Your home

Report this Jan. 30 2010, 9:16 pm

Do you rent it ?
Do you board (with friends or family) ?
Is mortgaged or owned outright (by you) ?

What kind of home is it ?

Mine is a 4 bedroom HardyPlank and tile house of modest size (started life as a 3 bedroom fibro and tile housing commission house , I'm the 3rd owner and was originally built about 50 years ago).
It's blessed with a large block of land - a bit more than a 1/4 acre.
I've done extensive improvements and renovations and modernizations of the building and been living in it and raised a family here since 1981.
I own it outright.

Valdena

Report this Jan. 30 2010, 9:18 pm

I own my own home in south Florida, I live on 15 acres. This is my 3rd home.

Report this Jan. 30 2010, 9:48 pm

Oops !!! somehow I double posted ....

Report this Jan. 30 2010, 9:58 pm

I'm seriously considering a tree change now we are retired , somewhere coastal up north , not metro , but near enough to a major centre so we can get everything and facilities are top rate (now we ¿are getting older , and our kids are all grown up , the more important things are a excellent local hospital and good accessible health care , good shopping , good entertainment venues in reach) , preferably on an acreage and not prone to flooding or inaccessible / unescapeable in the event of a bad bush fire.

Dark unpolluted skies at night would be a plus , and the fishing would have to be top knotch in the vacinity of the place.

Goodchild

Report this Jan. 30 2010, 11:46 pm

I sold my home that was on 2000m

I'm hoping to build on my land by the lake where I live and buy my relatives out so that I will have 10 acres in total on the farm..

Report this Jan. 31 2010, 3:14 am

Quote (Goodchild @ Jan. 30 2010, 1:46 am)
I sold my home that was on 2000m

mmmm .... 1/2 an acre would have been OK , plenty of room for vege patches , a good sized double garage , a good sized roll off roof observatory , and maybe a good sized pool. Plenty of room for the kiddies to run about.

That's nearly twice what I have.

10 acres would be extremely nice .... not so big you feel isolated.

I don't know how people can stand living on those pokey little 600-700 square m blocks of land , in their monster houses that take up most of the block of land. I've had people telling me I could subdivide my block or put a triplex or duplex on it.... why would I ?

Goodchild

Report this Jan. 31 2010, 10:18 am

Quote (Somerled_ex_Siistertrek @ Jan. 30 2010, 11:14 pm)
Quote (Goodchild @ Jan. 30 2010, 1:46 am)
I sold my home that was on 2000m

That's nearly twice what I have.

10 acres would be extremely nice .... not so big you feel isolated.

The small blocks are ok for the city or for the elderly, but the privacy is lost on these smaller blocks thanks to the change in Govt policy; you'd think for such a big country and a small population compared to the population of the US that the block sizes would be bigger.
It's a great revenue raiser for the councils that can charge Utility taxes and maintain smaller areas. The developers make a lot of money and for every house, there is or was a stamp duty remember, GST etc;
Quite agree, even what you have where you are will become a rare block of land to find with the population exploding in the SE QLD corner...

Dewleaf

Report this Jan. 31 2010, 2:34 pm

We are buying our home....it should be completely paid for in about 15 years.

Isina

Report this Jan. 31 2010, 3:06 pm

Mortgaged, paid for in about 16 years.  Ours is a four-bedroom semidetached, three reception rooms, utility room, 2 bathrooms.  Back garden with patio, and front driveway.

boco

Report this Feb. 01 2010, 1:25 am

Just sold the house that I had and bought a new one...Still renovating (I haven't posted for a a few days-I've been busy painting the walls) .Will be mine in about 25 years :D
you don't even konw how expensive an apartment in Rome is... :cry:

Report this Feb. 01 2010, 4:48 am

Quote (Scoobydog @ Jan. 30 2010, 7:19 pm)
The mortgage on my 2 bedroom with garage one level house will be paid off in about 1-1/2 years. ¿WOOT!

It's a great feeling when you have the mortgage paid out .... I paid mine out 10 years ago.

Report this Feb. 01 2010, 4:52 am

Quote (boco @ Jan. 31 2010, 3:25 am)
you don't even konw how expensive an apartment in Rome is... :cry:

I hate painting .... so I clad most the interior walls with timber wall paneling (nice warm pine colour with a random groove spacing , the others I wall papered , only walls painted now are the laundry and the bathroom (not much wall above the fancy wall tiles).

boco

Report this Feb. 01 2010, 5:16 am

Quote (Somerled_ex_Siistertrek @ Feb. 01 2010, 4:52 am)
Quote (boco @ Jan. 31 2010, 3:25 am)
you don't even konw how expensive an apartment in Rome is... :cry:

I hate painting .... so I clad most the interior walls with timber wall cladding (nice warm pine colour with a random groove spacing , the others I wall papered , only walls painted now are the laundry and the bathroom (not much wall above the fancy wall tiles).

I LOVE PAINTING.. AND I'M DOING A VERY DIFFICULT PAINT- VENETIAN STILE.. IF YOU ARE CURIOUS SEARCH " STUCCO VENEZIANO RAFFAELLO" WITH GOOGLE.. IT TOOK ME 2 WEEKS TO DO JUST 1ROOM
IN HERE YOU PAY A WORKER  80 EURO/SQUARE METER TO DO IT

K_tigress

Report this Feb. 01 2010, 4:41 pm

I'd love my own place. Sadly I'm one of those people that live with there parents but luckily not in the basement so the stereotype does not totally apply.

I would love to have a nice house with a big yard like I had when I was growing up and with a decent studio to to my work in. Ideally someplace where its always tropical and close to or on the beach but at this point its nothing more then a pipe dream. :cool:

juliansgirl7

Report this Feb. 01 2010, 4:44 pm

It's a co-op and I own it.