Alice In Wonderland 3D

SpaceTherapist

Report this Mar. 06 2010, 12:13 pm

I never cared for the Disney cartoon version of Alice in Wonderland in the first place and looking at the trailers for Tim Burton's version I wasn't interested in this one either.

I like a lot of Burton's earlier work, his Batman movies, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands & The Nightmare Before Christmas but there really isn't much I have liked in his later work.

warstarcerberus

Report this Mar. 06 2010, 12:23 pm

worse than the miley cyruss movie or wolf man!!??. i think not.

SpaceTherapist

Report this Mar. 06 2010, 12:52 pm

Quote (warstarcerberus @ Mar. 05 2010, 1:23 pm)
worse than the miley cyruss movie or wolf man!!??. i think not.

Was Wolfman really that bad? It looks good but I am waiting for the DVD.

SpaceTherapist

Report this Mar. 06 2010, 7:09 pm

Quote (4_o_20 @ Mar. 05 2010, 7:20 pm)
Nightmare Before Christmas was Henry Selick. Popular mistake though. He recently did Coraline 3D, another brilliant movie.

You're right Burton didn't direct Nightmare before Christmas but he did produced/co-write the movie, plus the design concepts look like his work.

sonofspock1

Report this Mar. 06 2010, 8:06 pm

In England, they're showing the new Doctor Who trailer in 3D with Alice. Daleks and Weeping Angels in 3D.

I wish they showed that here. :(

CourtneyDax

Report this Mar. 06 2010, 8:25 pm

I saw Alice last night. I thought it was so incredibly epic! They really did a fantastic job with the stylings of the Wonderland world. :)

RomulusRemus

Report this Mar. 07 2010, 4:16 am

Quote (VAD_BAXTER @ Mar. 06 2010, 9:34 am)
I guess goes to show that no matter what we think of TREKXI, it just shows that TREKXI is one of the best sci-fi films made as of late.

No it isn't.
Alice in Wonderland was better then Abrams-Trek.

rocketscientist

Report this Mar. 07 2010, 1:37 pm

I saw Alice in Wonderland yesterday with my wife.  I'm a big Tim Burton fan, and the only film of his I really hated was Planet of the Apes.   All the rest, I've enjoyed, even the campy Mars Attacks (definitely not that good, but it has its moments).

Anyway, I really liked his "Alice."  I thought it was visually fascinating and the characters were great.  Yes, like most other Burton films, it's slim on plot, but that's the way they all are.  It's more about the visuals and the outlandish characters.

My wife liked this one too.  She was very turned off on Burton after Sweeny Todd, as can be imagined, but she enjoyed Alice quite a bit.  She really liked the actress playing Alice and the Cheshire Cat, voiced by Stephen Fry.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Mar. 07 2010, 4:42 pm

I usually like Tim Burton, and I love the Disney cartoon version of Alice in Wonderland...but I have to say I hated Burton's Alice.

I think when he was a child he must have been reading Alice, Narnia and LOTR all at the same time, and now isn't sure which book was which, because to me, his film bore far more resemblance to LOTR than it did to Alice (unless it was based more on Through the Looking Glass, which I'm yet to read).

The plot was basically non-existant, it felt just like a series of scenes all strung together...the CGI was overdone and in a lot of places added nothing to the film (why did the Red Queen need such a big head? Why did the Knave of Hearts need to be so tall?)...the performances were nothing special, Alice was dull, Johnny Depp did his usual wacky routine (and was there any need for the Scottish accent? ), Bonham-Carters Red Queen was entertaining, but deep down just an imitation of Queenie from Blackadder, and even the usually excellent Crispin Glover seemed bland.

Wonderland...sorry, UNDERland, looked dull and lifeless...and I know that's kind of the point of this story, but there was no magic there. The music was okay but in no way Elfman's finest hour...the costumes were great though, although I really don't know why Alice had to lose her clothes every five minutes.

I did like the Jaberwocky, and that one scene had far more life in it than the entire rest of the film...but you know, if you're going to go to the trouble of getting the epic Christopher Lee to voice a character in your film, at least give him more than one line to say!

Big, big disappointment as far as I'm concerned.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Mar. 07 2010, 5:07 pm

And something I forgot to mention...what the heck was Anne Hathaway doing? Did it really annoy anyone else the way she was waving her hands around all the time?

I get that it's meant to be an 'innocent act' when she's not all that good underneath...but the physical way she chose to portray this was just...well, awful really.

I did not enjoy her performance at all.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Mar. 08 2010, 6:06 am

^ ha ha...good luck with that!

I think I'll write to him and tell him to stop destroying all of my favourite childhood memories (Alice, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...)

sonofspock1

Report this Mar. 08 2010, 7:31 pm

Quote (4_o_20 @ Mar. 07 2010, 7:08 am)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Mar. 06 2010, 8:06 pm)

I wish they showed that here. :(

There's a Doctor Who movie coming out? You got links?

No, it's for the new TV series. The one with the Doctor, Amy and the Weeping Angels.

sonofspock1

Report this Mar. 08 2010, 7:41 pm

Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Mar. 07 2010, 9:42 pm)
The music was okay but in no way Elfman's finest hour...

I've been listening to the soundtrack over the weekend. As you say, not Danny's finest hour, but I'm relly fond of "Alice's Theme". It's played in reprises' throughout the film, but the actual theme itself is played over the End Credits. It's about five minutes long, and I think it's one of he nicest things Danny has written in years. It's preformed by a female choir, and has a really greta choral feal to it.

Here's the first verse (I've been listening to it all day):

Oh Alice dear, where have you been?
So near, so far, so inbetween,
Where have you been, what have you seen?
Alice! Alice! Please, Alice!

But the best thing about the score? That the wretched Avril Lavigne song was on the Album and not the Score! :laugh:

But I agree with the rest of your review, Mrs. S.

DarthRage

Report this Mar. 09 2010, 11:50 am

You gave Inglorious Basterds zero stars? Wow. Just wow.

oxonium35

Report this Mar. 10 2010, 10:17 am

Quote (4_o_20 @ Mar. 09 2010, 4:23 pm)
Quote (DarthRage @ Mar. 09 2010, 11:50 am)
You gave Inglorious Basterds zero stars? Wow. Just wow.

Only my opinion. Box office results disagree with me, as they do with "Alice" as well...

At least "Avatar" agrees with me...

wow man you have some weird contradictions of taste. but it's always funny reading things like this just to see how different all people are.

avatar - amazing
inglorious - great
alice - okayish
charlie & chocoalte - awful awful awful
STXI - probably the worst film of all time (bit of an overstatement, but shockingly terrible)

Users browsing this forum: miklamar