Steer Clear Or be read for a Huge dissapointment

GreekTrekkie

Report this Feb. 19 2010, 11:17 pm

I honestly do not understand why CBS would give the license to Cryptic. Two weeks of play and I quit.

If you are expecting to experience ST, forget it.

1. Content: Repetitive missions with no flavor at all, no ST feeling just scanning things and killing. Imagine a mindnumbing thing over and over in a different setting. Scanning is just pressing "F" and watching a bar fill and you are done. Put five of those actions and it makes an exploration mission.

The rest is just mindless, brutal slaughter even when you play as a Federation officer. There's no such thing as a prime directive, the Feds are at war WITH VIRTUALLY EVERY SINGLE major faction there is in ST universe. I even did a mission where you had to kill people in a bar who objected to a safety and regulations check and another where I was ordered to kill romulan scientists. No options for diplomacy no nothing.

2. Combat/Gameplay: Since combat is all there is to it, it is fun for a couple of days to fly your ship and blow things up. Away missions involve more killing and it's bland, unispired and repetitive. You can earn your captain's pins in a week full of butchering everything in sight.

3. The environment of the game is "instanced". There is no vastness of space, no immersion. You play in small "sectors" of space that are small enough to feel you are flying a model ship inside a series of connected matchboxes.

There's really nothing to it. Unless you are a teenager who gets thrills by killing digital stuff, you should avoid it like the plague. I find it distasteful and a complete sacrilage of the Star Trek license and CBS should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this online farce to continue bear the name Star Trek in the box.

If you do not want to take my word for it, go ahead and buy and see for yourself. No self-respecting ST fan would call this a Star Trek game.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Feb. 20 2010, 11:07 am

The graphics didn't look that great to me. The games coming out soon on the PS3, like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Red Dead Redemption look way better.

PhantomCrunk007

Report this Feb. 22 2010, 2:11 am

This is a great game. Don't listen to the haters, decide for yourself.

DarkStarFD607

Report this Feb. 26 2010, 9:16 am

This is a great game with alot of Potential. He're we are chopping the game and it hasnt been out 30 days yet. Since this is going to be a different game than Legacy or D.A.C. we have to accept the changes.

If you didnt already know... ALL video games are repetitive... They are programs...ie only made to carry out certain functions... I didnt accept this till I logged off STO one day and then played 5 rounds of modern warfare 2, and then 2 short games in MADDEN 10. Then I realized that I was doing the same thing over and over again in each game... In MW2, I was running and gunning, in Madden 10, its football... That is self explanatory. ¿Take it from me, when you start noticing the repetition, its time to turn off the video game and go do something else...

¿Cryptic has implied alot of improvements and changes to come to the game. Where alot of negatives could be said about STO, I think alot of them are counter balanced by Reading up on the game on the official game site.

Complaints about it not following the trek universe: The past is detailed and accurate in this game. Alot of the things happening are because of actions taken by our favorite captains and starfleet officers of Television and literature.

You obviously didnt play through missions like the Kuvah' Magh and Saturday's Child or The Doomsday Device, Or City on the Edge of Never... Those missions all came from past Series...

Some of the Ideas of Trek Need to be left in the past... In this game its 2409 not 2388 not 2379 not 2269... 2409... and in that span since Nemesis alot has happend... All of which is on a link on Cryptic's STO website.

Don't you think it would be hard to Explore when most of the Galaxy is at war?

I aggree to the fact that Cryptic should have initially had more exploration and diplomacy missions that dont included firing phasers, but like they say this is a constantly evolving game... It can change...

I also agree that the mission in the bar should have been a fist fight...which can be done if you disarm yourself... but the enemies there should have had no weapons... That would have been better.

As for the Graphics... Mine looked screwy until I went into the options and cranked them up! It looks great now! Most of what they show, is not at max capability. Plus the default settings are low.

As for the instancing... I dont think we should criticize that... Because this game is dynamic as in going from ship to surface and there are multiple places to go, And there are always alot of people playing... It serves its purpose. I feel that sometimes as trek fans who have been amazed by alot of things, we asked for too much or the impossible versus the practical. We are also quick to judge without full self analysis.

Cryptic is however robbing us by charging us for membership fees especially when everyone is struggling economicly... Besides that characters should start with 5000 energy credits instead of nothing.

Whats most important is that this game has not disrespected the past. It has taken it and built a present and future based on it. Its different because we all play together, not apart. We also dont follow one captain or the 5 captains... We are our own captains... and we write our own page in the trek lineage.

It is understandable that we havent gotten what we wanted out of this game, BUT This is a living MMO... It can be changed... Hopefully Cryptic will change it to please those not pleased... But were not even 30 days in... SO we need to relax ¿:D

TheDriver

Report this Mar. 07 2010, 3:38 pm

I like Star Trek Online.

Why? Because it's fun.

Plus, the developers are listening to the criticisms and making progress toward assuaging the fans' concerns. Remember, this game has only been out a few months now.

If anyone wants to read detalied analyses by yours truly? Head over to the DS9 board and look for the thread "Any DS9 fans playing Star Trek Online?"

OscarMike

Report this Mar. 08 2010, 3:53 pm

I'm glad people are sticking up for STO. How can people critizise sooooo quickly?? Give the game a break kidies

HDawesome

Report this Mar. 09 2010, 1:16 am

What fun is a game where all you do is walking around and "Hug it out" with some J-man forcing his way on your stuff? Sometimes you need to pull your side iron and blow that F'er away. What you find with STO is the same thing you find with WOW and SWG, they are all the same type of game ... if you don't like it then don't play an MMORPG.

Simple as that.

PhantomCrunk007

Report this Mar. 09 2010, 3:45 am

Quote (HDawesome @ Mar. 08 2010, 10:16 am)

Simple as that.

lol @
"Hug it out"

TheDriver

Report this Mar. 09 2010, 10:22 am

Just fyi...

Today, March 9th, Amazon.com is running a "daily deal" special in which you can purchase Star Trek Online for only $27.99.

This is nearly half off the regular price!

OscarMike

Report this Mar. 09 2010, 1:25 pm

That is a good price for STO

I had to chuckle to myself when I read that... so true

rkinne01

Report this Mar. 21 2010, 4:28 pm

Quote (GreekTrekkie @ Feb. 19 2010, 11:17 pm)

If you are expecting to experience ST, forget it.

1. First off the scan key is V and not F. You need to go back and replay the missions, you didn't kill the bar patrons but you did stun them. The Romulan scientists were trying to kill you, makes sense that you'd return fire.

Yeah that's kind of the point the whole galaxy has gone nuts everyone seems to be at war with everyone else, so The Federation has had adapt to survive. ¿If you had actually taken the time to play the game and PAID ATTENTION to the storyline you'd have picked up on the backstory.

2. Combat/Gameplay: I guess this one is in the eye of the beholder as I personally don't find the combat repetitive at all. It's fun equiping different equipment combinations on your ship and ground crew to see what works for you and what doesn't. I also find some weaponary is more effective against some enemies than others. ¿I will grant you that leveling is too fast, they should slow it down, but this a problem with most MMO games and not just STO.

3. Envrionmental: Did you even play this game? Seriously. There is plenty of space to fly in or ground to run around on, saying the you're playing in a matchbox is not at all correct. ¿There are limits to the system you're in but its rarely an issue, enemies don't tend to run off so you just don't see the edge of a map that often to make the environment an issue.

Why should CBS and Paramont be ashamed of this game? You clearly did not play the game enough to give a fair accessment of game play. ¿What is it you would have liked to have seen? I just don't think assembling warp engines or taking a week to negotiate a peace treaty on some planet would be entertaining. The bottom line is that most people WANT to blow stuff up and thats whats going to sell the game. Not even Picard wanted to scan comets in the neutral zone.

PhantomCrunk007

Report this Mar. 22 2010, 3:30 am

Quote (GreekTrekkie @ Feb. 19 2010, 8:17 am)

If you are expecting to experience ST, forget it.

This star trek fan loves this game.

Why? EXACTLY BECAUSE IT HAS NO DIPLOMACY. You really want to pay $15 a month to "hug it out" with your enemies?

jrgranger1

Report this Mar. 28 2010, 10:07 am

This game is nothing more than a simple shooter (overly simple) and a simple flight sim (again overly simple) They had the chance to make this a truely great game like SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) in the first 2 years. They blew it. Once again the Star Trek franchise has been diminished a little bit more. Why can't any one make a great game for a great series of shows? Theres no real depth to this game. Its go and shoot/find somthing/ someone rinse and repeat. As much as I now hate SWG after the socalled "New Game Enhancments" I'd rather spend my money there, its still a better game than this disapointment. Lets face it they made a kids game not a game that takes any thought.

FanGuy

Report this Apr. 01 2010, 1:51 am

Anyone know the difference between STO and the Collector's Edition, besides the latter being twice the initial price and having a fifth star in its Walmart rating?

It would have been nice if it was marketed like Disney multi-user games. There's a free, limited version/download, and a premeium/fee delux version.

I'm sure that my system is not up to task, but there's a "lousy" setting to keep things going smoothly.

My understanding that various play systems are in separate universes, or were. Is this true?

I'm thinking about getting a gaming system, possibly PS3 for its flexible features, but would like to be in an environment with anyone on any system. This is not the biggest criterion for choosing a system, but could break a tie. Buying an expensive video card is something to avoid. Anyway, advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Corwin8

Report this Apr. 01 2010, 10:56 pm

The game lacks 2 things for me.

No direction, no one to tell you what a good career path would be, or a simple walkthrough.

Ground combat is staggered and weak. I love the Fleet actions, but every time I beam down I have to find the sparkly things to scan, or shoot an alien in the face.

I would love to see some training missions. Or possible advancement paths.