Age to start using alcohol

Report this Feb. 11 2010, 11:15 pm

I believe no sooner than 18yo under adult supervision.

We allowed our kids a glass of wine with meals under our supervision (if they asked for it) from the age of 14yo and made sure we set a very good example for them with how we consume alcohol (actually not very often for us).

Kdbtrekkin

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 1:41 am

If you can vote, you can drink.

boco

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 2:54 am

I had my first beer at 20 ... can you belive that??

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 4:39 am

Quote (boco @ Feb. 11 2010, 4:54 am)
I had my first beer at 20 ... can you belive that??

Nothing wrong with that.

You will know you don't need alcohol to have a good time.

ssmukhi

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 4:55 am

"Using" alcohol? Is alcohol a device,tool, or machine to be used?  What is it "used" for?

CornishMonkey

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 5:39 am

If you are considered responsible enough pilot an automobile at 17, you are old enough to have a wee snifter. Besides, I think a little wine at dinner when you are young doesn't hurt. Also, a little whisky in the baby's milk etc.

television

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 7:53 am

I say 17 think 12 is just a bit to young.

IVHoltzman

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 10:12 am

It's self-correcting in the single digits. I've never known anyone who liked the taste of liquor, beer or even wine at any age lower than 11. The universal response is to immediately spit it out.

The first time I got drunk was at age 13 because no one was watching the champagne flutes at a cousin's wedding. Yes, an older cousin. But anyway. No one cared that I partook of the champagne. It's just that I had no prior experience to tell me when enough was enough, and no one else was keeping count. I lost count after about ten glasses within that many minutes. There was a benefit to overdoing it that first time, though. I've never since wanted to "party 'til I puked." But by age 14, after I'd come in from mowing the yard in summer, part of my payment was an ice-cold beer. I never wanted more than one, and I never really wanted beer any other time.

Until I went to college and discovered Foster's beer in the handy oilcan size. But even then, one of those was more than enough.

And that's the key... after a kid reaches the age where alcohol starts to taste good, the less it's forbidden, the less it's wanted.

dandandat

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 10:27 am

Age is a relative thing and depends on the maturity of the individual. As for laws go; I think anywhere between 18 and 21 is a good ketch all. It simply makes younger people think twice about their actions and if that is enough to avert some disaster it makes law worthwhile.

On the individual bases, I think it¿s a family issue. A good parent will instill some proper discipline into a child when it comes to drinking. When and where it¿s ok and at what age.

captain_proton_au

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 10:29 am

Never really been a big fan of alcohol.

But I believe most peoples first encounter happens without their parents knowledge, which is the way it should be, the counter argument is a bit too Brady Bunch

dandandat

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 10:36 am

Quote (captain_proton_au @ Feb. 12 2010, 1:29 pm)
Never really been a big fan of alcohol.

I would have to disagree; it has been my experience that a child¿s first encounter with alcohol comes with the parent¿s knowledge; and than a lot of the times under the parent¿s interaction.

Even if it¿s just that sip of mom¿s drink when your little. How else do you teach your kids about alcohol if you don¿t expose them to it?

My earliest experiences with alcohol was helping my dad drink his beer after helping him clean up the yard; and tasting my grandfathers prize winning homemade win at the Sunday dinner table. And this was bellow 10 years old.

QdonQ

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 11:10 am

College...

I work as a bouncer at a night club...  I have alot of servicemen and women who come to the club.  Some are under 21.  It makes me really mad that I can't let them in.  In a week they are going to go oversees and possibly die for their country.  But they can't have a beer..

Makes no sense...

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 1:34 pm

My parents came to the realization that I drank beer with my friends when I was 18. After that they started buying it for me on the weekends. They figured that if we were going to drink anyway, it was safer for us to drink at our house and not drive anywhere.

SpaceTherapist

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 1:42 pm

In my college course for my master's degree in mental health counseling I did an in depth study of what alcohol does to the body...it treats it like a poison!

I don't know why people want to poison themselves.

But if you're going to drink wait until you're of legal age.

QdonQ

Report this Feb. 12 2010, 5:07 pm

If we treat people as adults a 18 then drinking should be allowed... If they can get the death penalty  then they can drink....

Users browsing this forum: DS9TREK, FleetAdmiral_BamBam