Season 4

kludge77

Report this Feb. 22 2010, 7:01 pm

I'm sure I'm not the first to post this revelation, but season 4 was well, "Too much too fast!"

As a point of reference, season 2 is probably my favorite at this point. It was a great first half and a perfect last quarter, with just a few bombs in the middle.

Season 3 was fun. An large arch that sort of reminded me of a DS9 type season. Fine, enjoyable but didn't surprise me to learn that the show was scheduled to die after this season. A handful of great episodes, and a heavy helping of so so episodes. Still good TV

Season 4 was cool. I loved it. but... IT WAS WAY TOO MUCH! It's was like guzzling wine. Wine is meant to be savoured. Not devoured.
"Wait"
"There's no time! We HAVE to tie up all the loose ends!"
"WHY?"
"Because you have to see what happens"
"Stop! Just go back to season 2 and tell good episodic TV. Episodes that can stand alone, and don't need a 4 minute introduction!"

Then came TATV. But then I've known about it since day one, when I first came here. It was ... I don't know, expected? They had to end with the forming of the Federation. Trips death was pointless and stupid, but again not unexpected.

The unexpected. That is exactly was season 4 was really missing. Nothing was unexpected. (How could it be with it being a prequel show trying to make the last season consistent with the other time-lines.)

We knew some Klingons would be ridge less.
We knew the augments would fail
We knew the Federation would be formed.

Oddly enough, I found myself wishing for a JJ Abrams type Vulcan explosion. Now I can see why they went that route. We had to see something we didn't expect!

It's over. I'm done. This sucks.

Enterprise19

Report this Feb. 22 2010, 7:14 pm

Quote (kludge77 @ Feb. 22 2010, 7:01 pm)

"Wait"
"There's no time! We HAVE to tie up all the loose ends!"
"WHY?"
"Because you have to see what happens"

We knew some Klingons would be ridge less.
We knew the augments would fail
We knew the Federation would be formed.

It's over. I'm done. This sucks.

I take it you just saw TATV recently, or you would have posted this on the TATV threads. Not that I mind, though. No one's posted on those in ages.

EDIT: Actually, you probably did post on those. I forgot you were talking about S4. Yeah, it was too short.

grigori

Report this Feb. 22 2010, 9:06 pm

Quote (kludge77 @ Feb. 22 2010, 7:01 pm)

...It's over. I'm done. This sucks.

I can sorta see this. I liked the stand-alone episode Observer Effect, and Divergence was a lot of fun.

I loved being on Vulcan for an extended period of time in the Vulcan arc.

What sucks? The Season? or being done with it?

( You didn't pull a SonofSpock and watch the whole Season in, like, three days, did you? :laugh: )

ViperMan2000

Report this Feb. 22 2010, 9:28 pm

Quote (grigori @ Feb. 22 2010, 9:06 pm)
Quote (kludge77 @ Feb. 22 2010, 7:01 pm)

...It's over. I'm done. This sucks.

I loved being on Vulcan for an extended period of time in the Vulcan arc.

What sucks? The Season? or being done with it?

I can see it now. Every time you watch a whole season of a show in one day, it will be called "pulling an SoS."

:laugh:

"Where were you yesterday? I didn't see you at work."
"I just pulled an SoS."
"My God, you're brave! What was the fuel?"
"Red Bull."
"Sweet!"

(I just read a few of Kludge's blogs, and kinda picked up on his writing habits with the quote things :laugh:  :laugh: )

whyaduck

Report this Feb. 23 2010, 10:08 am

I disagree about season 4. I didn't think it was too much. I really liked the arcs and especially Home. I do agree that season 2 was wonderful. Some of my favorites are in that season and it continued to show the characters and their relationships evolving.  Season 3 was a lot of fun too. Some of the best standalone eps are in that season, plus some good stuff in the Xindi episodes.

The most upsetting thing about Season 4 is that it was prematurely the last season and it ended with the abomination.

kludge77

Report this Feb. 23 2010, 11:45 am

Quote (grigori @ Feb. 22 2010, 6:06 am)
Quote (kludge77 @ Feb. 22 2010, 7:01 pm)

...It's over. I'm done. This sucks.

I loved being on Vulcan for an extended period of time in the Vulcan arc.

What sucks? The Season? or being done with it?

Dear Forum members;

I hope this letter find you well. I just wanted to start off and say that before anyone jumps to a premature conclusion I'm still very much a fan of the series.

That being said I believe that seasons 4, while chocked full of "good fun" and "fan nods" wasn't as "perfect" as seasons 1&2 for me personally. The last time I posted here about a show I had just finished Carpenter Steet.

I then completed the remainder of season 3 and all of season 4 in a nasty Star Trek type orgy. For me, this might be the reason it was too much too fast. I'm not sure. I didn't personally care for the augment or the Klingon arch, but did like the Vulcan arch Terra Prime duo VERY MUCH.

I agree with many that Terra Prime would have been a better ending. I have never cared for the oversexing of the show, so the Orions were a bit much for me. Over all I wish there was more, but I'm have to say for me personally. Season 4 wasn't the best of the 4.

It's over and it sucks. I wish I had more Trek to watch!

grigori

Report this Feb. 23 2010, 1:15 pm

Quote (kludge77 @ Feb. 23 2010, 11:45 am)
It's over and it sucks. I wish I had more Trek to watch!

welcome to the club. feels sorta like the twilight of Rivendell sometimes...

I didn't care for the Augment arc too much, either. I liked Bound because it carried on ENT's fine tradition of turning the tables on gender expectations, a la Unexpected, 2 Days and 2 Nights, Exile, Hatchery and even the Empress Hoshi story.

nice to have kludge back again. :)

sonofspock1

Report this Feb. 23 2010, 6:36 pm

Quote (grigori @ Feb. 23 2010, 2:06 am)

Hey g, did I ever tell you I watched S3 of The Original Series in a week?

And yes, I'm serious! I don't know wherter to be ashamed or proud! :laugh:

And I LOVE These Are The Voyages... ;)

:laugh:

sonofspock1

Report this Feb. 23 2010, 6:43 pm

Quote (kludge77 @ Feb. 23 2010, 12:01 am)

We knew some Klingons would be ridge less.
We knew the augments would fail
We knew the Federation would be formed.

I uppose that is the problem with prequels. We know Anakin is going to become Darth Vader, We know the Federation will be formed in 2161...

But it's the journey that's the important bit. We all knew how Revenge of the Sith would end, but Order 66 is a powerful scequence.

kludge77

Report this Feb. 23 2010, 6:46 pm

Quote (sonofspock1 @ Feb. 23 2010, 3:43 am)
Quote (kludge77 @ Feb. 23 2010, 12:01 am)

We knew some Klingons would be ridge less.
We knew the augments would fail
We knew the Federation would be formed.

I agree. I think that's just my reasoning as to why I was less impressed with Season 4 over Season 2.

Still some great episodes, just not the same rush as I got with 2!

TaoTrek

Report this Feb. 23 2010, 6:57 pm

Season 2 was a very good season all around.

I really didn't like season 3 and I thought that it was the worst season of all 4 seasons. Too much Xindi with too many storylines that didn't seem very interesting.

Season 4 RULED! ¿My absolute favorite season out of the 4 with plenty of fascinating storylines that left me wanting more.

kludge77

Report this Feb. 23 2010, 7:02 pm

Quote (TaoTrek @ Feb. 23 2010, 3:57 am)
Season 2 was a very good season all around.

Season 4 RULED! ?My absolute favorite season out of the 4 with plenty of fascinating storylines that left me wanting more.

Is that because of your TOS bent? I mean from your Avatar I'm guessing if ENT hadn't have tried to align itself well with TOS you would have been unhappy about that.

Just a thought. What do you think?

sonofspock1

Report this Feb. 23 2010, 7:05 pm

Quote (Yanks @ Feb. 23 2010, 11:43 pm)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Feb. 23 2010, 6:36 pm)
Quote (grigori @ Feb. 23 2010, 2:06 am)

Hey g, did I ever tell you I watched S3 of The Original Series in a week?

And yes, I'm serious! I don't know wherter to be ashamed or proud! :laugh:

And I LOVE These Are The Voyages... ;)

:laugh:

:laugh: I didn't know that existed.

See? I educated you all!

Chronic showed me that site a few weeks back. It lists every Star Trek book printed, official or not.

sonofspock1

Report this Feb. 23 2010, 7:08 pm

Quote (kludge77 @ Feb. 23 2010, 11:46 pm)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Feb. 23 2010, 3:43 am)
Quote (kludge77 @ Feb. 23 2010, 12:01 am)

We knew some Klingons would be ridge less.
We knew the augments would fail
We knew the Federation would be formed.

Still some great episodes, just not the same rush as I got with 2!

I'd have to say actually that S2 is my least favourite season. The episodes were fine, but in a series that is defined by serialised episodes and story-arcs, S2 is a bit out of place.

TaoTrek

Report this Feb. 23 2010, 7:16 pm

Quote (kludge77 @ Feb. 23 2010, 5:02 pm)
Quote (TaoTrek @ Feb. 23 2010, 3:57 am)
Season 2 was a very good season all around.

Just a thought. What do you think?

Interesting question.

I never really got into TOS that much, but I grew up watching the TOS movies and still love them.

I subscribe more to the entertainment-rather-than-STRICT-canon-interpretation school of thought, so I'm not sure if I would have been happy or unhappy if ENT had decided to go its own way instead of aligning itself with TOS.

Users browsing this forum: sonofspock1