Jadzia Dax

guide_X

Report this May. 16 2010, 10:08 am

Usually when someone in Star Trek is killed it's because the actor or actress wants to move on or the character isn't working out, what was Jadzia's reason? I know why with Nemoy, Shatner, Crosby, but not for Jadzia...

And this is not my first post so don't welcome me like a new member, simply put, startrek.com doesn't seem to remember me, even though I've posted thousands of posts in the past. My other nickname here is guideX

nthdrone

Report this May. 16 2010, 10:36 am

Yeah, i know you're not a newb, guide. I remember you... How are ya?

And to answer your question, I believe Terry Farrell was offered a role in a new show so she could no longer renew her contract for season 7. I just hate the way they killed her though. I would have preferred the way she died in the episode "Change of Heart" rather than in "Tears of the Prophets." It would have been, IMO, more dramatic if she had died in 'Change of Heart', as this would have led to Worf story-lines on how to deal with her death knowing that he was the reason for her death. And then Other people's reactions as well. That would have been cool.

DS9TREK

Report this May. 16 2010, 11:53 am

Quote (nthdrone @ May 16 2010, 3:36 pm)

That's incorrect. She decided leave almost a year before she was cast in Becker. Her lack of scenes in many episodes, including missing the whole of The Sound of Her Voice, was due to her taking time off to attend auditions.

Quantumflux01

Report this May. 16 2010, 5:23 pm

Actually Terry Farrell was dissatisfied with her contract. Apparently it was issue over money. And the main actor's contracts are complicated and the details kept secret! They each have their own agent(s). But a better agent can wriggle some more money out of Paramount/CBS or whoever is dishing out the moolah. If Terry Farrell found out that one of her fellow actors was getting more money, it's a good reason to be dissatisfied.

nthdrone

Report this May. 16 2010, 8:36 pm

Quote (DS9TREK @ May 16 2010, 8:53 am)
Quote (nthdrone @ May 16 2010, 3:36 pm)

I stand corrected.

subytrek

Report this May. 17 2010, 6:09 pm

Quote (nthdrone @ May 16 2010, 7:36 am)
Yeah, i know you're not a newb, guide. I remember you... How are ya?

I agree that it would have been a more satisfying end for her to die in Change of Heart than the actual way it happened.

Kdbtrekkin

Report this May. 17 2010, 7:35 pm

Quote (DS9TREK @ May 16 2010, 11:53 am)
Quote (nthdrone @ May 16 2010, 3:36 pm)

That's how I heard it to, she just wasn't used enough, and she felt left out, which is reasonable she wasn't used much and when she was a lot of the times it was technobabble, her character never really grew, and that's why. She felt dissatisfied with the direction of her character.

LtPondwater9

Report this May. 19 2010, 5:23 pm

Quote (nthdrone @ May 16 2010, 10:36 am)

I agree. That would of been far more dramatic.

guide_X

Report this May. 22 2010, 4:08 pm

To me, it might have meant more to the Dominion War if she died in battle or something.

HaventGotALife

Report this May. 26 2010, 1:56 am

Quote (guide_X @ May 15 2010, 11:08 am)

I won't greet you. But Terry Farrell decided to leave and not come back for the seventh season. She told them that at the beginning of the sixth and they thought Farrell just wanted more money so they didn't believe her. She said she'd rather not die, but they killed her anyway.

I think her death is rather meaningless. The baby between her and Worf is not essential to either character. She is 7-lifetimes-old. Marriage and babies are not there. Worf had a child. We never had a chance to mourn Jadzia before Ezri made us remember that Dax would be back in a flash. It was so random that it didn't make me want to hate Dukat.

I have always contended that she should've died earlier in the season during Change of Heart. Worf has been a mournful, brooding, hand-wringing pile of indecision when it comes to his loyalties. If he lost Jadzia, his wife, because of that indecision, and also lost the mission because of his indecisiveness, it might change his character and make him commit to one kind of life. Either that, or it kills him. Either way, Jadzia's death would've brought a new wrinkle to Worf that would've changed him forever. Either made him a great Captain or want to leave Starfleet for good. But C'est la vie.