2012's SFX Better Than Star Trek's SFX

TrekFan1701E

Report this Mar. 21 2010, 11:11 am

I rented 2012 on BluRay and I actually thought their SFX were alot better than Star Trek's. Don't get me wrong I thought Star Trek's were great but 2012's were amazing even though it's another Emmeric distaster movie. I even think they were better than Avatar's from what I saw in the Avatar trailer.

cptdon

Report this Mar. 21 2010, 5:04 pm

That movie gets the shaft for all the wrong reasons, I thought it was a great disaster flick, just like I thought King Kong was a great monster movie. For what each movie was doing in its own setting I thought they were about equal. That said, I did not notice lens flares in 2012 so I will give it the edge. :D

SpaceTherapist

Report this Mar. 21 2010, 5:44 pm

2012 is a great disaster flick and I think it has many more FX that Trek did but other than that I think they were comparable. But in my opinion Avatar's FX are the best. But truthfully they all have great FX.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Mar. 21 2010, 5:51 pm

Quote (SpaceTherapist @ Mar. 21 2010, 5:44 pm)

It makes me think if Avatar came out next year instead of this year would 2012 have beaten Star Trek for the SFX Oscar? Of course I would have wanted Star Trek to win best SFX.

SpaceTherapist

Report this Mar. 21 2010, 8:31 pm

Quote (TrekFan1701E @ Mar. 20 2010, 6:51 pm)
Quote (SpaceTherapist @ Mar. 21 2010, 5:44 pm)

If Avatar had not been in the run I think it would have been a close race and since 2012 really had more FX I think that may have been a reason to give them the edge.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Mar. 21 2010, 9:08 pm

Quote (SpaceTherapist @ Mar. 21 2010, 8:31 pm)
Quote (TrekFan1701E @ Mar. 20 2010, 6:51 pm)
Quote (SpaceTherapist @ Mar. 21 2010, 5:44 pm)

I forgot was 2012 up for SFX?

TaoTrek

Report this Mar. 25 2010, 12:48 am

Roland Emmerich is one of my favorite Directors. :cool:

I saw 2012 and I loved it.

SpaceTherapist

Report this Mar. 25 2010, 1:27 am

Quote (TaoTrek @ Mar. 24 2010, 1:48 am)
Roland Emmerich is one of my favorite Directors. :cool:

I saw 2012 and I loved it.

I just watched it again on DVD and it is one of his better movies.

Captain_Storma

Report this Apr. 14 2010, 5:02 pm

Best (used) VFX I have seen last year in a Sci-Fi movie was DISTRICT 9. Not only does it outshine the effectloaded AVATAR and STAR TREK. But it has a fantastic plot, and you actually care about the main CGI character, the Alien called Christopher.
Best Sci-Fi film of 2009.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Apr. 16 2010, 10:50 am

Quote (Captain_Storma @ April 14 2010, 5:02 pm)
Best Sci-Fi film of 2009.

Terrible movie. I rented it and stopped watching it after the first five minutes.

Users browsing this forum: DS9_FOREVER!