Would DS9 have been even better with Ro Laren as the Bajoran lead?

WelcomeToQuarks

Report this Sep. 01 2010, 10:20 am

I hate to question anything about the greatest television series ever produced, but I can't help to wonder how DS9 would have been different if Michelle Forbes reprised her role as Ro Laren (instead of Nana Visitor as Kira) as the producers had initially planned.  In the few moments we saw Ro Laren in TNG, she exuded every quality Kira was supposed to have, but I'm not sure Nana ever quite pulled it off.  Agree or Disagree?

UNTRugby

Report this Sep. 01 2010, 10:34 am

Nana and Kira worked well in DS9. I think Ro was to abrasive to go over well.

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 01 2010, 11:04 am

I would have liked to have had ro there and the characters have similarities but two former enterprise crew men seemed a bit of a stretch, three would have been too much. Also, ro joined the maquis. No way she quit, joined the bajoran militia, and obtained a high rank that quickly. Nor do I think starfleet would have agreed to work with/trust her so soon after her defection and before the maquis were destroyed.

OtakuJo

Report this Sep. 01 2010, 7:42 pm

I know I've said this before and pretty sure I've already said so here. But...

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

UNTRugby

Report this Sep. 01 2010, 8:20 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Sep. 01 2010, 11:04 am

They only made the maquis storyline for ro after she turned down DS9

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Sep. 01 2010, 8:23 pm

I like having Kira. Better character... of course, the would have developed Ro more if she had become the lead. Still prefer Kira

2takesfrakes

Report this Sep. 01 2010, 8:41 pm

I agree completely, WelcomeToQuarks!
Very well said. Michelle Forbes would've
been far superior, but that's not what we got.
Nana Visitor was miscast, I really felt that way.

LenaraKhan

Report this Sep. 02 2010, 6:11 am

I love Nana. I think she did a brilliant job, and i didn't even like Nerys at the beginning of the show but at the end she and Odo were two of my favourite characters. I think be needed to see a non 'federation' Bajoran as that was the whole point - working with the federation, not just a new federation crew. I'm not denying that Michelle Forbes would have been good but i liked the way Nana portrayed Kira.

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 02 2010, 1:25 pm

Quote: UNTRugby @ Sep. 01 2010, 8:20 pm

They only made the maquis storyline for ro after she turned down DS9

Really!?! Interesting. That's what I love about the forums, finding out what I don't know. Still, too many Enterprise crew transfers would have been too much. Though I do find Ro hotter and more appealing as a character.

UNTRugby

Report this Sep. 02 2010, 2:49 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Sep. 02 2010, 1:25 pm

Quote: UNTRugby @ Sep. 01 2010, 8:20 pm

They only made the maquis storyline for ro after she turned down DS9

Well the episode of her defecting to the maquis aired near the end of season 2 of DS9, but memory alpha has lot of background info if you are so inclined.

captbates

Report this Sep. 02 2010, 2:59 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Sep. 01 2010, 7:42 pm

I know I've said this before and pretty sure I've already said so here. But... Ro on DS9 would have worked, I think. There is nothing that says she would have had to be in Kira's position as First Officer -- or even to have attained a rank beyond Ensign or perhaps Lt. But what we got with Kira was the non-Starfleet perspective on Deep Space Nine -- an automatic conflict with someone who had no pre-existing loyalty to the Federation, and with whom that trust essentially had to be earned, I guess.

QFT.
Totally agree with both of your points.

If you can read this it means I've got something to work on here.

Sora

Report this Sep. 02 2010, 6:03 pm

It's a hard question, because I do really like Kira, and I would've loved to have Ro on DS9. I know people thought she was too abbrasive, but Kira was that way too at first. I don't think having 3 people on DS9 from TNG would've been an issue, because as Q points out on Q-Less, O'Brian was one of the "little people" and Ro was too. Plus if Ro had been on there, who knows how differently things may have happened. Worf might not have even been on DS9. I think it would've been interesting to see Ro, both a Bajorin and in Starfleet. I'd have loved to see Sisko promote her to either full liuetenant or Lieutenant Commander, and then full Commander when Sisko makes Captain.

Live Long and Prosper

dag1701

Report this Sep. 03 2010, 8:00 pm

Quote: Sora @ Sep. 02 2010, 6:03 pm

Michelle Forbees was asked to be the Bajoran officer on Deep Space Nine. But she turned it down. She does not like long term contracts. She likes reaccuring roles. then moves on. Its how she likes doing her trade. She was asked again to be Voyager but turned it down too.
I just read a interview today with her online. She wants people to stop asking her about Star Trek, it was a long timae ago, she hardly remembers the 9 episodes she was in and has done many more roles since she'd like to talk about. she says in it.

Damien

Report this Sep. 04 2010, 9:44 am

In the first couple season maybe it would have been better simply because Ro had some back story. But I think Nana Visitor is a better actress and brought a lot to the series that I would not want traded for Michelle Forbes

Damien

Quantumflux01

Report this Sep. 04 2010, 12:50 pm

Nah... Wouldn't make any sense making Ro Laren the Bajoran lead. The problem is the first 2 seasons of DS9, Kira was underdeveloped as a character, hence these mutterings on this post about Nana Visitor being miscast... But come season 3 things got alot better with how Kira, as a character, was developed. I think Nana Visitor was the best actress for the job, there may have been others, but she did a mighty fine job alright.

Guilty as charged: fan fic writer. Go to Ad Astra and search for the author Ln X or the series DS9: a continuation. My fan fic stories are on that site.

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam