Why do random crewman/women lack common courtesies? Especially in 24th Century Trek?

SuperSchlegs22

Report this Jul. 26 2010, 7:41 pm

Whenever I watch an episode of Star Trek (ANY series) and a random crewman talks with a senior officer why are they so rude? Most of the time they don't even TALK at all! No "thankyous", no "hellos", no 'How are you doing today Commander?" etc. etc.  They all seem like complete ungrateful DUDS. Anything for me?

SuperSchlegs22

Report this Jul. 26 2010, 7:42 pm

This is especially true fro episodes of TNG, DS9 and VOY.

I love Star Trek! I watch at least one episode a day. I NEED to. It's a HUGE part of my life and it has enhanced every aspect of it. I owe so much to Gene Roddenberry, all the great minds behind it all, and of course, STAR TREK itself! L.L.A.P.

Grev Per

Report this Jul. 27 2010, 6:59 am

Also when they talk on the viewscreen, they just hang-up without further ado.

The obvious reason is because it would be boring to watch and waste screen time.

SuperSchlegs22

Report this Jul. 27 2010, 1:37 pm

I can accept these reasons I guess. But for me I couldnt just walk past Captain Janeway or any ranking officer in the corrider and not at least say "hello". The episode that just SCREAMS rude crewman is the VOY episode "Message in a Bottle". When Tom Paris takes over as Chief Medical Officer briefly and treats those patients with heartburn they can't even say "thank you" after Tom treats them. They have no sense of humor and don't speak at all they fucking piss me off. If I were them, shit, I'd be having the best time of my life serving under such distinguished officers such as Picard, Sisko, Dax, Riker, Tuvok, Paris, etc. etc. What I'm basically saying is that I would actually be grateful to the officers I serve under.

2takesfrakes

Report this Jul. 27 2010, 3:06 pm

Art tries to imitate life, as well. People are just rude, that's all. They don't say "please," or "thank you," unless they're interested in you. People are becoming more rude, all the time, as if that's "Keeping it Real." Because if you use Common Courtesy, apparently, you're being "fake" with people. Also, some courtesies, like say "Bless You" when someone sneezes, just need to be done away with. And I'm sure it's this kind of mindset at work, as well. Then again, it could just be that if these extras in the hall end up saying "hi," then that means you have to pay them for a line, that's not in the budget ...

vlnist2

Report this Jul. 27 2010, 3:14 pm

Quote: 2takesfrakes @ Jul. 27 2010, 3:06 pm

Haha, this is probably the most likely. I mean, it's just a TV show, first off. But in reality, it is about screen time. And Tom did just walk away from them and talk to Harry.

As far as saying Hi to senior officers, as much time as they spend talking in the hallways, can you imagine being interrupted by 400 crewmen a day saying "Hi"? Not very efficient, is it Seven?

Picard: "Mr. Worf, fire at will!" Riker: "What the hell did I do?"

Grev Per

Report this Jul. 27 2010, 3:18 pm

People who aren't part of the Screen Actor's Guild weren't allowed to have speaking lines in ST.

Hence why the King of Jordan didn't have any lines in his Voyager cameo.

Users browsing this forum: JOYOFVGR