Was destroying Vulcan a step too far?

picard_2305

Report this Sep. 16 2010, 6:39 am

I wanted to open up a discussion about the new movie.

First of all I loved the new film despite several gripes with canon changes and plot contrivances.

Well the canon ones don't bother me as the new movie is in a parallel universe.

But one of my major gripes was Vulcan being destroyed. Vulcan is an important part of the Trek universe and didn't like how it quickly was destoryed in the film. Yes it was a risk and did create a new dimension for the universe's Spock from Leonard Nimoy's Spock.

Bottom line is did anyone think JJ Abrams went one step too far in having Vulcan be destroyed?

2takesfrakes

Report this Sep. 16 2010, 7:42 am

While I was surprised, I wasn't offended by that, as a
fan, I just wish they hadn't been so lazy in their
deliberate search for controversy. It was false and it
felt forced. Especially knowing that through yet another
lazy plot device, Vulcan can somehow be "restored." It
wasn't a step too far, if anything it was poinless and
stupid. If Vulcan is never restored, no big loss. I just
hate lazy writing. What do they learn in college, anything?

jamesspock1

Report this Sep. 16 2010, 7:50 am

Destroying Volcan was just pointless, again an other Star Wars rip off.
It seemed like Spock had more emotion in hateing Kirk than grieving for the loss of his mother and planet, if he grieved at all.

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 16 2010, 8:02 am

Vger23

Report this Sep. 16 2010, 9:22 am

Didn't bother me at all. It's entertainment not reality. I don't know how anything can be "going too far" in that respect.

Tragedy and death happen in real life. Star Trek often played it safe. I for one am glad that the creative team decided to insert a clear signal that there are no certainties or sacred cows in this new era of Trek. It makes it more dramatic and realistic.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Invader_Wishfire

Report this Sep. 16 2010, 11:05 am

Quote: picard_2305 @ Sep. 16 2010, 6:39 am

photo spok_zps253ab564.gif

1st kirk

Report this Sep. 16 2010, 3:54 pm

Abrems did go overboard by destroying Vulcan, it was unreal that Vulcan did'nt have a better defence. Same with Earth. It could'nt been that much of a surprise that nobody on either planet did'nt see them coming or mount any defence against the drilling. I guess all the planets defence measures were asleep at the switch or watching lost.

2takesfrakes

Report this Sep. 16 2010, 6:22 pm

Does anyone know Nimoy's reaction, when he
first read the script, or was otherwise
informed about it?

megan512

Report this Sep. 16 2010, 7:30 pm

No, I don't think he went too far. But I was kind of upset that Vulcan was destroyed.

MrMcGwawa

Report this Sep. 16 2010, 8:54 pm

It's quite bold to say the least.

I get the need for Orci and Kurtzman to make such a universe/canon shattering move to assert their positions as the new guys in town and to show that This is not your father's Star Trek! and all that. It very clearly puts the Federation, the political climate of the galaxy, and even the essence of Trek in a new kind of flux.

However, with such a big step being taken, I was really disappointed in how much short shrift it got. Spock is really put through the ringer in this film, but with so much happening so fast, there is just not enough proper time for grief or satisfying character introspection to fully negotiate the tragedy and what it means to Spock and the galaxy.

That's another reason why I think this film is in many ways much more "for the fans" than may have been intended because a familiarity with past Trek would help recall Vulcan's place in the founding of the Federation, its varied technological, political, and cultural influences, and its personal connections to other characters.

Vulcan BLEW UP. That's a BIG DEAL. And it's only a step too far if the films don't let the audience and the characters feel the full effect of that.

I hope the sequel tells us much more about the geopolitical dynamics of the NuFederation so the crazy, breakneck doings of ST:XI will have a clearer context outside of how they relate to the prime universe.

MichaelRiker

Report this Sep. 16 2010, 9:58 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>I was about ready to walk out when Vulcan was destroyed. I never understood for one, why the planet wasn't defended by incredibly powerful orbital weapons platforms. I don't like Vulcans and think the federation would be better without them, but I expect a core world to be treated more solemnly.
You'd expect that But in the history of Star Trek, Earth and Vulcan have always seem vulnerable. You'd think they'd have big fleets around both, not to protect only from Vger/Borg like things but also the Klingons and the Romulans. But in practically every movie, Earth was in danger (TMP, TVH, FC) and in TNG the Romulans tried to sneak in a dozen or so ships (OK maybe it was more) to take over Vulcan. And in ENT the Xindi took out part of the US with a weapon so powerful nobody noticed it. Its done to make the films/episode exciting but in reality you know that your government would not leave your country/planet unprotected to go fight another war. Thats right isn't it?
When Earth was in danger in TMP and TVH it was from entities or probes that were WAY far superior to its defenses that they would have had NO chance to suppress them. In FC The battle with the Borg was touch and go until the Enterprise showed up but Starfleet was handling its own. In "Reunification" (I think that is the episode I hope you were inferring to), the Romulans had THREE Vulcan transports loaded for bear with Romulan soldiers. They were basically going to trick the Vulcans until it was too late. In ENTERPRISE( although i haven't seen it enough to really interpret), wasn't it that the Sulibans enemy the altered timeline so that they could do that? Sure it makes it exciting but in this movie it just seemed to unrealistically plausible how they did get to the point to destroy the entire planet.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Sep. 16 2010, 10:19 pm

The destruction of Vulcan meant nothing to me as it was an alternate Vulcan. If they did it in the prime timeline I would have been annoyed and angry at the writers.

Somniac

Report this Sep. 17 2010, 1:49 am

Quote: iBorg13 @ Sep. 16 2010, 10:19 pm

Sorry, but isn't this now the prime timeline? The original timeline is no longer in production.

What other people think of you is none of your business.

Wildish

Report this Sep. 17 2010, 2:46 am

to what ServalanFan said, sadly it's not, historicly and this isn't always  the case,  as for what happened to Vulcan when theres a major War on, the homelands are the most vunrible to attack, take Peril Harbor for exsample (god I wish I can spell today, my head a mess)  anyway as for Vulcan being Destroyied, I couldn't beleve it and wen they killed off Spocks mum, i was like "nooo!", but what struck me is that they did this In Dr. Who, they destroyed Gallifrey the Doctor's home planet (ok we didn' actually see it happen) and they brought it back from just before, but it was sent back etc, etc,) seems to be a trend, whats next, I know lets blow up Cybertron, oh they done that already (I writing a story where a certain planet is "destroyed" at the cliff hanger of third to last chapter, can you guess which one???)

(incidently any Vulcan fans please check out what I've written in "Ideas for Star Trek 2/12", I think you'll like?)

"In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

captainroe

Report this Sep. 17 2010, 5:55 am

The only way they could get away with destroying Vulcan was by making it a parallel universe story. That in and of itself is the only thing that saved the movie from being TOTALLY reamed by hard core fans. I din't like that aspect of the movie because Vulcan has always been a vital part of the Federation, so with no Vulcan, where do they go from there? That should be a question addressed in the next movie.

I liked the movie (which really surprised me), but by no means is it one of the best. I've only watched it twice. When I bought the movie I expected a lot of canon violations so I totally ignored them.