Zefram Cochrane

Babber

Report this Apr. 24 2010, 1:19 am

Hello,

I am an old Star Trek fan of the TOS, but more recently of the TNG and other series.

My question, and I'm sure it's been discussed here before so my aplogies, is why is Cochrane a younger version of himself in TOS episode than he is in the 'First Contact' movie even though the latter takes place after the former?

Babber

Holberg

Report this Apr. 24 2010, 1:25 am

The Companion healed his body to the point where his body was the the best of health   :logical:  :eyesroll:
Or at least I think so :eyesroll:

Babber

Report this Apr. 24 2010, 1:32 am

So did he somehow go in the future to Kirk's time and then the Companion restored him to his younger, stronger self?

I vaguley remember something along these lines years ago...which is one of the reasons I love Star Trek because whenever I come back, it seems to expand...or I'm refreshed of something I've forgotten.

Thanks for your patience with this 'returning' newbie to the Star Trek Universe.

31st_Century_Temporal_Age
nt

Report this Apr. 24 2010, 2:16 am

Quote (Babber @ April 24 2010, 1:32 am)

No he didn't time travel. It was said on Enterprise Cochrane had disappeared sometime in the 22nd century. TOS backs this up saying he disappeared in 2119. So he could have easily met the companion right around 2119 or later. The companion rejuvenated him and kept him alive until 2267 where Kirk and crew met him. He most likely lived quite a few more years with the companion after that.

Batteryman

Report this Apr. 24 2010, 7:11 am

You should read the book "Federation"  you get to learn about Cocharane and his time.  (I know books are not canon, but it is fun.)

Dan NJ

tribblenator999

Report this Apr. 24 2010, 10:43 am

zefram cochrane in First contact was actually in his thirties but it's just the actor looked older than the character he was playing. So many years pass zefram cochrane and his team develop the warp 5 complex. He is an old man at the age of 87 in the year of 2117.  He flies his own warp ship off to the unknown but is lost and never heard from again.  He ended up on the companion planet. the companion rejuvenated him back to his 20s. Kept him basically immortal until 2267 when James Kirk/mccoy/spock transporting a federation ambassador from a meeting to the enterprise was intercepted by the companion. Kirk convinces cochrane to leave with them. the companion takes control of the ambassadors body (who is a woman) cochrane falls in love with the woman (whom the companion actually loved cochrane) cochrane told kirk/spock/mccoy that he's staying and not to let anyone know he's alive. Cochrane and his love lived the rest of their lives on the planet.  Assuming they died in the early 24th century.

Babber

Report this Apr. 24 2010, 11:23 am

Thanks everyone; that's great.  It now makes sense.

31st_Century_Temporal_Age
nt

Report this Apr. 27 2010, 11:42 pm

Quote (Holberg @ April 24 2010, 1:25 am)
The Companion healed his body to the point where his body was the the best of health ¿ :logical: ¿:eyesroll:
Or at least I think so :eyesroll:

:eyesroll:

vadic

Report this Apr. 29 2010, 3:54 pm

Yeah, but if you view the TOS episode, Kirk and Spock recognized him on sight. How can that be?:eyesroll:

God_in_an_Alcove

Report this Apr. 29 2010, 9:23 pm

Judging by the above picture, not only did the Companion return him to health, but she also fattened him up a little. They were used to seeing images of a worn and gaunt man who was, even long after his disappearance, known for his alcoholism, and they meet a fresh-looking plump guy. Of course they're going to be a bit skeptical about his identity.

challengerdyer

Report this May. 04 2010, 10:07 am

Okay, one question. In "Broken Bow" they run a recording of the groundbeaking for the Warp 5 Complex.  How long before "Broken Bow" did they say that was?

I would assume that the Alpha Centuari reference can be explained away that he moved there after First Contact?  Maybe to do the Warp 5 research?

God_in_an_Alcove

Report this May. 04 2010, 2:13 pm

The episode "Broken Bow" took place in 2151. The video of Zefram Cochrane was from 32 years prior, which means that it would have been recorded in 2119. IIRC, that would be the very same year he disappeared.

As far as I know, the Alpha Centauri reference was never explained away, though it's not unreasonable to assume that he simply moved there at some point. After all, James Kirk, while being from Iowa, spent time living on Tarsus IV, which was never explained either.