ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

which DS9 character/s inspired you the most?

toranaprem

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 621

Report this Jan. 05 2011, 12:20 pm

Kira, definitely. I love Star Trek dearly but I often have a really hard time with how it presents its female characters. TOS for me is really an epic romance more than anything else so its easier for me to ignore the lack of female representation.


TNG has always been more problematic because its never felt to me like it had the same kind of emotional passion at its core as TOS, so I tend to go into feminist critique about how the female characters were represented when I watch it(Patrick Stewart awesomely enough has expressed the same kinds of feelings about TNG on this issue as I have).


But DS9, did more than any other Star Trek series (including Voyager with its in my opinion rather wooden female captain who apparently needed Chakotay as a co-pilot) to portray its female characters as real people with complex identities and desires of their own. Cassidy was committed to her political beliefs (even at the risk of losing the relationship with the man she loved), Keiko to her career, Leeta showed that even women who display silliness and overt sexuality are deserving of real love, Dax destabilized rigid notions of gender-identity, and Kira?


Kira is one of the few female characters I have ever seen on television who actually has real character development. She was drawn to be complex, flawed, and therefore fully "human". She grows in so many ways throughout the series, and she was the first female leader Trek really gave us. Here's a totally awesome fanvid about my hero:


http://meddow.livejournal.com/190553.html


"What will they find when I am ripped apart? 'I love you, captain' written on my heart."

jamesspock1

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 461

Report this Jan. 05 2011, 12:24 pm

I liked Sisco, I just find he had presence when he was there, mind you they were all good.

TyrThunor

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 75

Report this Feb. 06 2011, 9:51 pm

They're all so good. It's real hard to pick favorites.
Sisco was the must intense/best acted.
Garak was the most interesting.
And the cheif was by far the most starfleet/do your duty of any of them. Ironically the lowest rank but whatever.

iBorg13

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1944

Report this Feb. 06 2011, 11:13 pm

Odo. Believe it or not, I used to be a Nan Nook of the North (DS9: "His Way"), but I've changed thanks to that episode and thanks to Odo! Now I can talk to girls and dance... lol

HisRoyalHighnessTheKing

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 34248

Report this Feb. 06 2011, 11:41 pm

They all inspire me, except Ezri who's existence I do not acknowledge.


May God Save The King

willowtree

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1137

Report this Feb. 07 2011, 8:17 am

This is going to be a very unpopular answer, but I was always amazed with Ezri. To get the symbiot Trills go through a lifetime of training, and few are qualified. But Ezri was just thrown into it. She didn't have any training, wasn't prepared, didn't know what to expect. Imagine that. You have memories from the previous host, so going back to DS9 for her wasn't a big deal, she already knew everyone. But to them she was a stranger, and a constant reminder of Jadzia's death. And at first a lot of people acted like that to her. That couldn't have been easy for her

defianted

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 23

Report this Feb. 07 2011, 12:21 pm

I think Sisko's character was the best of them but that's only my opinion.

" I once played a great MMOG called ' Starship Troopers: Battlespace ".

zapp77

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 103

Report this Feb. 11 2011, 1:03 pm

I'm gonna have to go with Kira and Odo, they had some pretty rough childhoods. (If that's what you wanna call it for Odo.)

Oh Snap.

Xule

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 32

Report this Mar. 30 2011, 1:21 pm

Garak. I love a-moral, no bullshit characters. Possibly because they often say what I would in certain scenarios.

wissa

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 4023

Report this Mar. 30 2011, 1:30 pm

Kira.  She took a traumatic childhood and used it to turn herself into a warrior, then was able to adapt to peace when it finally came and was still open to love.  Even when she lost love to death she had the strength to trust again.


We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

wissa

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 4023

Report this Mar. 30 2011, 1:31 pm

Quote: willowtree @ Feb. 07 2011, 8:17 am

>This is going to be a very unpopular answer, but I was always amazed with Ezri. To get the symbiot Trills go through a lifetime of training, and few are qualified. But Ezri was just thrown into it. She didn't have any training, wasn't prepared, didn't know what to expect. Imagine that. You have memories from the previous host, so going back to DS9 for her wasn't a big deal, she already knew everyone. But to them she was a stranger, and a constant reminder of Jadzia's death. And at first a lot of people acted like that to her. That couldn't have been easy for her


 


I can see that.  She had to choose a life path she didn't want in order to save another life and she went on to cope with that the best she could


We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this Mar. 31 2011, 7:08 pm

Quote: willowtree @ Feb. 07 2011, 8:17 am

>This is going to be a very unpopular answer, but I was always amazed with Ezri. To get the symbiot Trills go through a lifetime of training, and few are qualified. But Ezri was just thrown into it. She didn't have any training, wasn't prepared, didn't know what to expect. Imagine that. You have memories from the previous host, so going back to DS9 for her wasn't a big deal, she already knew everyone. But to them she was a stranger, and a constant reminder of Jadzia's death. And at first a lot of people acted like that to her. That couldn't have been easy for her


I like that answer. Always thought that it must have taken a lot of courage (and admittedly a certain amount of naivete) for Ezri to have made such a life changing, selfless decision as to accept a symbiont that she never wanted and was entirely unprepared for. Everybody talks down about Ezri but only because we are introduced to her at a real low-point in her life. And her struggles to deal with the consequences of this decision are both interesting and, yes, inspiring.


(and she isn't uppity like Jadzia.)


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Mantaray

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2793

Report this Apr. 01 2011, 1:57 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jan. 04 2011, 8:07 am

>

>Sisko - overcoming heavy loss and moving forward in his path.  I also like his leadership style.

>


 


I agree with this, but I would personally add Jadzia, Worf and Garak.

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this Apr. 01 2011, 9:23 pm

Quote: Mantaray @ Apr. 01 2011, 1:57 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jan. 04 2011, 8:07 am

>

>

>Sisko - overcoming heavy loss and moving forward in his path.  I also like his leadership style.

>

 

I agree with this, but I would personally add Jadzia, Worf and Garak.


Because you are a liar??


 


 


I KID!!!! (Ducks)


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this Apr. 02 2011, 5:44 pm

^ Now say that in song.


 

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum