Mr. Spock verses Commander Riker

Created by: DammitJim6200

DammitJim6200

Report this Oct. 28 2010, 9:00 am

Let's face it, who was the best First Officer, Riker or Spock ? is it a hard choice ?

Riker was offered his own Command more than once, not Spock

Riker lead all the Away Missions, That Fathead ego driven Kirk, didn't give Spock a chance to lead anything.

Riker got to say Red Alert, that egomaniac Kirk wouldn't let anybody say anything.

Riker stopped the Borg from destroying earth and rescued Picard.

Next ?..

jamesspock1

Report this Oct. 28 2010, 11:17 am

Although I prefer Spock to Riker, I like both, just very different, Spock more diciplined,by the book, (Spock was chess) (Kirk was poker) a good combination, and very differently portrayed charactors, Riker more bold, wanting to prove himself.

Both never wanted command of a Starship.

I remember a TOS episode with 2 titles 1. (Galilao 7) 2.(Spocks first Command) where Spock screws royaly, but stills comes up saving everybody ass by an illogical action, creating a flare with engine fuel.

JaydenJaneway

Report this Oct. 28 2010, 5:37 pm

you're right d-jim. kirk sure had an ego. I myself really never cared for kirk. and what i saw of him in real life, he seemed to be embarrased of being in star trek. he actually didn't even know what tech stuff he said on the show even meant. Its just what i got out of him.

konarciq

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 5:51 am

I wonder if any of them really understood their own technobabble, Jayden. I mean, listen to Geordi, to Wesley, to Data... help!

Kesfan74656

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 3:16 pm

As said, both have different styles. My first thought upon seeing the thread title, is that I would choose Spock over Will, but each one lead effectively, each inspired those under them, or caused those under their command to feel confidant in following them, one with a calm manner, and reasoned, highly intelligent thought, the other with the gift of human instinct, and unpredicatbility, the affablity to generate a camraderie.

''If I were captain, i'd open every crack in the universe, and peek inside, just like Captain Janeway does''-Kes, ''The Cloud''

megan512

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 3:21 pm

Quote: Kesfan74656 @ Oct. 29 2010, 3:16 pm

Well said; that's exactly what I was thinking.

Kesfan74656

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 3:29 pm

Gracias, Megan512.

DammitJim6200

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 6:59 pm

Quote: Kesfan74656 @ Oct. 29 2010, 3:16 pm

Riker had more responsibility than Spock, he acted like a real First Officer, the only time Spock acted likec a real first Officer was in the First season.;

DammitJim6200

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 6:59 pm

Quote: Kesfan74656 @ Oct. 29 2010, 3:16 pm

KLINGONDOG

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 7:12 pm

Riker saw more action than Spock, and I'm not talking about away missions.

bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'.

tribblenator999

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 7:34 pm

riker is kirk lite.
spock is the best first officer. he's got you covered when you're in trouble and he doesn't hog the spotlight.

"take us out"...

Data Logan

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 9:33 pm

(I voted for Spock.)

DammitJim6200

Report this Oct. 29 2010, 10:55 pm

Quote: Data Logan @ Oct. 29 2010, 9:33 pm

as a Navy man myself, I can tell you there are two big things you look for in a ship's first officer /XO: 1) he backs up the captain, often by playing the opposing counterpoint to the captain. If the captain likes away missions, but hates paperwork, then the First Officer does all the paperwork (behind the scenes because it's more boring for TV) so that the captain can focus on more important things. Spock did this. He provided a great reasoned counter-point for Kirk. What counterpoint did Riker every provide for Picard? Being less-reasoned or less diplomatic? Granted, Riker would sometimes have a tactical mind in battles. But Picard was no slacker there himself (Picard Maneuver) 2) he takes care of the crew and ensures they are trained and ready to accomplish the mission. Spock disciplined when he needed to ("your last report had an error in the frequencies column, Miss Uhura"), but more often was supportive of the crew ("there is no one I can think of that is better qualified, Miss Uhura"). All Riker ever seemed to do was grumble about having to do crew reviews and hang over someone's shoulder to see if they did something wrong. Sure, the senior staff liked hanging out with him, but the crew were afraid of him (see "Lower Decks" episode). Riker even seemed to go out of his way to create dis-content between the crew at times, like the way he bad-mouthed Ro in front of other crew. (I voted for Spock.)

Don't you think the First Officer is resonsible for the Captain's safety as well ? granted James T Kirk's HUGE ego lived for action, he LOVED to tear off his shirt and mixed it up with a few bad guys then romance the alien bimbo of the week, while Spock patiently watches him..Spock often had to deal with his conflicting emotions, which affected his ability to lead on occasion like in "The Galileo 7" when he was confused and had half the crew screaming at him for direction, Commander Riker wouldn't tolerate such behavior, he'd get his people working to get off that planet, as for dis-content, Riker expected disipline, what every XO should expect from those under him, remember, Ro Laren was in prison for court marshal and now assign to the Flagship ? she even made Picard uneasy,to feel that way to such a person is perfectly human, and don't forget it was Riker who took Wesley Crusher under his wing helping him to become an Officer.

2takesfrakes

Report this Oct. 30 2010, 6:22 am

Riker never compromised his Social Position. He loved
wymin and they loved him. He was a natural leader and
men naturally respected him for it and his people skills.
I always found Spock to be lacking in ambition, always
putting Kirk's needs ahead of his own. Also, he was rather
misogynistic ... and to a larger extent, a misanthrope.

For instance, in Amok Time, we see Spock revealing
to all onboard, his complete and utter desperation.
Then, he goes to Vulcan and - quite publically -
starts acting like a freak in broad daylight, in
front of T'Pau. And then Spock tries to act like it's
T'Pring with the problem, when from all appearances,
she was completely right in everything she did ...

2takesfrakes

Report this Oct. 30 2010, 11:35 pm

"I can't imagine Riker doing anything like that for his captain.
He would have been done and smoking a cigarette telling T'Pring
it was nice knowing you."

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

"You know thinking about it, if Riker weren't on the
Enterprise it would have been OK with no replacement."

Think again! I wasn't even going to dignify that comment
with a response, but oh, how it crawled under my skin!!!

Users browsing this forum: Drunkin Druid, darmokattanagra