes, I probably wouldn´t even have noticed. It blends in well.

Favourite ep (after (I believe) five): Mudd´s Women - was funny :-D Interesting, too: I´ve already encountered several actors I know from other shows. On TNG, I don´t think that number came even up to five throughout seven seasons.

Silly though the way they almost "copied" ideas from the TOS eps into TNG...

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Nov. 13 2010, 9:54 am

I saw this DVD that was both in one... you could switch between Remasted and Original whenever you wanted, and see the difference. I really wanted to get that one but it was too expensive, I ended up getting the original version on DVD. It doesn't take anything away from the series, they're still great stories.

For me, the original is good because I can see what it would have been like to watch Star Trek in 1966-69 as opposed to 2010.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Nov. 15 2010, 7:15 pm

You know I have seen neither one, but I always enjoy seeing things as they originally were.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Peg1

Report this Nov. 24 2010, 7:47 am

Original eps. after seeing a few remastered eps -even the color and effects are greater there but there are a missing scenes I noticed. I'd rather have the scenes in and worse color and less advanced effects.

megan512

Report this Nov. 24 2010, 1:18 pm

Quote: Peg1 @ Nov. 24 2010, 7:47 am

If you're watching them on TV, there are a few scenes missing because they took them out to put in some of the remastered stuff. I believe, though, that if you buy the remastered ones on DVD or Blu-Ray, you will get the whole episode.

Beershark

Report this Dec. 10 2010, 12:11 am

Quote: captbates @ Nov. 07 2010, 8:03 am

Yeah, now that I have a Bluray,I'm going to replace mine. Not only do you get both versions, but you're supposed to be able to flip back and forth betwen original and remasters instantly. That just sounds so cool!

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

Beershark

Report this Dec. 10 2010, 12:14 am

Quote: Beershark @ Dec. 10 2010, 12:11 am

Quote: captbates @ Nov. 07 2010, 8:03 am

I think they a far better job remastering STTOS than The Lucas butchering of SW.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.