Did Kirk's death totally piss you off as it did me?

Scrimm528

Report this Aug. 15 2010, 11:08 am

For Kirk to be killed in the most lackluster of the film series (besides 5 but the camping scenes were classic), is total bullcrap. They should have left it the way it was. The man died a hero and I didnt need to know that malcolm mcdowell did it. I didn't need to know any details. Especially the set of details used in that hunk of crap!!! I mean, come on, I always thought he would have been stabbed by a jealous orion slave girl while in a bazaar like the one Pike had in one of his fantasies. That would have been fitting.

Kesfan74656

Report this Aug. 15 2010, 11:21 am

I'd as soon not seen Jim go out at all..but...he did ''make a difference''. And it was great seeing he, Jimmy Doohan, and Walter back on screen again. I never hated, or disliked the film; but, like Bill Shatner, I wanted him to live, and don't blame him for starting the Shatnovels, several of which I have.

''If I were captain, i'd open every crack in the universe, and peek inside, just like Captain Janeway does''-Kes, ''The Cloud''

2takesfrakes

Report this Aug. 15 2010, 11:42 am

No, I was not totally P.O.'d over Kirk's death scene.

Shatner's acting was amongst his worst, while Kirk was pinned down and dying.
A trickle of blood, but otherwise surprisingly lucid for what had just happened.
They were going to have Kirk die, by getting shot in the back, by Soran, actually!
Whatever, just get on with it. By then, Shatner was bloated, his eyes blood-shot
and squinty and he was surprisingly orange. Whether Kirk got killed, or how, Shat's
days of playing Kirk were over, even then. But when The Shat dies, I will be P.O.'d!

Vger23

Report this Aug. 15 2010, 11:48 am

I thought it was fine. The character went out with dignity and honor:

He saved friends (and family of friends) aboard the Enterprise-B, and then he sacrificed eternal life to save 230 million people he had never met nor had any connection to. It was a selfless act, and it was all true to the character.

For all the flaws in Generations, I thought the death was well done. I'm glad they avoided lame "blaze of glory" cliches.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

williamslakesm

Report this Aug. 15 2010, 1:16 pm

I was disappointed with the whole concept of making a movie just to revolve around killing Kirk to make way for a new franchise, I mean generation. Kirk rocked. They should have just let his life continue and leave it to the imagination, like him dying an old man reflecting on past glory like many heros. The whole plot device was so shot full of holes anyways, I just consider the movie a bad dream. And I liked Star Trek V.

NCC1701RS

Report this Aug. 15 2010, 6:13 pm

It did not bother me at all. Spock Dying that pissed me off but thank god he came back alive.
With Kirk Dying it just showed you that no one can live forever, even if you are very famous person in star trek world. All things must come to end as they say. But his history and story's live on forever.

"Let's make sure that history never forgets the name... Enterprise"

GoudaBeluga

Report this Aug. 15 2010, 6:18 pm

It did piss me off, but not as much as when Spock's death. We know he would have died eventually, but we didn't need to see it.

ownerer

Report this Aug. 15 2010, 7:34 pm

the fact that kirk died i dint realy hate what i hated was how he died, it wasnt ina  epic battle just a acident cause of a screw up.

we decide fate, fate decides us

Spock82

Report this Aug. 15 2010, 8:34 pm

Death is Inevitable. to go out in battle is an honor.

Live Long And Prosper

2takesfrakes

Report this Aug. 16 2010, 6:51 am

I don't know what it is with the Franchise Mentality,
but once a novel idea is included in one movie, it has
to get regurgitated in one show after another. Spock dies,
now we have to have one favorite character from each series
die. When the ENTERPRISE blew up in STAR TREK 3, it was almost
shocking. Now it's fairly common for the hero ship to get blown
up because, apparently, audiences just love repetition. And if
someone dies, naturally, we can always bring them back - and have.
So none of that has any impact, anymore. It's just like, "Next ..."

williamslakesm

Report this Aug. 16 2010, 8:12 am

Quote: 2takesfrakes @ Aug. 16 2010, 6:51 am

I don't know what it is with the Franchise Mentality, but once a novel idea is included in one movie, it has to get regurgitated in one show after another. Spock dies, now we have to have one favorite character from each series die. When the ENTERPRISE blew up in STAR TREK 3, it was almost shocking. Now it's fairly common for the hero ship to get blown up because, apparently, audiences just love repetition. And if someone dies, naturally, we can always bring them back - and have. So none of that has any impact, anymore. It's just like, "Next ..."

Star Trek Generations was one big regurgitation: main character dying and ship blowing up of course........but also that horrible Bird of Prey model, that was really cool in 1985, but was so overused I hated it well in a few years.Seriously, would it have killed the production designers to build a new Klingon vessel for this movie, or at least use one of those cool Klingon Battleships we only saw like twice in the Next Generation.

Darmok Jalad Tanagra

Report this Aug. 17 2010, 7:29 am

kirks dead was already staring you in the face for the entire movie, besides kirk was not a klingon so I think he didnt mind it

'Why does the tall man have a fury face?'

BeeBee26

Report this Aug. 17 2010, 3:51 pm

Why is the lay out of some of the posts all over to the left side?  And Yes, I did not like Kirk's death.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Aug. 17 2010, 6:18 pm

Kirk's death should have been the way he died on the Enterprise B. They should left it as that. Taking out the Enterprise D the way that the the writers did was a slap in the face to the Enterprise D. I admit that I was never crazy about the design of her, but she did not have to go out like that ... taken down by a TWENTY year old Bird of Prey. No excuse.

Facts from Memory Alpha:

The Klingons applied several class designations to the different types of their Bird-of-Prey design, including the K'vort-class, B'rel-class and D12-class. The D12-class was retired from service by the 2350s due to faulty plasma coils, which were components of the cloaking systems. (Star Trek Generations) By the 2360s, it was not uncommon to find a B'rel-class Bird-of-Prey stripped and relegated to a surplus yard. Ferengi DaiMon Lurin acquired two of these vessels, complete with cloaking devices, and managed to make them space worthy once again, after a few repairs and the addition of some weapons. (TNG: "Rascals")

All this was done to make sure that there was no way to bring Kirk back. I know that Kirk died to saved untold billions of lives, but they way the did it still sucks. Whatever the grand display Starfleet honored Kirk, we the fans deserve to see it. Not the sorry way Kirk's death was shown to us.

I always party at Starbase 63!

Starbase

NitroBlaster96

Report this Aug. 17 2010, 9:39 pm

The Death of James T. Kirk....where do i start? Well For starters it could have been better.  I saw the original death of him being shot in the back and that would have been better.  Well maybe as picard sets the self destruct up he goes in a fistfight with soran and they both land near the missile. Hwn it goes off theu both kirk falls and the death goes on as teh regular one did

- It was fun... oh my - James T. Kirk - I have been and always shall be your friend. -Spock At the time of their deaths their responses were different.

Users browsing this forum: miklamar