The GOOD bits of Nemesis

theultimateguinan

Report this Feb. 22 2010, 11:36 pm

***Apologies to the old timers in advance if this topic has already been covered... I searched the Movies board for "favorite nemesis" and nothing came up, so went ahead and started a new topic.***

Nemesis cops a lot of flack and it's true that there is much that could have been changed to not only make a better film, but a better swansong for our beloved TNG characters.

But... there is plenty of GOLD.

What bits of Nemesis send a chill down your spine?

For me:

1) The final observation lounge scene - the last time these characters will sit around the table together.... and this is an epic one..... "Shinzon must not be allowed to use that weapon... all other concerns are secondary". They understand. He means HIS LIFE is secondary. They know what they have to do... for the last time..... "Red Alert, Battle Stations".....
2) Which leads to ... the red alert prep sequence.... I like it, suits the tone and nice way to transition into the battle and show the scope of operation on the Enterprise E.
3) The wedding is great, admit it.
4) Data shutting down B4 - more great work from Spiner.
5) Shinzon's arrogance and some great lines.... "Not for long!" lol
6) Like the series did... TNG movies end with the crew (albiet with some changes) preparing to go off again to their next adventure.... in my opinion TNG can end in no other way....

Plus one more, its not so important, but I like the new Romulan Warbirds - they are an awesome design, pity we didn't get to see them again.

Vger23

Report this Feb. 23 2010, 10:42 am

There's plenty of good in Nemesis, just like there's plenty of good in ALL the Trek films.

1. The final scene between Riker and Picard is excellent. It may not have been QUITE as good as the final scene of "...All Good Things," but they both bring a tear to my eye. Good stuff.

2. The scene between Picard and Shinzon in the ready room is well done. Classic TNG stuff.

3. The space battle at the end is good, even though I think it could have been cut down a bit.

4. I also liked the briefing room scene where they are preparing for a potentially deadly encounter with Shinzon.

5. The little character scene between Picard and Crusher in Picard's quarters was nice, where they compare young Picard to Shinzon.

theultimateguinan

Report this Feb. 26 2010, 10:28 am

Quote (Vger23 @ Feb. 23 2010, 10:42 am)

I agree I like the scene but it should have been more - its PICARD and RIKER saying goodbye!

OzzieAlThor

Report this Feb. 26 2010, 1:20 pm

Quote (Vger23 @ Feb. 23 2010, 10:42 am)

So can I see the list of "good" from Star Trek 5?

DammitJim6200

Report this Feb. 26 2010, 4:32 pm

THE ARGO ! Troi and Riker's wedding, something that should had happen in "Generations" :D
Nemesis out shines JJ Abrams Star Trek 100 ways.

SpaceTherapist

Report this Feb. 26 2010, 4:47 pm

Quote (DammitJim6200 @ Feb. 25 2010, 5:32 pm)
Nemesis out shines JJ Abrams Star Trek 100 ways.

Accept at the box office, the critics and the majority of the fans.

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Feb. 26 2010, 10:38 pm

This movie was a stinker. ¿I really think that for this movie to have worked,¿Stewart should have played Shinzon. ¿I think had he agreed to do that this movie could have been seen as the enemy within. ¿The shadow of ones self, and it even though not an original idea it may have appealed more but not seen as the same as the "mirror" episodes.

I think this movie stank up the show for a few reasons. ¿

1.) The story was not original.

2.) ¿It was marketed wrong by the producers. (and when it didn't go the way the wanted it the tried to put the entire blame of the movies lack of success on the director Stuart Baird.)

3.) ¿Tom Hardy was not a good actor.

4.) ¿Data died (very similar to Spock's death. ¿BnB were hoping this would have lead to a "Search for Data" movie but it didn't work because fans saw right through it.

williamslakesm

Report this Feb. 27 2010, 1:17 am

2 best parts of Nemesis

1)No use of a holodeck in any capacity
2)No time travel

I hate the overuse of those things in Star Trek.

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Feb. 27 2010, 10:37 am

lol...that's true by the time season 2 of Enterprise ended I was so sick and tired of "temporal" incursions that stank up the script.

Vger23

Report this Feb. 27 2010, 1:25 pm

Quote (RedShirtGuyNumber1001 @ Feb. 26 2010, 10:38 pm)
This movie was a stinker. ?I really think that for this movie to have worked,?Stewart should have played Shinzon. ?I think had he agreed to do that this movie could have been seen as the enemy within. ?The shadow of ones self, and it even though not an original idea it may have appealed more but not seen as the same as the "mirror" episodes.

I think this movie stank up the show for a few reasons. ?

1.) The story was not original.

2.) ?It was marketed wrong by the producers. (and when it didn't go the way the wanted it the tried to put the entire blame of the movies lack of success on the director Stuart Baird.)

3.) ?Tom Hardy was not a good actor.

4.) ?Data died (very similar to Spock's death. ?BnB were hoping this would have lead to a "Search for Data" movie but it didn't work because fans saw right through it.

I think it's amazing how you can answer completely OPPOSITE the question which was posed.

So, your answer was EXACTLY useless given the posted topic.

Congrats!

Vger23

Report this Feb. 27 2010, 1:27 pm

Quote (OzzieAlThor @ Feb. 26 2010, 1:20 pm)
Quote (Vger23 @ Feb. 23 2010, 10:42 am)

So can I see the list of "good" from Star Trek 5?

I honestly think if you look around the board (literally at the topics available on the FIRST PAGE) you'll find discussions about Star Trek V that include positives.

Can you give me a list of things positive about your antagonistic and off-topic post?

Probably not.

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Feb. 27 2010, 2:17 pm

I gave my own answer...there were no positives of Nemesis, it was just a bad movie, and badly handled.

mardok

Report this Feb. 27 2010, 2:56 pm

best part of Nemisis was when the end credits rolled :laugh:

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Feb. 27 2010, 4:30 pm

lol...yeah I forgot about that.

trekfan4peace

Report this Mar. 24 2010, 9:30 pm

Quote (Vger23 @ Feb. 23 2010, 10:42 am)

Agreed.

This was not the best movie of the series, but there are some good parts.  What I really liked is the cloning theme of the movie, and whether we are the product of our individual self or our environment.

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam