Encounter at Farpoint, first episode showing male starfleet skirts?

EnsignBozic

Report this Oct. 28 2010, 4:18 pm

Does anyone know the explanation of this?

A male starfleet officer or crewman is seen wearing the same uniform/skirt that is commonly worn by Deanna Troi in the 1st season. You can see him during the scene when the crew is evacuating the lower part of the ship in preparation for saucer separation.

So, my question again is: why is this dude wearing a skirt? Is he a transgender species?

- EnsignBozic

LotsofSpock

Report this Oct. 28 2010, 5:28 pm

I wouldnt say transgender species but probably from earth. In Fiji there is the custom of men wearing a type of skirt in formal settings and also some middle eastern countries as well, just becasue a man is in a skirt does not automatically make him in question of his sexuallity, it would be the same for women who wear pants if you took that slant on it.

Roboto

Report this Oct. 28 2010, 5:41 pm

I agree. Look at the Celts and Scots with their kilts- my ancestors- they are men like anyone else but the kilts are part of their culture.

JaydenJaneway

Report this Oct. 28 2010, 5:50 pm

i guess they thought they would try something new,but it really didn't look that great on him. you know tasha was in that dress too but only once.

EnsignBozic

Report this Oct. 28 2010, 9:45 pm

I see your point and you guys have come up with some very valid points. The thing I was wondering about, though, was why Mr. Roddenberry chose that episode to put a man in a skirt, yet we never see that again! Was he just testing it out for that episode or what species/culture did he intend that man to be of origin? I still think that he looked funny in it.

- EnsignBozic

FriendlyTrekker

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 4:59 am

I think they were tooling around with uniforms and that one just didn't work.  I usually just fanwank that to say that the guy was half-dressed or not dressed when the red alert was generated and he grabbed whatever he could find.

Matthias Russell

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 5:12 am

Tasha wrote the skant at the end of the episode too. Only time she wore it.

konarciq

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 5:42 am

EnsignBozic

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 7:42 am

@FriendlyTrekker. Hahahahahah

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 7:59 am

Here is memory Alpha's page on the "Skant" as well as what episodes crew members wore the cheerleader - style uniform.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Roboto

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 8:59 am

Quote: konarciq @ Oct. 29 2010, 5:42 am

As far as I recall, I´ve seen more guys wearing that short skirt uniform, even later in season 1. But hey, what about us ladies? Can´t we get a nice drooling look at men´s legs for a change? ;-D

JaydenJaneway

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 10:09 am

good one roboto, lmao

Pooneil

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 3:27 pm

Men and women are meant to be equal in the 24th century, so there should be no distinctions between men's uniforms and women's uniforms. Women can wear pants, and men can wear skirts. BTW, the kilt has a long and varied history that goes back much further than Ireland and Scotland -- you've also got ancient Greeks and Egyptians wearing something similar, not to mention SE Asian men wearing sarongs, and a whole array of similar garments traditionally worn in Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Pants/trousers are a fairly recent invention, mostly European (and even as recently as 200 years ago Western men were wearing knee-breeches and stockings, not long trousers). It's naive and narrow-minded to think that fashions in the 24th century would be the same as in 1987 or 2010.

I've actually seen some pretty serious-looking guys (e.g. construction workers) wearing kilts with cargo pockets.

DS9 GreenCruiser

Report this Nov. 01 2010, 4:29 pm

Quote: EnsignBozic @ Oct. 28 2010, 9:45 pm

The reason he wore a skirt is because they did not have enough uniforms for that episode there was meant too be more male uniforms but they did not come so he had to wear a skirt as there was still some off them and what is wrong with it If a guy wants too wear a skirt or a Dress or heals or any other type off clothes to go about his business in he should be aloud too women have been and do wear trousers all the time so why should a man not wear a skirt or Dress iff he feels like it its a free world .

- EnsignBozic

Fire Disruptors

KLINGONDOG

Report this Nov. 01 2010, 7:47 pm

You won't catch me in a dress, too drafty on a BOP.

bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'.

Users browsing this forum: 22123magic