William Riker - A captain you would follow or someone to have a beer with?

jziga1

Report this Jul. 26 2010, 9:08 am

William Riker - A captain you would follow or someone to have a beer with?

2takesfrakes

Report this Sep. 27 2010, 8:09 am

The answer to that question is clear,
at least to me: Both!

For instance, in Matter of Honor, Riker
proves his ability to adapt and overcome
onboard a Klingon vessel. His people-skills
are also permitted to shine, along with his
command ability. In BEST of BOTH WORLDS, he'd
proved himself, most admirably, against Locutus.

As far as having a beer with him - anytime!
He's a charmer with the ladies and cool to
hang around with, in general. Having Deanna
was also no small feather in his cap, being
among the sexiest and kindest women onboard.

jamesspock1

Report this Sep. 27 2010, 8:21 am

Same here, I'd like to have a beer, and serve under him. He knew when to be in command and when it was time to let loose, alwayse with dignity.

Kesfan74656

Report this Sep. 27 2010, 8:25 am

I'd ask for a nonalcoholic beverage, but, I'd like to hang out with Will Riker, and be glad to serve under him. I think that, like Kirk, he'd inspire  and ensure loyalty with his humor, cleverness, and amiable manner.I'd ship out with him.

''If I were captain, i'd open every crack in the universe, and peek inside, just like Captain Janeway does''-Kes, ''The Cloud''

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 27 2010, 9:56 am

Hanging out with riker won't be as good with synthahol, kesfan.
If I have to choose, I'd take follow. He seems like a great guy, but more so he is a strong leader. I respect him for taking time to take command, he didn't put ambition ahead of learning to be a good leader and waiting until the time was right. I'd follow him any day.

Roboto

Report this Sep. 27 2010, 12:02 pm

I also must say that I can picture doing both; however, if I was forced to make a single choice, I would say "have a beer". Perhaps it is because he is NOT the Captain in TNG, but I picture him best going out among the crew and sitting with them, drinking with them, and talking to them as if he were "one of them".

2takesfrakes

Report this Sep. 27 2010, 4:01 pm

And now a word from our Sponsor ...

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Sep. 29 2010, 1:44 am

Neither, I'd just run off with Troi.

miklamar

Report this Nov. 24 2010, 10:28 pm

I was thinking about how much Riker had wanted to be the captain of the Enterprise. He never got the chance and became captain of the Titan. I got to thinking that, if I were him, I wouldn't want to captain the Enterprise, after all that. Becoming its captain might mean some justification, but it would also bring back too many unpleasant memories--having to wait so long, and the crew would be different than before.

Riker was better off becoming the captain of a different ship--and a different class of ship--in my opinion.  Now, he can chart his own future, without feeling he was simply following in the footsteps of the Enterprise's other illustrious commanders.

I'd be very honored to buy Captain Riker a drink in the lounge.

captainjeremyhuff

Report this Nov. 28 2010, 3:55 pm

i would follow Captain Riker into the unknown and beyond because he knows when to be cool and when to be serious, Energy Drink for me *laughs

scottjimenez

Report this Dec. 12 2010, 6:46 am

Definitely a beer with the Captain. He never gave an order that he was'nt prepared to carry out himself.

One damn minute, Admiral.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Dec. 12 2010, 7:23 pm

Both. I think he would be a great officer to serve with.

In the non - canon "Titan" novels he shows himself to be adequate to any challenge, and a good CO.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 13 2010, 4:30 am

Titan really solidifies Riker in the center chair. He managed to balance both quite well. Interestingly, all his shuttles are named for jazz musicians.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Dec. 13 2010, 5:53 am

Which I think is cool - as it adds a personal touch.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

24thcenstfan

Report this Dec. 13 2010, 1:42 pm

Riker is a competent leader, and I would have no problem serving on a ship of his command.

I'd play poker with him or attend other group social gatherings too.

Join us @ => KEEP ON TREKKIN'

A Friendly Sci-Fi Community!