How do weapons work at FTL speeds?

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 29 2010, 3:04 pm

If phasers are a type of light weapon, how are they fired forward at FTL speeds.  I don't understand how a pursuing ship fires them at a ship it's chasing; they should outrun their own weapons!?!

Also, in the Ent episode "Fallen Hero", Malcolm says they cannot fire aft cause it would disrupt their warp field, so how is the field not disrupted when someone fires at them?

I am equally confused about torpedoes, but I could at least believe they would be functional with a small warp field generator.

Can anybody explain this?

jamesspock1

Report this Sep. 29 2010, 6:53 pm

Again another Boo Boo JJ and his gang, no knowledge of how Star Trek universe function.
Anything goes, all for action and special effect.

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 29 2010, 7:44 pm

This has actually been something they do on all series, firing forward at warp speeds. Its not a Trek '09 thing. It seems the only realistic tactic for warp combat is to get ahead of your opponent and disrupt his warp field, forcing him to sublight velocities where you can use conventional weaponry.

jamesspock1

Report this Sep. 29 2010, 7:52 pm

jamesspock1

Report this Sep. 29 2010, 7:58 pm

I hope I`m not reading you wrong what exactly is (FTL) faster than light speed, and they have probabily screwed up a few times, in the newer series, I just don`t recall any of them.

UNTRugby

Report this Sep. 29 2010, 8:23 pm

Its like throwing a baseball forward from a moving vehicle. It wont just slam back and hit you in the face. There is no reason why phaser wouldn't work at warp based on speed. All though if they were going over a light speed faster than you your phasers wouldnt ever catch up to them.

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 30 2010, 5:42 am

Quote: UNTRugby @ Sep. 29 2010, 8:23 pm

This tactic has been used in all series, btw. As I said, enterprise did it.

UNTRugby

Report this Sep. 30 2010, 6:54 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Sep. 30 2010, 5:42 am

Quote: UNTRugby @ Sep. 29 2010, 8:23 pm

The problem is when you throw a baseball from a moving vehicle, you are not throwing the baseball faster than it is physically capable of traveling, so this illustration doesn't fit. I don't think light weapons could move outside the warp bubble and travel beyond light speed at that point. But, until it is tested experimentally, who knows? This tactic has been used in all series, btw. As I said, enterprise did it.

Tachyons are light particles that can move faster than light so saying lights "speed limit" is the speed of light isnt really true for the ST universe

SSFPhoenix

Report this Sep. 30 2010, 8:02 am

The Enterpirse D as far as I can remember only fired aft torpedoes at warp. What ENT episode are you referencing?

In any case phasers are not normal beam/light based weaponary considering how they have been seen to function.

Let there be pants.

UNTRugby

Report this Sep. 30 2010, 9:30 am

What really got me about the weapons is in TNG phasers were almost useless against ships and in DS9 2 phaser shots make a ship explode

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 30 2010, 11:28 am

UNTRugby,
Tachyons! I can buy that. Sure they are only a theoretical particle, but I can accept their incorporation into a weapon. Ahhhh, I feel somewhat better now.

SSFPhoenix, the episode was fallen hero. I mentioned it in the opening post. I was watching that episode as I posted.

SSFPhoenix

Report this Oct. 01 2010, 8:11 am

Fallen Hero. thanks and sorry I must have missed.

Let there be pants.

chr33355

Report this Oct. 02 2010, 9:30 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

They have done it so often in all the series(Especially VOY) that most don't notice or recall it. Any episode in which a ship is being chased while at warp while being fired upon with phasers is a mistake.... Then again what's the point of having phasers when you only really need torpedoes because they are more effective at bringing down an enemy's shields and doing damage to said ship once the shields are down......
Because you only have a limited number of torpedoes where as you have phasers as long as your warp core is on line.

Camorite

Report this Oct. 02 2010, 1:28 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Torpedoes can be fired at warp not phasers, this was a mistake done in the original series which was corrected afterwards in the newer series.

There you go.

People who wrote TNG had no knowlege of the existing Star Trek universe ie TOS.

The same with the max speed of Warp 10. There were many episodes where the Enterprise went over Warp 10 in TOS. Yest somehow TPTB decided that they would rewrite Trek history.

When TNG did it, it was a 'correction' of the poorly developed TOS universe but if the new move did it in the AU universe it is considered very very bad.

Ummm, yuo do know that Roddenbury was highly involved with the production of TNG during its first few seasons, right?

"What i Hate more then anything else is someone that thinks that they know everything. That must mean that I really hate myself", "Freedom is the right of all setient beings!" (Optimus Prime: Transformers), "That's on small step for man, one giant leap for mankind!" Neil Armstrong 8-5-30 to 8-25-12

Camorite

Report this Oct. 02 2010, 1:31 pm

Its a moot point on that one, as TNG takes place 200 years after Enterprise, and that perticulare problem would have been long since fixed.