Best Odo Episodes

Aquarelle99

Report this May. 24 2010, 3:01 pm

Here's an attempt at a list of the episodes featuring Odo...

Season 1

Broken Link

Season 5
Things Past
The Ascent
The Begotten
A Simple Investigation
Children of Time (kind of)

Season 6
Behind the Lines
Favor the Bold
His Way

Season 7
Treachery, Faith and the Great River
Chimera
What You Leave Behind

My favorite by far is "The Ascent" - I love the development of the relationship between Quark and Odo in that episode. It's clear that underneath all the fighting, there is a mutual affection.

I love it when Quark thinks Odo is smacking his lips, and hears the buzzing in the runabout, and Odo teases him: "{smack} {smack}.....bzzzzzzz! Hmmppf." :laugh:

"His Way" is great we well, of course.
Odo: And then I guess you'll expect me to kiss you!
Kira: Maybe!
Odo: Well then who needs dinner, why don't I just kiss you right now?

And finally, "The Begotten." Watching Odo trying to teach the baby changeling was very poignant, and watching him struggle with his past with Dr. Mora and finally come to terms with it.

What are your favorites, and why?

Quantumflux01

Report this May. 24 2010, 3:20 pm

Gosh that's about 1/6 of all the DS9 episodes. Odo was a good character if featured, prominantly, in so many episodes.

Aquarelle99

Report this May. 24 2010, 3:21 pm

Quote (Quantumflux01 @ May 24 2010, 3:20 pm)

I know! I was thinking that too!

TheDriver

Report this May. 24 2010, 7:27 pm

Actually, if each season is approximately 26 episodes? Then that list comprises about 1/7th of the series, which is about right for one of the main cast members.

I'd venture to guess Sisko's stories might comprise more than 1/2 of the series, while the rest of the crew get about 1/7 or more...

EzrianBashirax

Report this May. 24 2010, 7:30 pm

Do you remember when I said I hated you, and you said you hated me?

Aquarelle99

Report this May. 25 2010, 10:16 am

Quote (EzrianBashirax @ May 24 2010, 7:30 pm)
Do you remember when I said I hated you, and you said you hated me?

i meant it!

:laugh:  :laugh:

Quantumflux01

Report this May. 25 2010, 4:55 pm

Quote (TheDriver @ May 25 2010, 12:27 am)

Actually I think Odo had more stories (prominent character development stories) than Sisko did. Looks like we fans aren't the only ones fascinated by Odo...

TheDriver

Report this May. 25 2010, 11:39 pm

Quote (Quantumflux01 @ May 25 2010, 7:55 pm)
Quote (TheDriver @ May 25 2010, 12:27 am)

Um, what show were you watching?

LtPondwater9

Report this May. 26 2010, 1:33 am

Overall, It's tied between "The Ascent", "Treachery, Faith and the Great River" , "Chimera".

HaventGotALife

Report this May. 26 2010, 1:41 am

I think that the early Odo is more interesting to me because without establishing his obsession for Justice (or Order as we later find out) is essential to see the change after the Search. I like the Search, Part II because it involves the decision of his life that is the fold in his character. I like the exploration of what it means to be something and to understand its existence. I went through something similiar in my life when I realized how stupid I was and how much of life I hadn't experienced, even when events were unique and there was the opportunity to growth. His speech to Kira is important because he realizes not only does he not share his people's ideals, but he feels like an outsider long before he decides to leave them. He has a lot of room to grow as a changeling and while that would be interesting, it must be given up in order for him to keep his morals. That is something to mourn in that episode. While all the episodes leading up to that define this character, the Search shows that most of that is a misguided and half-understood attempt to fulfill his instincts and purpose. The Search, Part II is not only a turning point, but it is also truly defines Odo and therefore, I choose it as my favorite.

boco

Report this May. 26 2010, 8:16 am

Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places!!

TheDriver

Report this May. 26 2010, 6:07 pm

"Vortex," "The Ascent," "A Simple Investigation," and "His Way" are my favorites.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 31 2010, 3:43 am

I think "The Alternate"

========================================
And although Sisko was in every episode, I'm not sure that he was the main character for so many more than others.

TheDriver

Report this May. 31 2010, 11:20 am

Quote (OtakuJo @ May 31 2010, 6:43 am)

Hmm. When I have more time, perhaps I can go through the DS9 Companion and make a list. (Right now, I'm in the middle of summer school.)

Honestly, I'd be pretty surprised if Sisko wasn't the main character for nearly half the episodes...

OtakuJo

Report this May. 31 2010, 1:35 pm

SUMMER??! :cry: (no fair)

Yeah I'm in the middle of essays and crap like that too.

Will say though that my feeling is that probably a large portion of DS9 are "ensemble" episodes more than based on a single character. I like Odo heaps in The Foresaken for example, but don't particularly consider it an Odo episode -- even though he features prominently in it. Same with Sisko.

(Although I like Odo better than Sisko, too.)