Why Tasha, but not Pulaski

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Mar. 02 2010, 8:08 pm

Any ideas why Tasha Yar's character came back a couple of times after her death, whereas Dr. Pulaski was not even invited back for any of the movies.

sonofspock1

Report this Mar. 02 2010, 9:17 pm

Wasn't it Denise Crosby who approached the producers with the idea of Sela after she was Yesterday's Enterprise?

The again, maybe Diana Muldaur didn't want to come back?

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Mar. 02 2010, 9:22 pm

Right, but I'm only referring directly to Tasha.  She was in Yesterday's Enterprise, and also All Good Things....

If anything something should have been said about her coming back for the finale.

sonofspock1

Report this Mar. 02 2010, 9:29 pm

But didn't she always come up as "Special Guest Star" or something? And with the way the finale was set up, she couldn't have been in the 2363 time zone, and to be honest if she were in the other two, it could've come across as trying to fit in everyone. Look at Lost: Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof have gone to great lengths to bring everyone back for the final season, and to me, it feels a bit jokey.

But I do remember Pulaski having a cameo in a comic book from the '90s. :cool:

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Mar. 02 2010, 9:32 pm

yeah...I guess you are right it probably wouldn't have worked in the script anywhere.

TashaYar86

Report this Mar. 03 2010, 3:14 am

It would have been nice if Pulaski would have come back.

subytrek

Report this Mar. 03 2010, 12:42 pm

I actually liked Pulaski. I thought her character brought a much needed angle of conflict into the perfect TNG crew. It would have been nice to bring her back for an episode or two.

sonofspock1

Report this Mar. 03 2010, 5:13 pm

Quote (RedShirtGuyNumber1001 @ Mar. 03 2010, 2:32 am)

It would've been nice to see Pulaski again at some stage, but if she appeared in the finale, it could've felt forced.

FriendlyTrekker

Report this Mar. 04 2010, 11:52 am

I believe the novelization of "All Good Things..." had a scene between Lwaxana and Pulaski in which they discussed some developments since season 2, such as Alexander.  I remember Pulaski admitting she had been wrong about Data.

subytrek

Report this Mar. 04 2010, 12:01 pm

I thought she admitted that back in Season 2.

Pooneil

Report this Mar. 05 2010, 2:32 pm

I think Diana Muldaur retired. Her last credit on IMDb is for 1992. Either the writers couldn't figure out a sensible way for her to return, she didn't want to, or she couldn't find time in her schedule.

A good place for her to return would have been "Ethics" in Season 5. She could have replaced Toby Russell and created a more interesting conflict -- it would have been the first and only time Crusher and Pulaski meet. Although I'm not sure Pulaski would have agreed with Russell's plans anymore than Crusher did.

sonofspock1

Report this Mar. 05 2010, 5:33 pm

It's weird. After Tasha dies in Skin of Evil, things suddenly start to click. The crew seem to work with those seven/eight core characters.

Having nine regular characters from the start was a mistake.

GulBahana

Report this Jul. 31 2010, 6:51 pm

She wasn't a very popular character with a lot of fans. That's probably why she didn't come back.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Sep. 03 2010, 1:17 pm

I didn't mind that Pilaski wasn't seen after season2.

kmb035

Report this Sep. 05 2010, 6:11 pm

I hated natasha yar's character. I was happy to see her killed off Worf is awesome. I also hate dr. crusher, I liked Dr. Pulaski and so did Gene, but they decided to bring gates back, I cant stand her. Pulaski rocked.