Hey Admin and tech support, You are cordially invited...

JOYOFVGR

Report this Oct. 22 2010, 3:23 am

to check out a board that functions the way we would like this one to function. Not only that, but if it's looks you're going for, our board can be changed to take on various backgrounds, including our latest Halloween Background. (Almighty is very proud of that one.) If nothing else, maybe you will just get some ideas and understand why some of us are so frustrated.

Unlike some of the other satellite boards, ours is open, so you can look at the board without being a member. However, if you're curiosity is peaked, feel free to sign up and post. There's no need to identify yourself as st.com admin/tech. Oh and better take your sense of humor along. We have a lot of fun there.

In fairness, I must add that all the satellite boards have similar features and are equally fun, in their own way.  So please, check them all out! There are many talented individuals here who have years of experience running them. You have a huge asset of people to help and I'm sure everyone would be willing!

But seriously, folks, we need to get THIS board fixed. After all, st.com has always been the "mothership" and we should be proud of her.

Thank you for your thoughtful consideration.

Sincerely and with a touch of jest,
Joy

PS. Here's the link: http://forums.thestartreknexus.com/index/

I've avoided mentioning the other boards, because I don't want to leave anyone out. As most of you know, I belong to a few of them. I invite the admins of any other boards to post the links to their sites in this thread. (plug away people!) I think it would be great if TPTB at st.com would at least take a look.

I like everybody, even the people I don't like. They make things interesting. ;) Trying to get into the Nexus? Use this link: http://s13.zetaboards.com/NexusTrek/index/

JOYOFVGR

Report this Oct. 22 2010, 3:41 am

Some of the features I think you should look at are:

Today's New Posts at the top and bottom of the screen. Click on it and you will get a list of the most active topics.

Page numbers are at the top and bottom of the screen for your convenience

Any thread you have posted in will have an arrow next to the title. (You can't see that unless you actually sign up and post.)

When you click on a topic you are brought to the last unread post, so you don't have to scroll through the posts you have already seen.(again you need to be a member for this one)

Down at the bottom left of the screen is a drop down box where you can change the "theme" (background) of the board.

The full reply screen gives you a huge array of emoticans to choose from. There are also buttons to change the font and even add images or an embedded Youtube video.

When you click on the report button, a text box comes up where you can explain in detail why you are reporting the post.

And finally, yes there is a Private Message function.

I realize that it might not be practical for st.com to have all these features, but I really think some of the more basic ones are a very important part to any board.

If I left any out, please feel free to jump in and list them. Like I said, most of the boards have the same features.

CO_Fowler

Report this Oct. 22 2010, 8:32 am

Nice! I agree with both Joy and Yanks. With Joy because the majority of MBs have those basic functions - i.e. PM, a way to go to newest post in any given topic/forum, the page numbers (for those topics that are more than one page) at both top and bottom of topics for ease of use and a way to explain the why of a report.

With Yanks, because ST.com Prime had all of that. Plus reading the posts on it was easier on the eyes with the background color, grey, since it wasn't so bright. The old site did need some updating/fixing, but not as much as seems to be needed here.

Okie, I didn't mean for this to sound like a complaning post, I'm happy with the latest fixes, I really am! But there is still lots more to do.

Admin, please take Joy up on her offer And just look at some other boards, both Star Trek and non- Star Trek, to see what they all have in common. See how some are laid out and how some take advantage of their members computer/MB experience.

A couple of good non-Star Trek MBs are:

Just to name a couple. Please understand that we're not trying to take over, but we are only trying to help make ST.com be the best it can be! Thanks!!

Peace!

R.I.P. My sweet Casey Bug. Mommy will see you again one day :`o( 18DEC01-24SEP11 / "Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."~Scott Stratten /It's a lot like nuts and bolts-if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts! ~Nicholas Evans /IDIC-Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination/Sgt Esterhaus: Hey, let's be careful out there!/4000/ To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone

JOYOFVGR

Report this Oct. 22 2010, 10:59 am

Trekbbs and those other non Trek sites are also a great suggestion! Thanks

CO_Fowler

Report this Oct. 22 2010, 11:29 am

I thought letting people see non-Trek MBs might be a nice way to show that good MBs are everywhere and that they use/offer a lot of the same functions/extras that members have been asking for here

JOYOFVGR

Report this Oct. 22 2010, 12:09 pm

I agree. Someone had even mentioned that the star wars message boards are great. I think it might have been seer, but I'm not sure.

JOYOFVGR

Report this Oct. 22 2010, 2:40 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Uhh! A Nexus hater. How is it relevant who frequents Nexus, when this topic is about layout and funtionality

JOYOFVRG was bragging about how NT was open to all guests (unlike some other boards) but failed to mention no one can search for posts or members already registered to make an educated decision to join, or not join.  And why would this site want to "model" itself after a board filled with trolls and spammers??
You can't search the member list here before joining either. The point about the board being open is that the st.com admin and tech guys do not have to join the board to look at some of the features. I'm not talking about the moderation or membership of the board, I'm talking about its technical functionality.

JOYOFVGR

Report this Oct. 22 2010, 2:46 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Most likely a security/privacy concern. Member lists are pilfered around the 'net by spambots and other less than reputable folk. Makes sense to keep the member list "member view only" (web security and web marketing 101) and with the smaller / private boards they operate as a more of a social networking site than a traditional "public" board; folks might post stuff they'd rather not be read by some one with 5 seconds and Google in another tab. Really, with the "private" boards no different that someone locking off their MySpace or Facebook to "Friends only"

Thank you, seer, that's exactly the case. However, this thread was supposed to be about the way the board functions, like Baun said. Of course there are functions, and even a forum, which is only available to members and if the admins here would like to see that they would have to join. But it's really not necessary for the point I was making. I truly think they should take a look at a few different boards to understand why some of us are so embarassed and frustrated by this board. We are not just trying to make trouble. This site quite simply isn't up to industry standards and we would like to see it fixed.

JOYOFVGR

Report this Oct. 23 2010, 10:39 am

I must have missed the thread where they said they saw other message boards.

I really don't think it was condescending at all. This board has been running for months, with little improvement or communication as to when things might change. This was an invitation to look at one of the satellite boards, without having to log in, and to understand that many members here expect and deserve a certain level of functionality. I happened to use a board that I'm an admin on, but there are plenty to chose from. Trekbbs is as good, if not better, due to the size of its membership.

But the thing that Trekbbs can't provide is a little insight into many of the members here. The satelitte boards all have different personalities and that is driven by their members. It would be a great way for the mods here to get a little more familiar with us.

But the bottom line is that it was only a suggestion and it was made with the best of intentions.

CO_Fowler

Report this Oct. 23 2010, 1:08 pm

I took it as just an open invite that Admin can either choose to go look at them or choose not to.

I only included some Non-Trek boards so Admin could see that somethings, like PM's and such are pretty much universal on MBs, not only for Trek MBs.

I did see where it was explained that some forums are visible to members only, but I haven't seen anywhere saying that Admin MUST or HAVE to join any other board. I'll look again, but I don't think I'll find that.

Anyhoo, if Admin chooses to look at (not join) other MBs then that is their choice. If they choose to check the other MBs out and see what they have to offer then fine. If not, then fine. All I'm asking is that if they do choose to look at the others then please keep an open mind and see that what the functions there are what the majority of us members are asking for. We WANT to bring and keep members here!

Peace!

*Edited to add* Added 'at'

JOYOFVGR