Jadzia Dax vs Ezri Dax

Quantumflux01

Report this May. 03 2010, 1:44 pm

I've seen alot of comments, in general, on this message board about how Ezri Dax seemed like such a waste of space in season 7. I personally think it's unfair to give that character such criticism. Yeah sure she'll never be Jadzia Dax, but that's the point; Ezri's different and in some ways better than Dax.

Reasons why I think Jadzia is better than Ezri:
1. She has confidence and bravado.
2. Alot more was done with the Jazdia character.
3. She knows how to party.

Reasons why I think Ezri is better than Jadzia:
1. She's skeptical and not so sure of herself.
2. She made the first 3 or 4 episodes in Season 7 alot more interesting.

Jadzia Dax was a good character but could the writers have made that character interesting in Season 7? Personally I think not, in what new directions could the writers have pushed? Maybe some sort of Dominion invasion on Trill? Who knows? Ezri Dax whatever her (that's plot flaws) flaws she did give new life to the Dax character. Mind you I like characters who are skeptical and doubtful, for me they are alot more interesting than say characters who are content.

Mantaray

Report this May. 03 2010, 3:52 pm

I think its unfair comparison as Jadzia was basically a support character that used all her personalities to draw out the other characters on the show, until the arrival of Worf.

Ezri was alloted a lot more character development time in season 7 to justify her in the final season.

Overall, I found Jadzia a far more interesting character.   Ezri just seemed like such a rush job.

ares93

Report this May. 04 2010, 10:14 am

actually i cant decide. jadzia was a great character but ezri was (is) so d¿mn cute. i don't know how it is possible to not like her. but comparing the two isnt really fair since ezri only had 1 season to evolve as a character.

btw: i seriously hope that the rumors about a new ST series is true. and i think Ezri and the USS Aventine would be perfect.

galaxyquest009

Report this May. 04 2010, 10:44 am

Quote (Mantaray @ May 03 2010, 3:52 pm)

Overall, I found Jadzia a far more interesting character. ¿ Ezri just seemed like such a rush job.

I pretty much ag ree with what you say. I don't have a desire to compare them anyway. I didn't like Terry Ferrell leaving but that's show biz. I don't consider Ezri a subs titute, just the addition of a Trill in the mix who carryies the back story of being Dax too. Exri was fine for me as her own character.

I was amazed too about the sheer avount of story time she was given in season seven. Ezri character was cute fun interesting I like her fine. It has always puzzled me though about so much story time focused on her.

These thoughts crossed my mind: They paired her quickly with Basheer like they did Chakotay with Seven so was it a wrap up pairing for the ending of the serires. Shoot, the Dr. was a big part of the show and deserved a happy ending. Another thought was were the writers happy to have someone new to write for. Another thought was were the core actors getting tired and ready for the series to end. A last thought was the actor was new and probably with a much lower pay so it assisted the budget to bring more work to the lesser paid actors.

Anyway, I don't compare Daxs but I am more interested in Jadzia. Ezri was fine in her own right and sure got a lot of screen time in season seven.

Nuadha

Report this May. 06 2010, 7:47 am

I love them both, for different reasons.   I would be hard-pressed to choose.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 06 2010, 11:07 am

Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike Jadzia. But I would place her on about the same level of "interest" as early season Jake Sisko. Of the characters listed in the opening titles, those are my two least favourite. She got a teeny bit "better" after getting together with Worf (And I guess their relationship made Worf a bit more interesting too although he was interesting before.) But overall I found Jadzia Dax to be pretty drab. Like half the time they could have replaced her with a cardboard cut-out of Terry Farrell and it wouldn't have made a lot of difference.

When I found out that one of the major characters died, I was actually relieved to discover that it was Jadzia. Because her not being there really didn't make much difference to me -- she might as well have not been there from the very start as far as I was concerned. Ezri (her backstory, personality, the way she developed as a character in that seventh season) was just a lot more interesting to me.

I like Ezri a whole heap better than Jadzia, for multiple reasons.

Quantumflux01

Report this May. 06 2010, 4:41 pm

Thanks OtakuJo and Nachtkommen, finally found some DS9'ers who think Ezri is better than Jadzia.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 07 2010, 4:27 am

Quote (Nachtkommen @ May 07 2010, 2:05 am)
Quote (Quantumflux01 @ May 06 2010, 4:41 pm)

Hey now...

I think you misread my post.

I don't like either. :p

You just wish that they were all Jeffrey Combs!  :p

Quantumflux01

Report this May. 08 2010, 6:42 pm

Thank God Jeffrey Combs wasn't the new Dax host.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 09 2010, 5:08 am

Quote (Quantumflux01 @ May 08 2010, 6:42 pm)
Thank God Jeffrey Combs wasn't the new Dax host.

in-joke, mate. You'll get it eventually. ;)

Quantumflux01

Report this May. 12 2010, 4:35 pm

Quote (Quantumflux01 @ May 08 2010, 11:42 pm)
Thank God Jeffrey Combs wasn't the new Dax host.

Still stand by my words. Jeffrey Combs will be remembered for playing two amazing characters, and not for some botched attempt at making the Dax character more interesting.

Mantaray

Report this May. 12 2010, 4:46 pm

Quote (Quantumflux01 @ May 12 2010, 4:35 pm)
Quote (Quantumflux01 @ May 08 2010, 11:42 pm)
Thank God Jeffrey Combs wasn't the new Dax host.

Still stand by my words. Jeffrey Combs will be remembered for playing two amazing characters, and not for some botched attempt at making the Dax character "more interesting".

Pooneil

Report this May. 12 2010, 4:48 pm

By the time Jadzia was killed I didn't really mind. I liked her in the early seasons, when the writers were actually interested in writing for her, but then she just sort of stopped. I think this happened around the time she became Worf's girlfriend/fiancee. She was no longer an individual character -- she was just Worf's sidekick.

Add to that Terry Ferrell's dubious acting skills, and the rather muddy and flat nature of the character to begin with. The idea of the joined Trill is an interesting one, but we never really knew anything about who Jadzia was before she was joined. There was something missing to her personality: she was a blend of all these prior hosts, but where was Jadzia?

Ezri was introduced too late and had some annoying quirks. Everything, according to her, was "so sweet!" Even so I thought she was a more complex and dynamic character than Jadzia ever was. The idea of a joined Trill who didn't expect to be joined and is thrown into confusion and existential angst because of it is just much more interesting.

TheDriver

Report this May. 12 2010, 5:25 pm

Great post, Pooneil.

I agree with pretty much everything you typed.

In addition, I always hated the fact she was the station science officer that never did anything even remotely "science-y." She just pushed random buttons in Ops, piloted the Defiant, hung out with Klingons, hung out with Ferengi, and apparently slept with various freighter captains. Oh, and she was a "wild party girl." (groan)

The only reason I actually found myself liking the Jadzia character was due to her relationships with other characters - Sisko and Worf.

And I guess I always liked the idea of a joined Trill.

Ezri was a breath of fresh air.

TaoTrek

Report this May. 12 2010, 7:34 pm

Agreed.

I personally choose Ezri over Jadzia. Why? Jadzia always had a certain smugness that annoyed me to no end. Ezri seemed much more down-to-earth and possessed an aura of uncertainty that was more easy to relate to. Also, I think Ezri was cuter than Jadzia so there! :p :laugh: