Rapid aging episodes

OtakuJo

Report this Mar. 03 2010, 8:09 am

I'm not even sure how many of these there are -- but I'm sure there are enough to start a conversation. Throughout several series of Star Trek there are some episodes where one or more people experiences a process of rapid aging. I'm curious what people here think about the various premises of how and why this happens -- and of how it is handled within the story itself.

I won't try and list because some that I can think of I only know as "That one with Pulaski on the planet" or something like that.

To start off, my personal opinion is that the variety of concepts is interesting, and the actors involved generally end up doing "not a bad" job, the make up and FX behind these episodes can tend to distract a little.

We can make this as general or as specific as you like. But what do you think of the concept as a whole and the episodes which present characters in Star Trek as being very old?

Tin_Man

Report this Mar. 03 2010, 1:15 pm

Other than the Pulaski one which used the transporter to return her to her "youthfull" apearance I always thought the reverse process was too clean.

Your hair for instance wouldn't immediatly go back to normal nor would I think it would go white that fast. it is dead after all to begin with.

Skin probably woudn't heal that fast either.

out_of_this_world

Report this Mar. 03 2010, 2:09 pm

The TOS episode The Deadly Years sees kirk, spock and McCoy all age really fast and it is one of my favourites. I think pretending to be old often lets you see the characters in a slightly different light, almost like future episodes... that is episodes set in the future or featuring time travel into the future.
So on the whole I like rapid ageing episodes though the make-up often does look slightly unrealistic

OtakuJo

Report this Mar. 04 2010, 12:43 am

Quote (Tin_Man @ Mar. 03 2010, 1:15 pm)

Skin probably woudn't heal that fast either.

I was thinking something similar while watching "Man of the People" -- that's the one where that diplomat guy is sticking his icky thoughts into Troi. I suppose, from a purely storytelling perspective, the effect "works". Showing Troi just morph back into a young woman after Crusher had effectively "killed" her and all was an effective way of showing the audience that the crisis was over. Still, you are right -- it would be unlikely to work that way from a strictly scientific perspective.

Lucifer_

Report this Mar. 04 2010, 5:58 am

Quote (marshall8472 @ Mar. 03 2010, 8:28 am)
There are also episodes where people rapidly age backwards. ¿Mark Jameson in episode "Too Short a Season" TNG for example.

Rascals comes to mind, although the age change is instantaneous because of Malfunction of the Week. There was also "The Counter-Clock Incident" from TAS. And Kes in "Before and After."

Mirrorgirl

Report this Mar. 04 2010, 8:03 am

Quote (out_of_this_world @ Mar. 04 2010, 4:09 am)

But no more 'unrealistic' than guys who are painted lback on one sdie and white on the other.

I really enjoyed watching the actors go through the process of getting older. I think that in 'The Deadly Years' all four main actors do a great job.

Lucifer_

Report this Mar. 04 2010, 9:26 pm

If you're into fan episodes, Phase II did a one-shot story about Chekov rapidly aging, and older Chekov is played by Walter Koenig. Very cool story.

:bored: :logical: :honorable: :cool:

Unregistered_Guest

Report this Mar. 05 2010, 1:52 am

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Mar. 05 2010, 2:50 am

I loved the Deadly Years.

Shatner really sold the aging Captain

DeForest was also very good

:cool:

LtPondwater9

Report this Mar. 05 2010, 3:10 am

The one I was thinking about was aging in  reverse. "Too Short a Season".

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Mar. 05 2010, 3:31 am

The DS 9 episode with an aging Dr Bashir was very good as well

Unregistered_Guest

Report this Mar. 06 2010, 1:55 am

Using make-up to look older

Using make-up to look younger

^^  Which use of make-up is more believable?  :question:

juliansgirl7

Report this Mar. 06 2010, 1:19 pm

Quote (Trekwolf164 @ Mar. 05 2010, 3:31 am)

The DS 9 episode with an aging Dr Bashir was very good as well

Bashir was very cute when old. ¿He reminded me of the Jamie Filby character in the 1960 movie the Time Machine when George met him in the 60's. ¿Julian had a similar way of talking

As for Kirk in Trekwolf's post, he looked like Bob Hope without the pointy nose ¿:laugh:

BrotherofShran01