Doctor Who on BBC America

grigori

Report this Apr. 17 2010, 10:18 pm

I'm relieved: I can live with Matt Smith a lot better now that I've heard his voice. Substantial bit of gravitas and cleverness. Above all, not as young as his appearance...

Clever business with the zeroes... I also like the trick of the "false endings" and last-minute fresh dangers.

I also like the notion we may get to see more of the inside of the TARDIS, again...Does anyone remember the Cloister? :D

I thought his "I am the DOCTOR" moment of super-impressive posturing came a bit soon, but it worked.

I hear Daleks are on the way...

lostshaker

Report this Apr. 18 2010, 12:52 am

"Eleventh Hour" was brilliant. Tennant's great, but it's a little bit easier to say goodbye now and hello to Matt. "Beans are evil..." - the 11th Doctor is a man after my own taste.

I'll disagree with it coming too soon, because he seemed to channel the Doctor from the moment he crashed. I loved his rant about Amelia Pond being a name out of a fairy tale and that she must have some crack in her wall for her to be scared. Lines like that kept interjecting suspense.

It was fantastic seeing all the Doctor's incarnations. It felt weird, but natural, seeing Tennant's image. Eccelston and Tennant both brought me into this world, but the show must go on. And it's going on with great writing.

I think "The Beast Below" is actually better than "Victory of the Daleks".

Goodchild

Report this Apr. 18 2010, 5:25 am

I like the new Dr. Who. I've seen him in some interesting programs beforehand. He is the right choice.

sonofspock1

Report this Apr. 18 2010, 10:56 am

Hey! Not of all us are British! :laugh:

"PRISONER ZERO WILL VACATE THE HUMAN RESIDENCE OR THE HUMAN RESIDENCE WILL BE INCINERATED!"

I loved that! :D

On to more imprtant things, Yankee Whovians! Opinions of the new title sequence and theme please?

grigori

Report this Apr. 18 2010, 12:38 pm

I still wanna hear the full-theme treatment in the titles (the rest of the tune which they saved only for slow, somber moments in recent years).

I said east of Michigan, not British, in order to include SoS! :D :p

The titles didn't change THAT much, did they? Added some lightning.

...Anyhow, all the previews & printwork ads for the new Doctor made him and Amy look so young: Muppet Babies Doctor Who. Thank goodness I don't feel that way so much now.

sonofspock1

Report this Apr. 18 2010, 2:41 pm

It is an excellent time to start: new Doctor, new Companion, new backroom team. The Moff has treated it like this is the first time Doctor Who has been on the air. As Amy learns the basics of the Doctor, so will new audience members. How many shows can do that?

I'm assuming you all saw the two minute trailer for the rest of the series at the end, so the next episode is called The Beast Below.

sonofspock1

Report this Apr. 18 2010, 3:00 pm

Quote (grigori @ April 18 2010, 5:38 pm)

I said east of Michigan, not British, in order to include SoS! :D :p

The titles didn't change THAT much, did they? Added some lightening.

The new one lacks the diddle-de-dum, diddle-de-dum base before the ooooo-eee-oooh part!

Right, I'm doing this in a rush (Victory of the Daleks repeat is on in a few minutes! ), so forgive me if the quality is a bit rubbish!

Doctor Who 2008 Series 4 - Full New Theme (David Tennant)

Doctor Who Theme Tune Series 5 2010 (Matt Smith)

sonofspock1

Report this Apr. 18 2010, 8:39 pm

STAY OUT OF OUR THREAD!!!!

Seriously, we're really going on about the Daleks, so to avoid massive spoilers...

STAY OUT OF OUR THREAD!!!!

That is all.

:D

grigori

Report this Apr. 18 2010, 9:32 pm

tx SoS. I try to. :)

lostshaker

Report this Apr. 19 2010, 9:55 am

Visually, the title sequence is spectacular. I love the lightning and the new Doctor Who logo. I'm not sold on the audio, however. I much prefer its previous incarnation.

For those that haven't seen the new episodes of DW yet, here's a link: http://www.casttv.com/shows/doctor-who.

sonofspock1

Report this Apr. 19 2010, 7:53 pm

In honour of this weeks episode, I now have my Doctor and Weeping Angel action figures standing next to the TV. :D

Oh sorry, wrong thread! :p

:laugh:

grigori

Report this Apr. 19 2010, 8:15 pm

Quote (sonofspock1 @ April 19 2010, 7:53 pm)

:angry:

thanx for the link, lostshaker. I'm just not real comfy where I sit watching video on-line...I might give it a go next weekend, though. VERY thoughtful of you to supply it! :)

sonofspock1

Report this Apr. 19 2010, 8:21 pm

Quote (grigori @ April 20 2010, 1:15 am)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ April 19 2010, 7:53 pm)

:angry:

I best not mention the Raggedy Doctor and Regneration figures then...

grigori

Report this Apr. 19 2010, 8:47 pm

How big are the Weeping Angel action figures, how many--better yet, post a pic!

sonofspock1

Report this Apr. 19 2010, 8:48 pm

American fans! You must get a channel over there to show The Sarah Jane Adventures! Because everyone and a while, something like this happens:

The Doctor and Jo Grant join CBBC's The Sarah Jane Adventures in special episodes written by Russell T Davies

Thanks to DS9TREK for posting this in the other thread! :D