Should the seires have waited?

Created by: Camorite

Camorite

Report this Sep. 02 2010, 4:28 pm

"What i Hate more then anything else is someone that thinks that they know everything. That must mean that I really hate myself", "Freedom is the right of all setient beings!" (Optimus Prime: Transformers), "That's on small step for man, one giant leap for mankind!" Neil Armstrong 8-5-30 to 8-25-12

24thcenstfan

Report this Sep. 04 2010, 6:11 pm

Yes. I think Scooby summed it.

Join us @ => KEEP ON TREKKIN'

A Friendly Sci-Fi Community!

Kesfan74656

Report this Sep. 04 2010, 9:51 pm

I will say that sounds about right that Rick was pushed to do another then. Maybe the numbers were sufficient from Voyager in their eyes-no, I have no idea, folks, just guessing here, okay, but, they had to have felt the franchise was viable enough to make a profit for them until that point. If it had meant that Enterprise might have had a better shot at survival, and who knows, maybe  might have been better for the next series...but we'll never know...

''If I were captain, i'd open every crack in the universe, and peek inside, just like Captain Janeway does''-Kes, ''The Cloud''

captbates

Report this Sep. 05 2010, 10:16 am

Viewing numbers were already on the slide, with Voyager just avoiding being cancelled. Unless you were a Trek fan a forth TV series within roughly 15 years is definately overkill for viewers. The biggest problem though was the writers managed to alienate the shows core audience with what was seen at the time as poor writing. On top of the fact that most fans wanted a POST Endgame series where we could find out what happened after DS9, VOY, NEM.

Ultimately timing wasn't really a factor, better planning and scripts from the start would make or break the series, simply trying to do TNG in the 22nd century was the problem.

If you can read this it means I've got something to work on here.

Camorite

Report this Sep. 05 2010, 1:51 pm

Quote: captbates @ Sep. 05 2010, 10:16 am

all the more reason why Paramount should have waited on another spinoff instead of plunging reacklessly forward with Enterprise. but they just had to have a hit series that they figured would keep thier dieing network on the air. too bad it had to be Star Trek.

captbates

Report this Sep. 05 2010, 2:09 pm

Quote: Camorite @ Sep. 05 2010, 1:51 pm

Quote: captbates @ Sep. 05 2010, 10:16 am

>Viewing numbers were already on the slide, with Voyager just avoiding being cancelled. Unless you were a Trek fan a forth TV series within roughly 15 years is definately overkill for viewers.

Everything was in place for a new series that could tie in all three 90's shows, the character base was unprecidented, and with new technology from Voyager the writers could have pushed the show into new areas of space, giving us much needed new aliens, or even a chance to use some seen in Voyager, eg Vaadwaur. The sky was the limit, but the "Star Wars created" rush to have a prequel and the idea of showing how it all began obviously appealed to someones vanity more.

If you can read this it means I've got something to work on here.

captainroe

Report this Sep. 07 2010, 6:43 am

Yeah, they should have waited a few years before doing another spin-off. And they should not have done a show about the pre-Federation days. It would have been far better if they had done a show about another aspect of ST such as a series based on Section 31, or somebody like the Klingons or the Vulcans.

As for the ratings of VOY...if I remember correctly, the ratings for a sci-fi show on network tv in its 7th year weren't that bad at all. Thus I don't think there was a correlation between how VOY ended and how bad ENT was throughout its 4 year span(ratings-wise, that is).

tea8765

Report this Sep. 07 2010, 6:03 pm

The series may have got a longer run if it had aired on the coattails of the 2009 reboot vice the disapointing recipts of Nemisis.

Camorite

Report this Sep. 09 2010, 2:46 pm

Quote: tea8765 @ Sep. 07 2010, 6:03 pm

it wouldn't have changed anything had they waited to put Enterprise on after Trek09. Enterprise would still be part of both the prime and the new timelines (since Nero didn't show up up for a long time after the series took place), so the bashers would have still complained about it.

Kesfan74656

Report this Sep. 10 2010, 12:15 pm

I wonder if both Voyager and Enterprise would have been better served, if they'd been done like TNG, and mass-syndicated. Would indeed the numbers have been any worse off for it, than putting them on a network that even I, who just recently came into the Internet world, much less thus availability to the greater fanbase reality, recognized as being down on the bottom rung of the networks....how many other series have tanked there?

Kesfan74656

Report this Sep. 10 2010, 12:52 pm

Star Trek is, for all its male demo,and youth-to 20's market, still about various age groups-and, as the new Dan Madsen blog says, female fans of course of all ages. I think that should be considered, anybody with me here?

lionq1

Report this Sep. 10 2010, 1:38 pm

it was a great series they should have gave it a chance

Kesfan74656

Report this Sep. 10 2010, 1:45 pm

4 years, and all the stories we can write. I keep telling myself to get on that, not to mention my Voyager/Abramstrek etc material. Where is Shran threatening me with bodily harm if I don't when I need him?LOL....

Kesfan74656

Report this Sep. 10 2010, 2:09 pm

I know!!LOL.I was thinking of our Bro when I wrote that...oh, wait...who's that banging on my door?..''PINKSKIIIINNN!!!..''(Yikes)LOL.....Oh, I watched ALL the series! But right now, even if I wanted to, I don't think I can afford to spend money on any DVD collections, beyond the Voyager ones I have, etc.I've always been behind the curve, but I dunno, I've just gotten away from watching what I have bought and taped. I know it sounds disloyal, but, I  DO love mt faves! Sometimes I feel..inferior...because so many fans are able to quote and anaylze to such a significant degree all the series, and I haven't taken quite that tack to whatever extent, but of course I think I can discuss things to a fair degree. I haven't sat down and really reviewed things like many do, and I think that helps from a fan writing standpoint to do so. I spend quite a bit of time online here, now that I've joined, and post every day for an hour or so elsewhere. I've gotten kind of addicted to it, I guess. Back to TNG and DS, I did watch a video clip on Youtube from when the Dominion held the station, and was reminded what a quality, complex series it is. I know CBS.com has some Enterprise shows available. It's a matter of making myself sit down and get back to watching things. I know I'm probably a rarity here, but I have all of Voyager on AUDIOTAPE, and most of S 4 of ENT, plus many favorite TOS. A few months ago, I pulled out some of them and listened to them. I used to do that religiously with my Voyager. Time was, when that was all we had to record st.

Camorite

Report this Sep. 10 2010, 2:32 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>In the Comentary for Broken Bow Berman stated that he had planed on waiting a year or two after Voyager ended to do Enterprise, but that Paramount had pushed him into doing the series right away.

>Now i know that some fans consider this Bermans way of blameing Paramount for the Failer of the series, but regardless of whether it is true or not would the series have been better off haveing waited a year or two after Voyager, or would it have made little difrfernce in your opinion?

I think that most folks that understand exactly what happened with the show realize that #1 They were pushed into it and #2 it was a crappy network. To loosely quote John Billingsly from this years convention in Vegas... "We were on a crappy network that didn't want us, it's an accomplishment we lasted 4 years!!"

Where is UPN now?!?!!!

nice to hear from you again yanks, and of course i have said the same thing on other enterprise and gerneral boards for some time now, the worst thing that Paramount ever did was to pull Voyager off of (in my case) the Fox network, and to not even offer Enterprise to those same networks.

Users browsing this forum: Drunkin Druid, FleetAdmiral_BamBam, FleetAdmiral_BamBam