Avatar is now the #1 Box Office hit in the world

SpaceTherapist

Report this Jan. 26 2010, 3:27 pm

It must be nice to have the number 1 & 2 movie in the entire world!

My wife and I along with some friends are going to see it again tonight!!

Avatar Box Office Mojo

CornishMonkey

Report this Jan. 26 2010, 3:32 pm

I have not seen this film. Now, as Titanic proves, one cannot use takings as a gauge of quality. Is it worth the effort?

SpaceTherapist

Report this Jan. 26 2010, 3:36 pm

Quote (CornishMonkey @ Jan. 25 2010, 4:32 pm)

It is my opinion that all movies are subjective to whether a person will like it or not and box office receipts can only tell you how successful a movie is and how many people are going to see a specific movie.

For me personally I love the movie and I am glad to see it again and can't wait for the DVD release.

EnterpriseSovereign

Report this Jan. 26 2010, 5:13 pm

I want to see it, but there are no cinemas nearby :(

grigori

Report this Jan. 26 2010, 6:02 pm

I SUPPOSE we'll go see it this weekend, so we aren't the last folks on earth who haven't. But really: good or just fair, it IS a big-screen experience I want. Most sci-fi and action I watch in the theatre for that reason; the rest can wait for DVD. Or cable.

kludge77

Report this Jan. 26 2010, 8:18 pm

Quote (grigori @ Jan. 26 2010, 3:02 am)

Well worth the coin for the 3D. which is something you just can't get at home.

A very cool movie.

sonofspock1

Report this Jan. 26 2010, 9:12 pm

I don't care. It's still a piss poor movie.

kludge77

Report this Jan. 26 2010, 9:26 pm

Quote (sonofspock1 @ Jan. 26 2010, 6:12 am)
I don't care. It's still a piss poor movie.

shrug. If you insist. I think it's a Dancing with Wolves remake, but I doubt I'm the first to make that revelation... :D

sonofspock1

Report this Jan. 26 2010, 9:32 pm

Quote (kludge77 @ Jan. 27 2010, 2:26 am)
Quote (sonofspock1 @ Jan. 26 2010, 6:12 am)
I don't care. It's still a piss poor movie.

Sorry, but I hated it. So what if it looks pretty? The story was dreary, and it was obvious how it was going to end after 15 minutes. Quaritch couldn't have been more cliched if he banged his chest and screamed "I am man! Here me roar!". And Cameron's ego seems to have swelled to record proportions. Then there was the Leona Lewis song...

To paraphrase the great English philosopher Monty Python: It smells of edelberries and I fart in it's general direction! :laugh:

K_tigress

Report this Jan. 26 2010, 10:22 pm

I heard heard already that there's a sequel in the works.  I'll leave it to your imagination.  :question:

Ndirsch11

Report this Jan. 27 2010, 3:34 am

I'm surprised to see so many people in this thread who haven't seen "Avatar" yet.  You would think science fiction fans would be the first in line to see it.  What are you waiting for?  It's the kind of movie that was meant to be experienced on the big screen.

As for me, I liked it quite a bit.  It's no masterpiece or anything but Cameron knows how to tell a story.

SpaceClown77

Report this Jan. 27 2010, 3:49 am

Quote (CornishMonkey @ Jan. 26 2010, 3:32 pm)

Like everyone else said: GO SEE THE FILM IN 3D. I saw it twice, truly breathtaking I tell you.

Avatar blew that steaming pile of junk, known as JJTrek, right out of the water.

Jadzia22

Report this Jan. 27 2010, 7:43 am

We saw it in 3D. THE ONLY FILM my Dad has EVER said "WOW". He now has the 3D bug, every film trailer he see's he asks "Is it in 3D?" If the answer is no he says "Won't see it then" :laugh:

I like it, the story is simple but I think it needed to be otherwise it would just be too much to take on screen.

norwegian

Report this Jan. 27 2010, 8:37 am

The top 2 movies are just average.  That must tell something about the people's taste.  It will probably win best picture, even though it shouldn't be in that category. Should be in the running for best Animated feature, along with Up and The Princess and the Frog.  Its just an elaborate cartoon.  I'm really beginning to hate CGI.

grigori

Report this Jan. 27 2010, 1:16 pm

Quote (Jadzia22 @ Jan. 27 2010, 7:43 am)
We saw it in 3D. THE ONLY FILM my Dad has EVER said "WOW".

Gave MY dad his first WOW experience, years after he'd been to the cinema, with STAR WARS, of all things. That was cool.

He's still around but I don't think I'll get him to the theatre for THIS one.

Users browsing this forum: DS9TREK