ST 11 must return Timeline and Ethics

frsteven

Report this Apr. 29 2010, 12:13 am

If I, a lifetime fan and supporter of Star Trek, am to continue to view the movies, etc., here are my requirements:

(1) The timeline of ST must be restored in the 2nd Abrams and Crew movie. Undo the timeline changes of their first movie.

(2) The Humanist ethics must be restored. Dump the product placements, etc.

The new cast is awesome. The new effects and action are awesome. But there must be the underlying purpose and ethics of ST. Otherwise we just have an empty shell.

If this is not done, I will not pay anything to see the 2nd movie, and will boycott, and will strongly encourage others to boycott, this travesty on a great franchise.

You are not just making movies. You have been entrusted with a cultural legacy. Make it fun, make it exciting, make it profitable, but make it right.

This is not Lost and Fringe, which you have created from whole cloth. This is OUR Star Trek, and you must serve it well if you want it to succeed.

Thanks,

Rev. Steven Armstrong
San Francisco

cptdon

Report this Apr. 29 2010, 1:21 am

Aside from the product placements, although they should drop the "classic" from the Bud, I tend to agree with you more than not. Though I think you will discover that A LOT of people will disagree with you and chastise you for sharing your opinion on this issue here.

1701AtoE

Report this Apr. 29 2010, 1:46 am

This past movie had to focus on "galvanizing that family" as JJ Abrams said, and next will go back to do something worthwhile. I'm counting on that and I think most Trek fans will also be looking forward to that.

With that said, I do want to point out that 90% of existing fans really liked this film per statistics, and that includes long time fans if you read comments from Rotten Tomatoes, Yahoo, IMDB, etc. But even before the fans and casual movie goers speaking out with overwhelming approval, they already know that some fans will not be happy. (on the side note, just about any Trek movie will have 10% or more unhappy fans.)

So unless you represent the majority of fans, there is no reason they should listen to you when they can keep 90% of existing fans, while bringing in many new generation of fans and increase the total fan base by multiple factors.

Also there is nothing to restore. New timeline is working with the modern theory of multi-verse.

cptdon

Report this Apr. 29 2010, 2:36 am

Quote (1701AtoE @ April 29 2010, 1:46 am)
This past movie had to focus on "galvanizing that family" as JJ Abrams said, and next will go back to do something worthwhile. ?So I'm counting on that.

With that said, I do want to point out that 90% of existing fans really liked this film per statistics, and that includes long time fans if you read comments from Rotten Tomatoes, Yahoo, IMDB, etc. ?But even before the fans and casual movie goers speaking out with overwhelming approve, they already know that some fans will not be happy. (on the side note, just about any Trek movie will have 10% or more unhappy fans.)

So unless you represent the majority of fans, there is no reason they should listen to you while they can keep 90% of existing fans, while bringing in many new generation of fans and increase the total fan base by multiple factors.

You know, I think you are right but there is another thing to consider. Having been in the theatre business for many years I have seen movies that made 200 million, or the times equivalent, and tank when the next one came out. Now before anyone gets to excited, I am not saying this will happen to Star Trek XII! I am saying that it could, to Star Trek or any other film. I personally want them to get it close enough to "right" for me in the next film without being in a place where they screw it up for the people that like it the way it is now. I am going in with an open mind, but I am a little nervous.

cptdon

Report this Apr. 29 2010, 11:55 am

Quote (starbase63 @ April 29 2010, 11:51 am)
Welcome aboard Padre...this is the reply I made on the Website Board:

In actuality, there is nothing to "restore"...the movie takes place in a new timeline (one created for the use of Paramount Pictures) that has no effect or bearing on the original, or prime, timeline, which is the purvey of CBS, the owners of Star Trek as a franchise.

Abrams' Trek is not "our" Trek as you put it. Looks like it (sort of), sounds like it, but it's a new animal for the modern movie age.

Just a word of wisdom, repeating the same topic over and over here can be considered spam...don't want to see you get in trouble!

:logical:

I think that is his point. Sadly it seems to me this is all he is posting. Troll is trolling...

Somniac

Report this Apr. 30 2010, 5:55 am

ST11??

TuckerFanatic

Report this May. 04 2010, 1:19 pm

A bold request for someone so new.

nomanhasgonebefore

Report this May. 04 2010, 8:33 pm

I agree with the need to do something important, but I'm afraid the timeline is not really reversible.... as a film-maker, Abrams stands to lose WAY too much credibility by flip-flopping after having established a new order.  Time to face the truth...Vulcan is gone. Deal fanboys, deal.

Pooneil

Report this May. 05 2010, 8:10 pm

I couldn't care less about the sanctity of the timeline. I always thought the writers played fast and loose with 40+ years of continuity and canon anyway, so it's of no concern to me. However, I agree on your second point. Star Trek, in whatever version, has always had a strong conscience: call it ethics, humanism, morality, etc. The best stories have always had more to them than plain old action and adventure. That was something I missed in the latest movie, and I hope they bring it back somehow.

1701AtoE

Report this May. 06 2010, 1:45 am

Quote (Pooneil @ May 05 2010, 8:10 pm)

This latest film is more about having general audience connect with Star Trek, and the focus is on character growth and development. This is something never really done before for Trek movie and is badly needed. Yes, now the legendary characters are re-introduced in ways to bring in new fans, JJ Abrams already said it's time to relate to modern allegory. Plenty of articles on Abrams desire.

I do disagree about lacking humanism and morality in this latest movie. Plenty exposure of "human" through Vulcan. Actually a lot of human side manifested through Spock and Kirk, such as a mix of two worlds which many of us can relate who have to take the wrath and abuse from being from two nationalities and choose paths. There are also a positive example of a young adult raised by single parent, can make a positive contribution in society instead of self pity. Also Kirk not abandoning Sulu on platform and loyalty to Pike is yet more examples. Plenty of great positive stuff for young generation. Just these are a lot more subtle to pick out then previous Trek films or TV episodes.

Different messages being conveyed, but equally good and we should be open to them. Of course, digging deeper into the "no win scenario" from Wrath of Khan is awesome - from George Kirk to young Kirk - perfect examples of dilemma faced by every leader, from captain of a ship to leader of a company, organization, or nation.

starwarsrcks

Report this May. 06 2010, 9:58 am

well said I agree:)

Admiral_BlackCat

Report this May. 07 2010, 10:29 am

Quote (frsteven @ April 28 2010, 9:13 pm)

(2) The Humanist ethics must be restored. Dump the product placements, etc.

Thanks,

Rev. Steven Armstrong
San Francisco

I like how they portrayed the Star Trek universe in STXI and am at ease knowing the OUR Star Trek is in good hands for the near future.

Morosk

Report this May. 07 2010, 7:29 pm

speaking for myself i kind loved a lot the last movie.. I think it was a great honor to the original series to have such a good movie to make us remember the series. I still get emotional when i heard thouse familiar beeps sounds in the opening scene.
Very well done and i completely disagree with the first poster.

starwarsrcks

Report this May. 11 2010, 10:10 am

I completely disagree with the first poster as well i liked the way they went back to the TOS era brilliant movie thank you JJ Abrams and the wonderful cast and crew who have made this brilliant masterpiece of a movie to me anyway.:)

KlingonGeneral

Report this May. 11 2010, 10:38 am

Quote (1701AtoE @ May 05 2010, 10:45 pm)
Quote (Pooneil @ May 05 2010, 8:10 pm)

Well said...

I have NEVER liked the idea of Vulcan being destroyed and a few finer points of the movie...BUT as any true ST fan would know...the timeline CRAP is canon even if it doesn't line up to our expectations.

Yes I said timeline CRAP...never liked it with exception to "The City on the Edge of Forever." And aside from the cool looking uniforms, I didn't care for the "alternate universe" episodes either.

But despite my personal "likes" these two areas of ST are VERY canon and I must "suck it up" and just deal with it. I love Star Trek and like any family there are those in it that you can not stand but you are still family none the less.