Is this game worth the money?

BorgBeauty

Report this Jul. 24 2010, 3:28 am

I know the reviews have been so so but I want the opinons of some trek fans instead of game reviewers. Is it really as full of repetition, grinding and boredom as I've reading or does the novelty value of playing as a star trek captain still hold after months of playing?

Gokyu

Report this Aug. 09 2010, 12:04 pm

Well I've been playing the game since Open Beta (Jan 12th) and I absolutely love it! Just the fact that it's set in the Star Trek Universe and you Captain a starship and get to blow up Klingons and Romulans and Borg is fantastic! They also are constantly adding new stuff, so for me it's hard to be bored. However I guess if your a really great gamer and have alot of time to spend doing it, it could get boring once you had leveled up all the way. But with the new stuff coming out and the stuff on the horizon, I defintely think it's worth it!

W1ll

Report this Aug. 09 2010, 12:14 pm

As a game, STO is actually rather good as Gokyu said. However as a game that 'feels' Star Trek it is greatly lacking. There is too much emphasis on combat and little exploration. They are currently adding more diplomatic missions but they feel very linear. Overal, as a game it is very good, but it is not really Star Trek.

vorrac

Report this Aug. 11 2010, 11:00 pm

I`ve been playing this game for past 3 months and all i can say is "Fascinating"!

tea8765

Report this Aug. 12 2010, 8:47 am

The only saving grace for me is that it is set in the Star Trek universe, as a game its basically the same thing over and over, fight in space, fight on the ground, some side mission like delivering supplies and relief but all and all its mostly combat which is not what Star Trek is all about for me.  I have seen way better RPG's Fallout 3, Mass Effect, to name a few.  The graphics are really not all that good for me, but that may be my laptop, and there is not a lot of detail to the planets you can beam down to.  Not much sandbox play which I was hoping for and the whole point of designing it as an "online" game is just to keep you paying for a subscription there is no in game necessity to interact with other players.  I would have preferred a new XBox 360 or PS3 Star Trek RPG.

They are adding new content and I am looking forward to playing the Klingon side.  Despite the problems I am still glad I bought it and would say yet it is worth the money, after all ITS STAR TREK!!!!

fastback64

Report this Aug. 13 2010, 9:36 am

I have played since February and if you like Star Trek you will like this game. Yes there is a bit more shoot em up action than may be appropriate for Star Trek but the game is constantly changing. They have recently added diplomatic missions where your actions have concequences and you can work your way up to first contact with new races looking for UFP admission. I have also read exploration missions are on the horizon. Right now most of the missions are story based and draw from Star Trek canon. I have fought a doomsday machine, gone through the gateway (city on the edge of forever), gone to fluidic space and of course fought off Borg, Klingons and Romulans. Bottom line is I just like being in command of my own starship and tooling around the galaxy.

So if you are a Star Trek fan, I think, you should give it a try.

TLOVeritas

Report this Aug. 15 2010, 4:03 pm

I played the Open Beta.

I did not approve.

I don't know how much it's improved since then, but I'm not really willing to pay $40 + $15/mo to find out.

ownerer

Report this Aug. 15 2010, 7:49 pm

my brother played the beta he said that it wasnt that good, i researched it and dint see anything realy interesting.what a let down.

we decide fate, fate decides us

fastback64

Report this Aug. 16 2010, 1:02 pm

Not trying to promote it but, it is a signficantly different game, especially since beta.  My hardcore MMO friends aren't huge fans but this is my first and I think it's worth at least a try.

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 19 2010, 8:09 am

If you are a trekky, you petty much have to play it. Its all that's going on in the prime universe now. The game does get repetitious but it has a good story and the play is getting improved. Season 2 has introduced some nice changes and I think it will only get better. So play it to live your trek fantasy, be am alien, name a ship, etc but also because it is getting better and you want to be ranked up when it does.

Vetinari

Report this Aug. 21 2010, 10:08 am

I played the game so months and yes, it is as bad as the reviews told. Playing in Aklingin is grinding from the start and total boredom. While Atari caters only to the Federation players and ignors the Klingons at all, they treat the Klingons as second class players at best.

The great changes promised for Season 2 to the Klingon side never happened, while the Federation got again the major part of upgrades. Even during the last engineering report the promises given after Season 2 for Klingons quietly vanished, being replaced with new Federation contents.

Can't mind all the guys chancelling their subscriptions, when being handeled this way.

Rhysenn

Report this Aug. 22 2010, 8:19 pm

As much as I love Star Trek I'm not so good with technology myself. I wanna get the game but not if it's too complicated for me to play. How complicated is it?

tea8765

Report this Aug. 23 2010, 6:25 pm

Quote: Rhysenn @ Aug. 22 2010, 8:19 pm

Not complicated... AT ALL, seriously kind of to easy: point, click, repeat.

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 24 2010, 6:11 am

MMO are a bit more complicated than your normal video game, so you may not like it. My wife is a gamer and trek fan but doesn't enjoy STO's game play. I suggest you get a free 5 day pass and try it. I am just hoping players don't lose interest and the game be discontinued, then it would all be a waste.

star_rose

Report this Aug. 24 2010, 11:27 pm

I have been playing since June, now I am Lieutnant Commander 9. I like very much Star Trek videogames, but I find this game very difficult, some missions are very simple, another ones are difficult.

Users browsing this forum: sonofspock1