Worf on DS9

blue5oscar

Report this Jun. 16 2010, 10:37 pm

I'm relatively new to DS9. I watched some original runs as a kid, but fell out of it. I just finished watching the last few seasons on DVD, and really enjoyed Worf on the show, and made him one of my favorite ST characters. The episode about the ballgame between Vulcans and DS9 crew really captured how much I enjoyed the character, especially "Death to the Opposition!"

However, after having re-watched TNG on DVD, as well as DS9, I got the impression that Worf was a better fit on the Enterprise and TNG. I do think the marriage storyline worked, but felt at the end that Worf was still a true TNG character that never (in my eyes) fit in completely with DS9.

MirrorRobotVicFontaine

Report this Jun. 17 2010, 4:48 am

From my most recent re-viewing of DS9, I have to say that even though Worf's DS9 episodes were better than his Next Gen ones, he as a character was really unpleasant on DS9.   I'd say the show would have been better off without him, except that great Klingon episodes were made with Worf as the pivotal character.   Worf himself was callous and not a good guy, but his episodes worked.

Mantaray

Report this Jun. 17 2010, 9:52 am

I thought Worf actually developed more as a character on DS9 than TNG.    I loved TNG, but his role for the most part was basically "Riker's Chubacca".   On DS9 they allowed him the time to develop and he was the jumping point for DS9 to really take off.

Aquarelle99

Report this Jun. 18 2010, 2:19 pm

Quote (Mantaray @ June 17 2010, 9:52 am)
I thought Worf actually developed more as a character on DS9 than TNG. ¿ ¿I loved TNG, but his role for the most part was basically "Riker's Chubacca". ¿ On DS9 they allowed him the time to develop and he was the jumping point for DS9 to really take off.

:laugh:  :laugh:
I agree, though. I loved Worf on both shows, but he got a lot more character development on DS9. And I thought the marriage plotline really worked, especially because Jadzia had a lot of knowledge of and respect for Klingon culture even before she got together with Worf, probably from Curzon's memories.

Mantaray

Report this Jun. 18 2010, 4:01 pm

Quote (Aquarelle99 @ June 18 2010, 2:19 pm)
Quote (Mantaray @ June 17 2010, 9:52 am)
I thought Worf actually developed more as a character on DS9 than TNG. ? ?I loved TNG, but his role for the most part was basically "Riker's Chubacca". ? On DS9 they allowed him the time to develop and he was the jumping point for DS9 to really take off.

:laugh: ¿:laugh:

Quantumflux01

Report this Jun. 19 2010, 6:27 pm

Quote (Mantaray @ June 17 2010, 2:52 pm)

Agree there. With DS9 Worf had room to really grow and develop. Way of the Warrior showed that big time. A great move getting Worf into the fray... Worf was shackled (plot-wise, but he did have his brief moments) on TNG.

OtakuJo

Report this Jul. 17 2010, 2:25 am

Like Sisko, Worf's character developed as his hair got better... lolz. ^_^

Andrew1701D

Report this Aug. 05 2010, 12:47 pm

I thought it was a bit of a streach and amazing at the same time how Worf would be at his duty station on the Station and still be able to be elsewhere for the various Movie's.  He was always convientently available to jump back to his old crew and the Starship Enterprise E?  Just a thought.

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Aug. 05 2010, 2:56 pm

I liked how Worf was brought on to DS9 and the Klingon episodes were great. When the D'har Master Kor was brought back it really tied well into TOS

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

Tureaz'47

Report this Aug. 06 2010, 4:58 am

I loved Worfs bachelor episode; one of the best and funniest.

It's strange, being a catalyst for things that move outside.

wissa

Report this Aug. 06 2010, 9:41 am

I thought he became more of a chacter on DS9 he wasn't nearly as developed on tng. And he's supposed to be unpleasant. He's a klingon.

Like us on Facebook Haters gotta hate

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Aug. 07 2010, 7:38 pm

Because of DS9, Worf is a favourite character of mine. I think that in First Contact and Insurrection Worf should have been absent but for Nemesis he should have returned and you'd probably realise how much you miss him.

CAPT.LEW

Report this Aug. 08 2010, 10:10 am

the addition of Worf was crucial to the series plot line when gowron declared war on the federation. he served as a sort of liason between both cultures. he also was crucial in the re-alignment with the empire after Gowron was assasinated.

star trek is the embodiment of UNITY!

silvik123

Report this Aug. 10 2010, 2:32 pm

Quote: Andrew1701D @ Aug. 05 2010, 12:47 pm

It was always a stretch for me that Worf would somehow end up being in the movies. They tried to come up with lame excuses for why Worf was on the Enterprise E. In Insurrection Worf was about to give an explaination as to why he was there and he was conveniently interrupted.

John Crichton

Report this Aug. 12 2010, 6:44 am

I loved it when they added Worf. He seemed to get a lot more character development on DS9, and he was pretty essential, especially with everything going on with the Klingons going on in season 4 and later on in the series. I loved his friendship with Martok.

And if he hadn't joined, we may never have seen The Defiant in a feature film, but now I get a smile on my face whenever I see it in First Contact.