Why aren't they moderating here ?

wissa

Report this Aug. 09 2010, 6:57 am

I have seen a lot of baiting and trolling, and there doesn't seem to be an adequate way to report it.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Ryssk

Report this Aug. 09 2010, 4:51 pm

This is where a PM system and a list of admins with links to their profiles would be handy. Send off a PM to one of the admins, with more specific info about what you're reporting someone for, and there you go.

Ryssk

Report this Aug. 09 2010, 5:24 pm

I do agree that over-moderation can kill a board. However, a lack of any moderation whatsoever can also be detrimental. I mean, even 4chan has some moderation, for cripes' sake.

Edit: I feel I should clarify. I also agree that this board is, as DrGojira put it, "very mild". However, without moderation, things can get out of control very fast. Then there are the bots - and believe me, they'll come. You'll want someone here to delete bot posts, trust me.

Mirrorgirl

Report this Aug. 10 2010, 6:51 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>It bores me that your vocabulary is nugatory. In fact, you are quite dull indeed. *Yawn* Put the thesaurus away, you are not impressing anyone, a flame or bait remains one even if sprouted with fancy words by someone who thinks he can hide his intent that way. You are still a troll.

Whoa issues...

Over the years, Star Trek has inspired people of all races and nationalities to strive toward a future where all of mankind’s ills could be healed, where technology worked for the good of everyone, where the unknown was something to be curious about rather than something to be frightened of.

Ryssk

Report this Aug. 10 2010, 1:34 pm

Whoa, whoa. Easy, guys.

* waves a white flag *

Arguments like this are why I think we need at least a ref to keep us from descending into barbarism. We can discuss things civilly, like grown, rational adults.

wissa

Report this Aug. 10 2010, 1:58 pm

moderators should be able to tell the difference between a post that is a different opinion and a post that breaks the rules. shouldn't make any difference at all what the motivation of the reporter is if the post breaks the rules.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

wissa

Report this Aug. 10 2010, 4:26 pm

lol can anyone tell what the new part of that quote was?

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

wissa

Report this Aug. 11 2010, 8:14 am

It seems rather curious that the old boards are still being moderated and these don't seem to be

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

caltrek2

Report this Aug. 13 2010, 5:09 am

"Did someone decide to start doing the adult thing by not responding to flames and baits and start reporting instead?"

I don't think the kind of massive reporting to moderators that took place in the months before the old boards shut down constituted "doing the adult thing".

A lot of accusations have been made in this thread, and I do not have enough information to conclude as to whether they are accurate or not. What I do know is that I was suspended from the old boards. I also noticed on the old boards that some were beginning to complain about being personally insulted simply because somebody else  disagreed with them on some political issue. Sadly, these were actually "liberals" who other wise agreed with many of my political positions.

It is hard for me to make absolute and categorical statements about what should be done. Personally, I tend to favor a free for all debate forum that allows a wide latitude for expression of personal beliefs. I would rather have somebody insult me and have an opportunity to respond to those insults than to have such persons banned.

Having said that, it is clear that there is a need for some moderation. There have been rumors of sexually oriented predation wherein some seem to be targeting the young and the naive in a totally inappropriate manner. Clearly, some effort to protect the innocent needs to be engaged in.

Unfortunately, this opens the door for people to accuse each other of having such motivations simply because of disagreements on other issues. In the past, I have made satirical observations about the over all situation that some seem to have been interpreted as being critical of admin. I did not intend such remarks to be interpreted in that way. There are things going on that I do not totally understand, so I do not feel comfortable in acting as if I do have a total understanding of those things. Without such understanding, I feel compelled to give admin the benefit of a doubt. They have a very difficult job in sorting through all of this insanity and I don't envy them one bit.

"Can't we all just get along..."

Apparently not.