The Enterprise J

ViperMan2000

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 6:11 pm

The design for the Enterprise J appeared quite briefly on a panel in the episode Azati Prime. But, there have been several more pictures of it released, some of which I will try to get on here soon. What did you think of it?

Middleman

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 6:22 pm

ViperMan2000

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 6:23 pm

ViperMan2000

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 6:24 pm

I know this one is just a Lego model, but until I saw it, I could not figure out at all what the ship was actually supposed to look like. I thought all the pictures of it I saw were like skewed or something.

ViperMan2000

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 6:35 pm

I personally don't like the Enterprise J. When they try to create something that far ahead, it just doesn't seem like it works too well. For example, if they had kept going forward with Star Trek, creating the Enterprise F for an actual show, and creating other ships for the show, then when they made the Enterprise J, it would have looked completely different and it would have fit into an actual design lineage. As I understand it, this was kind of a rushed design. This is what Memory Alpha said: "According to Rob Bonchune, 'From what I understand, it was done quick and dirty, so was not really detailed in any way like a model we would use in multiple shots.' "

To me, it just doesn't look like a ship that could do anything, either. The ship is supposed to be so big that site-to-site teleporters replace turbolifts on it. With that scale, I could just imagine it going to warp and the tiny nacelles pushing it just fly right off. That's just my opinion. The proportions just don't look right, especially considering the whole design lineage of the other Star Trek shows and the stream-lined look that was really starting to develop with ships like the Enterprise E.

Well, that's my opinion. Thoughts?

grigori

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 6:42 pm

I don't think the "size" of the nacelles will make much difference when Warp Tech advances (as if we'd even know...)

Just how big is it supposed to be? comparatively speaking.

ViperMan2000

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 6:50 pm

Quote (grigori @ Jan. 17 2010, 6:42 pm)

Just how big is it supposed to be? comparatively speaking.

I know, but some things just don't look right some times. Like one of the designers said about the original Enterprise design from-- the Wrath of Khan, I think, that it looked like one good blast to the neck would break the ship in half. I believe that might have been about the Enterprise E design. They wanted it to actually look like it could hold together in a fight.

ViperMan2000

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 6:51 pm

From Memory Alpha:

The studio model for the Enterprise-J was built by Doug Drexler and called a Universe-class ship, about two miles in length. Drexler saw it "as a multi-generational vessel, that had large parks, entertainment zones, and entire universities on board. The ship is so large that turbolifts would be replaced with site to site transporters. [It] had one deflector, recognizably descended from the NX. I opted for spindly nacelle struts because I felt it suggested a technology beyond what we were familiar with. They are beyond transwarp. They can fold space, and they are exploring other galaxies besides the Milky Way." According to Rob Bonchune, "From what I understand, it was done quick and dirty, so was not really detailed in any way like a model we would use in multiple shots."

ViperMan2000

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 6:54 pm

Quote (Yanks @ Jan. 17 2010, 6:42 pm)

This actually isn't the Enterprise J design. It was a seperate concept that Drexler made for it. The pictures near the top are of the design that was picked for the episode.

ViperMan2000

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 6:58 pm

I really liked the Enterprise E. It was streamlined, and it actually looked like it could be a fast ship that could be in battle and hold together. The Enterprise J looks really bulky. I don't like the huge saucer section designs. They never really look right to me.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 6:59 pm

I would like to see more alloy on nacelles and the support pylons. The Enterprise J is not a bad design, but I would like to see some more meat on these bones. Also, I would like to have a idea of the offensive and defensive capabilities of the ship.

ViperMan2000

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 7:05 pm

Quote (BrotherofShran01 @ Jan. 17 2010, 6:59 pm)

Well, other than the few ideas that Doug Drexler based his design on, they really did not come up with much about this ship. It only appeared on an image on the wall for a few seconds, so they probably didn't really think about what its defenses are, or what the deck layout is or anything like that.

ViperMan2000

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 7:09 pm

Quote (Yanks @ Jan. 17 2010, 7:05 pm)
Quote (grigori @ Jan. 17 2010, 6:42 pm)

Just how big is it supposed to be? comparatively speaking.

Here's what we know

There's quite a bit more about it from Doug Drexler himself.

Its in that quote I posted from Memory Alpha.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 7:15 pm

I wonder if they should make a new Trek series based on the Enterprise J? It's cool looking but it is kind of like I was on D where it took awhile for me to like the D.

Maybe they could have had an episode were the NX-01 met the 1701-J and they had to help each other out of a situation?

grigori

Report this Jan. 17 2010, 7:19 pm

tx Vipe & Yx for the info!

Users browsing this forum: sonofspock1