3D WIP - USS Enterprise NCC-1701 Deck by Deck

havoc92

Report this Jul. 27 2010, 8:03 am

Well, I posted this apparently on the old forums.. abbreviated as it were; so, here goes.

This is a 3d Work in progress of the USS Enterprise based on the plans by Franz Joseph

primarily.  This is a 2 year work in progress at the moment.  The below represents the current

project overview.  Just wanted to give a heads up to folks over here as I've been solicited to do on

many other sites.  Enjoy.

Polycount: 579,477

..The polycount has now been cut more than  in half even with additions to the geometry in terms of making
floor and ceilings seperate pieces and adding some beginnings of structural support beams.

Decks 14 dorsal and decks 15-24 in the secondary hull are now complete for the cleanup pass.
The Shuttlebay has been cut free and stands alone.
Engineering is it's own section now.
And the primary hull decks 8-11 are all now complete.

Breathe.

More to come ;)

The build is primarily hosted at 3dbuzz.com

I'm currently trimming the polycount of the model and working to seperate components of each deck for ongoing work toward exporting this model for use in game engines.

GreenDragon527

Report this Jul. 28 2010, 1:14 am

This looks great! gives a sense of how big the ship was and how the crew lived on it, keep up the good work!

havoc92

Report this Sep. 11 2010, 10:29 am

Quote: GreenDragon527 @ Jul. 28 2010, 1:14 am

Thanks guys. She's still progressing. I'm kindof still slogging through seperating out the elements of deck 6 right now. It's the last big deck to do, then it should be a steady run back up to the bridge deck. Not far from being able to start building dressup elements and texturing.

"..the days of me not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds, Firefly.

megan512

Report this Sep. 11 2010, 11:16 am

Wow, that looks amazing! Great job!

Kesfan74656

Report this Sep. 11 2010, 3:40 pm

Impressive!

''If I were captain, i'd open every crack in the universe, and peek inside, just like Captain Janeway does''-Kes, ''The Cloud''

ShirtlessKirk

Report this Sep. 12 2010, 6:23 pm

This is amazing work! So detailed and it gives such a good feel for the size of the ship. OK DUMB QUESTION: is this for the TOS Enterprise? I'm assuming so, but I never saw any of the Next Generation shows so I don't know what they did (if anything) to the ship.

havoc92

Report this Sep. 14 2010, 12:01 pm

Slogging along...

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/havoc211/progress_091410_2.jpg[/IMG]

This shows the cutting down of deck 6 underway. The floor has been cut free, then seperated into the actual deck 6 floor and deck 7 ceiling. The outer skin wall has been removed and will be seperated into outer/inner skins. The walls are seperated out as well and the turbolifts are a seperate item still. All have been trimmed further as the process continues and the polycount
thusly continues to fall even with the addition of new items into the mix. :)

Deck 6 is at this point about 50 percent completed. The image doesn't show a lot, thus the reason I haven't been posting very much of late. The work right now as I've said before is just
sheer tedium. There isn't a real change in any of the geometry other than getting rid of geometry that isn't needed. The structure remains largely unchanged.

More to come. ;)

havoc92

Report this Sep. 14 2010, 12:06 pm

Quote: ShirtlessKirk @ Sep. 12 2010, 6:23 pm

This is based on the plans by Franz Joseph designs. It is essentially TOS/pre-TOS canon that has been relied upon by Paramount. The lower hull and the upper saucer area are the primary differences you'll notice between it and the model from TOS. This ship has a somewhat greater overall internal volume. The easy way to say it is that this is the raw
Constitution class ship before it was modified.

Wildish

Report this Sep. 14 2010, 4:12 pm

wow i like that pic, is it in the gallery?

"In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

havoc92

Report this Sep. 16 2010, 7:05 pm

Deck 6 cleanup is now complete:

Here's the deck assembled

wireframe...

and rendered exploded views.

Five decks to go.

Kesfan74656

Report this Sep. 17 2010, 3:46 am

I think Fleet Engineering needs you on its staff!LOL.

havoc92

Report this Sep. 17 2010, 4:06 am

Quote: Kesfan74656 @ Sep. 17 2010, 3:46 am

I think Fleet Engineering needs you on its staff!LOL.

Think they can spare a team of subbordinates? lol

havoc92

Report this Sep. 21 2010, 3:17 am

Here are shots of the completed work on deck 5.  Lots of complicated geometry.  It's been simplified now.  Still a little work to do in seaming up the ceiling for deck 6 as part of it had to be cut from the deck 5 floor and from the outer hull ring; but, minor stuff at this point by comparison.

..30 percent transparency render.

Deck 4 work has already begun.

havoc92

Report this Sep. 23 2010, 4:09 am

Deck4 is now completed:

wireframe..

30 percent transparency render.

Work on deck 3 has begun.

Wildish

Report this Sep. 24 2010, 2:17 am

Wow this is so cool, can't wait to see the bridge

"In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king."