Dr. Crusher

drellan

Report this May. 13 2010, 3:54 pm

For the first time the other night, I watched the TNG episode that introduced Dr. Pulaski aboard the Enterprise.

In the episode, it seemed as if they referenced Dr. Crusher as having permanently left the ship.  Further, when I rewinded my DVR back to the opening credits, I noticed that Gates McFadden/Beverly Crusher had been removed from the open sequence/credits.

My question: Did Gates McFadden almost permanently leave TNG, and later decide to come back? I never did understand what happened that caused her to take a break from TNG (although I speculated that it was something like a pregnancy).

Pooneil

Report this May. 13 2010, 4:07 pm

Officially, the writers, producers, and Gates McFadden all disagreed about how to develop the character. McFadden was disappointed with her role on the show, and the writers didn't really know what to do with her. I don't know whose decision it was for her to leave.

They sent Crusher off to Starfleet Medical so that they'd have a chance to bring her back later. Eventually a letter-writing campaign (and pressure from Patrick Stewart) got her back on the show.

drellan

Report this May. 13 2010, 4:13 pm

Quote (Pooneil @ May 13 2010, 4:07 pm)

Thanks. Was it difficult to get McFadden back onto the show? I imagine that there were some hurt feelings somewhere in the mix. This is a storyline within Trek I didn't know about before.

Regardless, I think she certainly turned out to be good for the show as it continued on!

KlingonGeneral

Report this May. 13 2010, 4:33 pm

Well there was a rumor of the following:
Well according to Gates herself who I was lucky enough to see at a convention a while ago she left because of differences of opinions between her and the producers.

Gates wanted to much say in the Crusher charactor and changed things here and there the producers said no and she left.

end of of story .....NOOOOO...enter Pulaski ..
a nice person and fine actress in her own right but the fans did NOT like her nor did they like the interchange between Pulaski and Picard.
So much so they rallied around and petitioned Paramount studios to have Gates come back as Crusher.

Rick Berman asked Patrick Stewart to call Gates and ask her to come back with a hefty pay increase and a 'little' more leeway into the Crusher persona.
LOL!!! she even gave us a word for word accent and all rendition of how Patrick wooed her back...

So there ya go

From: http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum....on.html

So not sure which one you would like to believe...I would lean more towards the last quote I put here but the first one sure does seem more juicy!  ;)

KlingonGeneral

Report this May. 13 2010, 5:03 pm

Here is another quote:
Officially, the producers felt that the character of Crusher had not developed as well as they had hoped. Unofficially, there were some disagreements between the show's producers and McFadden as to how the character should develop, which may have led to some bad blood between her and several executive producers, resulting in McFadden's being released from her contract before the second season.

From: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gates_McFadden

Here is one that said there was issues with her and Gene:
McFadden was cast as Dr. Beverly Crusher in Star Trek: The Next Generation in 1987, but left after the first season, in large part because of differences with Gene Roddenberry, the creator of the Star Trek series. Rumor has it that Roddenberry had not wanted her in the first place, but that he wanted to cast Diana Muldaur in the role as he had worked with her in the original Star Trek show. Unfortunately, her character, Dr. Katherine Pulaski, did not resonate with fans, and she left the show after the second season. McFadden was convinced to return for the third season by Patrick Stewart who played the role of Captain Picard, much to the delight of legions of Beverly Crusher fans.

From: http://www.helium.com/items/1422698-gates-mcfadden

ThankYouGeneR

Report this May. 15 2010, 12:41 am

Quote (marshall8472 @ May 14 2010, 1:15 pm)
on a sidenote, you can hear Pulaski being paged as admiral janeway is leaving tuvok's room in the mental hospital in episode "endgame" ?:)

No WAY! How cool is THAT! Dr. Pulaski is another one of my absolute favorites in the StarTrek universe. Though many fans seemed less than enthusiastic about the character, in what appeals to me the actress brought in a flawless performance and the character was intriging. I was truly sorry to have had so little of her but am certainly delighted to have at least had the one season she was with us. She is very memorable to me.

wyrx

Report this May. 19 2010, 1:40 pm

oh i totally thought she was off due to being pregnant. In fact I could swear I heard that on behind the scenes on the dvds....

GulBahana

Report this Jul. 31 2010, 6:47 pm

Rick Berman, in his interview at emmytvlegends.com, said that producer Maurice Hurley did not like Gates personally, or her acting, and had her fired.

Users browsing this forum: heronymous