Was the last episode really that BAD??

WelcomeToQuarks

Report this Aug. 19 2010, 8:37 am

Granted the final episode was not the greatest, but Trip died a hero and the Federation was born.  I wish the Riker/Troi theme had been set on a new ship later in their careers. This would have justified their aging and added to the Trek canon nicely.  But overall, the love between the crewmembers, especially Trip, Archer, and T'Pol, was touching.

2takesfrakes

Report this Aug. 19 2010, 8:43 am

I agree. When T'Pol - who started out hating the smell of humans -
started smelling Trip's shirt, as she was packing it for his parents,
that was touching. And Archer helping Shran save his kid was more than
a little emotionally manipulative, the rescue itself played out well.

Kesfan74656

Report this Aug. 19 2010, 8:52 am

Oh, there were definitely things I loved about TATV..such as in the last moments before Jon takes the podium(MAN, I wanted to hear that speech..so I wrote one myself)...''I'd wish you luck, Captain''(Phlox)''but, you've always had an adequate supply''....Jon starting up the steps, then turning back, to come down, and give T'Pol that hug. I really liked that. As a Vulcan, she could not express as a human might..but, I NEVER had any doubt, as to the bond they shared as friends, and I can see her running at the drop of a hat-as he would her, to come to his aide, if ever he later needed it. I never wanted to see Trip die, but, he did it out of love for his best friend-one of my favorite ST bonds...that little 'wink' he gave Jon(Which Michael Martin and Andy Mangels saw as something a LITTLE different in meaning)It's been a long time since I last saw the episode, but, it wasn't all bad....just could have been better.

''If I were captain, i'd open every crack in the universe, and peek inside, just like Captain Janeway does''-Kes, ''The Cloud''

Cel

Report this Aug. 19 2010, 10:04 am

I think it may have been the TNG framing story that did it for some folks. The bits that focused simply on the NX-01 crew was fine except, IMO, but I could see how Trip fans might have been unhappy...

Reanok

Report this Aug. 19 2010, 11:12 am

This aint the Valentine was the worst series finale of a Star trek series I've watched.. Trip's death  was senseless and stupid.I was really unhappy about about the way they had to shoehorn a Tng episode in to the finale and shoved aside the Enterprise cast for a holodeck fantasy.I liked the Trip and Malcolm scene and Trip& T'Pol scene. Also the scene where T'Pol was packing Trip's belonings and the ending scene where they had the different ships. I like Riker &Troi buyt they didn't belong in the series finale it should've been the final storyarc Manny Cotto had planned after Terra Prime instead.

Kesfan74656

Report this Aug. 19 2010, 11:59 am

I haven't seen many, or any, who haven't found fault with it, and I'm not one to be overly critical of trek in general. The TNG matter is undoubtedly the biggest part of the problem. Jonathan himself acknowledged that issue at Vegascon two weeks ago, and had very nice things to say about how Scott treated he and Marina, as they'd in my words essentially stepped in on their turf at the most crucial moment, especially as ENT was ending far too soon.

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 20 2010, 5:45 am

I agree that the Riker/Troi bit should have occurred on the Titan, maybe to bring attention to it, but to tie the finale to an old and unimportant episode of TNG was stupid, poorly delivered, and seemed to say Enterprise wasn't good enough to finish its story alone.

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 20 2010, 5:52 am

As for killing Tripp and the NX-01, this angered me. A 10 year old ship is really useless and needs to be mothballed!?! What a waste. Drexler's refit makes so much more sense! Tripp's sacrifice was noble but seemed as pointless as Tasha Yar's, I just think tripp could have found a better way. Also, ending with archer's speech would have been nice.

Jim Kirk

Report this Aug. 20 2010, 6:35 am

I guess it wasnt all that bad.  It was a major disappointment.

Things I would like to change:

TNG crew and the whole holodeck section --- Remove it.

Tripps death --- an injury would have been better

Tpol and Tripp should have gotten together

We should have seen Archers speach

Archer or shatner shoud have doen the "Boldly go" speach

Jim Kirk

Kang - "Only a fool fights in a burning house"

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 20 2010, 9:17 am

I disagree about t'pol and tripp getting together. Wasn't spock the first hybrid? No doubt if they were married they would have had a kid, especially after the cloning incident. In fact had tripp of lived this may have happened.

Middleman

Report this Aug. 20 2010, 2:44 pm

I have to say that there was absolutely nothing I liked about "These Are The Voyages", with the possible exception of the ending sequence.

Middleman

Report this Aug. 20 2010, 2:51 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Aug. 20 2010, 9:17 am

Just an FYI, there is no canon evidence anywhere in Star Trek that says Spock was the first Vulcan/Human Hybrid. In Gene Roddenberry's book, "The Making of Star Trek", published in the late 1960's he states something along the lines that Vulcan/Human hybrids are rare but do occur in his Trek Universe. The assumption would be that Spock was not the first. I can dig out the book over the weekend and give you an exact site. What is canon is that the first Vulcan/Human hybrids were Lorain and Elizabeth.

Kesfan74656

Report this Aug. 21 2010, 9:49 am

Myself being part of the 'new blood'...who feels you hit on so many salient points, Yanks. Pretty darn good analysis, compadre.

Jim Kirk

Report this Aug. 22 2010, 4:16 am

Can you imagine how hard it would have been for the writers of "enterprise" to write the most memorable speach EVER!  We (includig my self) are annoyed that we heard none of the speach, but imagine the presure of sitting down and actually writing it.

Jim Kirk

Kang - "Only a fool fights in a burning house"

NCC1701RS

Report this Aug. 23 2010, 4:26 pm

Me Personal I think Enterprise had its ups and downs. Some Storys were and others i just could not get into. But Most of the Star Trek Shows are Like that. They drag for a bit but get good. I am a fan of TNG, Voyager, A Little Bit Of DS9, And The TOS. Enterprise was not that great of a show. It Was Ok Of A show. Maybe if they lived for another season we may have seen a changed. But who knows really.

"Let's make sure that history never forgets the name... Enterprise"

Users browsing this forum: wissa, wissa, FleetAdmiral_BamBam