Time for a revote. Do you like the "new" message board ?

Created by: Fleet_Engineer

DS9TREK

Report this Jul. 22 2010, 5:32 pm

In an ideal world I'd love to see this board dumped and the Ikonboard st.com restored to full glory. That's no disrespect to the staff or their work, I just think all message board software is inferior to Ikonboard.

To be positive, this new board is easy on the eye and if it worked it'd be easy to use and navigate. So if we eventually get all the functionality of the Ikonboard message board I'll be happy. Especially if we get a button that will take you to the first unread post in a thread and also an edit button. I have OCD and not being able to edit each of my posts 10,000 times is killing me inside.

Corwin8

Report this Jul. 22 2010, 6:08 pm

As good a board as Nemesis was a movie.

31st_Century_Temporal_Age
nt

Report this Jul. 22 2010, 8:15 pm

This new homemade forum is by far the worst I have ever seen. Even when it is fixed it may not be such an eyesore but it won't be as user friendly as the old forum. I think I need temporary admin access so I can fix the forums. It may take me about 2 or 3 hours max but I can fix all this and even add another forum for Trek fan productions. I made an owned a video game forum years ago and this should not be much more difficult if at all.

gdog243

Report this Jul. 22 2010, 8:24 pm

No. They haven't given me a reason to like it either and I actually want to.

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Jul. 23 2010, 8:48 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Doing this poll because I think a lot of the yes votes in the original poll are not from genuine posters.

Thanks for doing this. I see alot of the positive posters are one-post wonders in the original.

WillyLey

Report this Jul. 23 2010, 5:24 pm

It's horrible.

CO_Fowler

Report this Jul. 23 2010, 11:16 pm

No! I still think that if they weren't going to have this one up and running the right way from the get-go they should have asked over on the other site/MBs for volunteers to test the Beta ST.com new site/MBs and then they should have left the other site up for a certain amount of time UNTIL this site/MBs are fixed.

Otherwise they just might lose members, old and new alike. Just my oh-so-humble-opinion

R.I.P. My sweet Casey Bug. Mommy will see you again one day :`o( 18DEC01-24SEP11 / "Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."~Scott Stratten /It's a lot like nuts and bolts-if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts! ~Nicholas Evans /IDIC-Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination/Sgt Esterhaus: Hey, let's be careful out there!/4000/ To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone

K_tigress

Report this Jul. 23 2010, 11:38 pm

I think the major problem lies with the fact that they tried very hard to keep the original post counts intact by preserving old threads, which now have turned out to be sort of a mission impossible in terms of having organized threads. If they have done like other message boards like just preserve the users name and password and sacrificed the post count on the move there would probably be a lot less headaches for programmers but a lot of disappointed older fans/users. It’s pretty much a "loose-loose" position.

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. -Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Dendodge

Report this Jul. 24 2010, 6:25 am

I like the look of it and a lot of the features are pretty cool. However, it is almost impossible to actually use due to a multitude of bugs. I voted no.

truefan1

Report this Jul. 24 2010, 7:32 am

It is getting better. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks...

Ryssk

Report this Jul. 24 2010, 7:51 am

You'd get a "yes" vote from me if you'd bring back/add these features:

1. Full WYSIWYG editor, a la vBulletin

2. Allow users to edit their posts, a la vBulletin

3. Forum searches, a la vBulletin

4. Links to go directly to the last post or page in a thread, a la vBulletin

5. Links to the most recent posts on the forum, a la vBulletin

6. A PM system, a la vBulletin

... You know what? It might be easier to just install vBulletin and transfer everything to it. O.o

CaptJaimieKirk

Report this Jul. 24 2010, 9:32 am

No, it's very messed up. I dont like the fact that new threads are being swallowed up and are disappearing to threads that are as old 8 or 9 years.

DS9TREK

Report this Jul. 24 2010, 10:44 am

Quote: Ryssk @ Jul. 24 2010, 7:51 am

You'd get a "yes" vote from me if you'd bring back/add these features:

1. Full WYSIWYG editor, a la vBulletin

2. Allow users to edit their posts, a la vBulletin

3. Forum searches, a la vBulletin

4. Links to go directly to the last post or page in a thread, a la vBulletin

5. Links to the most recent posts on the forum, a la vBulletin

6. A PM system, a la vBulletin

vBulletin isn't a good example for number 4. Ikonboard st.com will take you to the first unread post in a thread even after months of ignoring a thread. vBulletin is inferior cos it'll at best take you to the first unread post since you last logged on. Plus vBulletin'll mark the threads as read if you get auto-logged out making the feature not work at all, that NEVER happens on Ikonboard st.com. Ikonboard st.com MUST be the standard.

Zaltar

Report this Jul. 24 2010, 4:50 pm

Yes, I like the "new" message board.

"Truly, these times of ignorance GOD overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, because HE has appointed a day on which HE will judge the world in righteousness by the MAN (LORD JESUS CHRIST) whom HE has ordained. HE has given assurance of this to all by raising HIM from the dead." [Acts 17:30-31] http://www.intouch.org/god

Lynx677

Report this Jul. 24 2010, 11:05 pm

I don't want to trash it right now, I expect that they will correct some of the worst glitches as soon as possible.

The most annoying glitch is that is impossible to have a decent discussion when the different topics aren't in order of the latest posts. It's horrible to see old topics from last year popping up on the top of the boards.

However, if i have to choose, I did prefer the old layout.

Who'd let that cat in here?