How do I stop message board replies from being emailed to me?

Solipso

Report this Oct. 09 2010, 2:14 pm

The thread "This is giving me a headache" started by UNTRugby is addressed to this same issue. I'm hoping that a thread more specifically titled will draw attention to the trouble.

As you can see in UNTRugby's thread, many board users, including me, are having this trouble. We are having message-board replies emailed to us when we do not want them. Also, users like myself have made sure to uncheck the box that says, "Notify me when a reply is posted."

The only solution so far is a work-around: In you email program, mark the Star Trek replies as spam.

The way to the stars is the way of the mind.

Matthias Russell

Report this Oct. 10 2010, 1:22 pm

This has been pissing me off too. I can't believe that the site keeps sending emails after months or several later replies with the email box clicked.

Invader_Wishfire

Report this Oct. 12 2010, 10:28 am

I'm glad I saw this topic. I went to my email, and lo and behold, there's over 1100 new messages, most of them from st.com. Perhaps I should remember to deselect "Notify me when a reply is posted." Though, it would be convenient if that option didn't have to be deselected every time.

photo spok_zps253ab564.gif

Matthias Russell

Report this Oct. 12 2010, 10:39 am

Have many people been banned? What did they do that was so terrible? It can't bed that hard to refrain from using vulgar language.

Solipso

Report this Oct. 13 2010, 2:01 pm

Thank you, Yanks. At least for me, you are correct.

If--on the first time that I make a reply in a thread--I uncheck the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box, I do not receive any email for that thread. That is as it should be. If, however--as I have done on two threads, one on the "Enterprise" board and one on the "Movies" board--I check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box, not only do I receive emails notifying whenever a new post on the thread has been made, I cannot stop these emails, not even if I go back to my last post on this thread and uncheck the box.

The way to the stars is the way of the mind.

megan512

Report this Oct. 13 2010, 5:55 pm

I got over 200 emails today, must of them from this site. Please, all we want is a button that isn't automatically checked!

JOYOFVGR

Report this Oct. 14 2010, 10:39 am

In my case the offending thread got deleted, so that should do it!

I like everybody, even the people I don't like. They make things interesting. ;) Trying to get into the Nexus? Use this link: http://s13.zetaboards.com/NexusTrek/index/

Matthias Russell

Report this Oct. 14 2010, 10:45 am

Aha! That's how we stop the emails, report a thread as offensive to the administrator enough and the thread and emails will go away!

Solipso

Report this Oct. 14 2010, 2:22 pm

Yesterday I went to each of my posts in those threads, clicked edit, unchecked the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box, and clicked Submit. Today, even though I counted fourteen new posts in the "Why was Enterprise hated by fans?" thread, I did not receive any emails from Star Trek.

So the action I described above may be a second workaround (in addition to putting Star Trek email on my spam, or "blocked-senders", list). This is tentative, however. I'm going to wait a couple more days before I post it as a definite workaround. Make no mistake, it is only a workaround and only for some users, not a permanent solution. F--not a solution. For some users who have made many posts on a thread it is not practical. It requires too much labor.

From the posts I have read, this new message board seems to need many repairs. Just for this email notification trouble, here are three suggestions:

1. Do not have the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box automatically checked. Make it necessary for users to check this box manually. Alternatively they should be able to go into their Profile/Preferences screen and manually check to receive notifications for any, or all, threads that they have posted in.

2. To discontinue receiving email notifications of replies, a board user should only need to go to their last post (in the relevant thread), click edit, uncheck the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box, and click Submit.

3. In a board user's Profile/Preferences screen, there should be a list of threads that the user is currently receiving email notifications of replies. In this screen it should be possible for the user to discontinue receiving email notifications for any, or all, of those threads.

The way to the stars is the way of the mind.

tishkajaku

Report this Oct. 14 2010, 6:52 pm

Thank you for the idea to block startrek.com from my email sender list.  I will check to see if that stops all the noreply etc emails.  It is a shame, since I will also not be able to receive any OTHER posts from this site, so if admin sends out an email for any reason, I will not get it, I suppose.

I am now unchecking my notify box below!  (edit because the smiling emoticon did not post....still do not know how to get pictures or emoticons on my posts....bigggggg siiiiiiigggggghhhhhh)

TRIP:I'm only kidding. You look nice like this. Kind of like an old oil painting. T'POL:I'm not old. I will only be sixty six years old on my next birthday. TRIP:I can't believe you told me that. T'POL:You accused me of looking old. TRIP:That's not what I mean. I've been trying to get you to tell me your age since we left Spacedock. Why now? T'POL:To Vulcans, certain information is considered intimate. TRIP:Intimate?

Solipso

Report this Oct. 15 2010, 2:32 pm

Quote from Yanks 10-15-10 0657:

"I don't [think] blocking emails is the solution. I still want the emails for threads I'm tracking."

Thanks, Yanks. You are absolutely right. DO YOU HEAR THAT, DEAR ADMINISTRATOR!!

Quote from the_earthman 10-15-10 0523:

"Once again we need/are asking for what we already had on the old boards:
1. A topic tracker page linked to our profiles with the option to add or remove individual topics.
2. The option whether or not we wish to receive email notifications."

Correct. As the_earthman has noted on his other post(s), other websites have message boards that allow board users to go to their Profiles/Preferences screen and disable email notifications from there. I think that is what the Star Trek site should have too.

Quote from the_earthman 10-15-10 0523:

"I must remember to uncheck the "Notify me" box."

The thing is, we should not have to remember to do that. The "Notify me when a reply is posted" box should be checked only manually by each board user. Because I and others forgot to do that, our email was subjected to a carpet bombing of Star Trek notifications that we did not want.

I have found two temporary workarounds, which as Yanks says are absolutely NOT solutions. One of these, as Yanks also points out, is not even a temporary workaround if you want to continue to receive notifications from some threads but not from others. Which is to mark your Star Trek notifications as spam, or to enable "block sender" for Star Trek.

The other temporary workaround is what I noted on my preceding post. It has worked for me for the past two days. That is, I am no longer receiving notifications of replies. It should not be seen as a permanent solution, because for users who have made many posts on a thread, it requires too much labor. Here is what I did:

1. I went to the thread that I was receiving notifications for.

2. I went to the first reply I made on that thread.

3. I clicked edit, unchecked the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box, and clicked Submit.

4. I went to my next reply on this thread and repeated the procedure for 3.

5. I did the same for each successive reply I had made on this thread.

6. I followed the same procedure for the other thread that I was getting unwanted email notifications for.

As I suggested above, this is not a practical solution for someone who has made, say, twenty or more replies on a thread. But at least for me, it has worked.

As the_earthman warns, whenever you make a post, be sure to uncheck the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box. For the time being, it seems that if you do not do that and you no longer want to receive the notifications, you are either go to have to block all email from the Star Trek site, or you will need to follow the tedious procedure I described above.

The way to the stars is the way of the mind.

JOYOFVGR

Report this Oct. 15 2010, 7:20 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

8fb5e0de-57e5-4e14-8e0d-db4b6a6583be 1.03.01

8fb5e0de-57e5-4e14-8e0d-db4b6a6583be 1.03.01
How are you getting those smiley images in your posts? Are you copying and pasting the forum code from photobucket or something? There's no img tag here is there?

JOYOFVGR

Report this Oct. 15 2010, 7:43 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

8fb5e0de-57e5-4e14-8e0d-db4b6a6583be 1.03.01

8fb5e0de-57e5-4e14-8e0d-db4b6a6583be 1.03.01
Well, I could be just writing them from memory..... or... using photobucket!!
I can see you are using photobucket, but which link are you copying and pasting? I don't recognize the code.

JOYOFVGR

Report this Oct. 16 2010, 2:53 pm

Thanks again, Yanks.

JOYOFVGR

Report this Oct. 17 2010, 6:29 am

I understand that and I've already changed my e-mail settings. But let's face it. If they ever fix this board and it returns to it's normal level of activity, those e-mails will be very taxing on everyone's system, even if they go to the spam folder. I received 65 e-mails at once for one thread where I had multiple posts and must have forgotten to uncheck the notify me box. Plus if you edit a post, you have to remember to uncheck the box again. That's just plain ridiculous and poor programming.

Not too long ago threads around here moved like lightening. There were some topics on the Voyager board where you had to quote the post that you were replying to, because by the time you typed your reply 5 other people had already posted. The same goes for some of the the topics in 10F. I really wasn't around the other boards all that much, but I'm sure the same could be said for them.