Star Trek XI Tie-In Novels Postponed

> id="QUOTE">This Summer Simon & Schuster?s Pocket Books was planning to release four new Star Trek novels set in the new timeline of the 2009 Star Trek movie. However, today Pocket Books has informed TrekMovie that the four novels were being removed from their schedule, they have also issued a statement explaining why.

The (Almost) Summer of Star Trek movie tie-in Books
Last summer Simon & Schuster announced four novels for the Summer of 2010 that would be tied into the 2009 Star Trek movie. Pocket announced titles and authors for each. All four were set in the new timeline after the events of the film, but were to be ?stand-alone? books that were not tied to each other. Last week we reported on summaries of those books from the S&S summer sales brochure, and all four have been available for pre-order at Amazon and other retailers for months. ?The first of these books, "Star Trek: Refugees", written by Alan Dean Foster (who wrote the 2009 Star Trek movie novelization in 2009), was due to be released in May of this year. Here is the full list:

? ?* Star Trek: Refugees, by Alan Dean Foster (May)
? ?* Star Trek: Seek A Newer World, by Christopher L. Bennett (June)
? ?* Star Trek: More Beautiful than Death, by David Mack (July)
? ?* Star Trek: The Hazard of Concealing, by Greg Cox (August)

A spokesperson for Simon & Schuster?s Pocket Books provided TrekMovie with the following statement explaining why the books were pulled:

:D

MrsStarbuck

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 11:19 am

Quote (starbase63 @ Jan. 14 2010, 4:19 pm)
Perhaps there is something in the developing plot of the next movie that may not josh with the books and they need to be re-written?

Yeah, I'm thinking this too...because that statement to me read more like they've been told to pull the books, rather than they wanted to.

fooledagain

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 11:55 am

Abrams and company are working on a lot of projects and according to many quotes have not yet even settled on the basic plot for the next movie. Also remember that A-Trek was written by Larry and Curly in a hotel room over a few weeks. The delay is probably due to there not yet being a solid plan for the story.

rocketscientist

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 12:32 pm

Wow, that's surprising news, VAB! ¿:O

Has Pocketbooks ever done this, pulled books from their schedule? ¿

Shatner complained that they didn't promote his Kirk and Spock at SF Academy book well because of Abrams' film. ¿Is this something similar.

I gotta say, the Spock-Prime book sounded very interesting. ¿Spock's presence is really a dangling plot thread, and a big one, in the new film, given his knowledge of the future. ¿I could totally see a story based on that, like Greg Cox's book. ¿It's a way of getting Nimoy back into the next film, perhaps in a bigger role than the last. ¿I wonder if that's why they scuttled all four of these books.

It feels like someone at Paramount or something put his foot down on these books.  Pocketbooks explanation doesn't make much sense to me.

Vger23

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 12:37 pm

Quote (rocketscientist @ Jan. 15 2010, 12:32 pm)
Wow, that's surprising news, VAB! ?:O

Has Pocketbooks ever done this, pulled books from their schedule? ?

Shatner complained that they didn't promote his Kirk and Spock at SF Academy book well because of Abrams' film. ?Is this something similar.

I gotta say, the Spock-Prime book sounded very interesting. ?Spock's presence is really a dangling plot thread, and a big one, in the new film, given his knowledge of the future. ?I could totally see a story based on that, like Greg Cox's book. ?It's a way of getting Nimoy back into the next film, perhaps in a bigger role than the last. ?I wonder if that's why they scuttled all four of these books.

It feels like someone at Paramount or something put his foot down on these books. ¿Pocketbooks explanation doesn't make much sense to me.

I thought I remembered reading that Ocri and Kurtzman considered some of the novels "canon."

I wonder if they are re-thinking the definition of canon as it relates to the new universe. Maybe books will be added to canon, and they want to keep things consistent.

That explanation would seem to make sense.

rocketscientist

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 1:56 pm

Quote (Vger23 @ Jan. 15 2010, 12:37 pm)
Quote (rocketscientist @ Jan. 15 2010, 12:32 pm)
Wow, that's surprising news, VAB! ?:O

Has Pocketbooks ever done this, pulled books from their schedule? ?

It feels like someone at Paramount or something put his foot down on these books. ?Pocketbooks explanation doesn't make much sense to me.

That explanation would seem to make sense.

I just checked out the responses to this news on trekmovie.com.

Bob Orci replied to a poster's question.  He said he and "the team" (I'm assuming Kurtzmann, Lindelof, Burke, and Abrams) has nothing to do with getting these novels pulled.

He said he would've liked to have read them.

Some guys on scifiwire.com speculated that it has to do with Pocketbooks somehow realizing that there wasn't a big enough market for these books.  These guys said that the new film only really appealed to older fans of TOS and maybe kids who don't read anyway.  I disagree with that assesment, but people are also pointing to Playmates ending their toyline as evidence of this, justifying that the film was really a failure or something with no staying power.

I dunno.  I really enjoyed it myself.  I thought ST XI brought back that same fun and excitement that the original show and films had and it seemed from the box office and the film critics that others agreed with that assesment.  So, if that's the case, why are these products being pulled?  Are they afraid of muddying the waters with two alternate timelines in their books?  Is it too much of an effort to edit two different timelines?

Well, whatever.  All I personally care about is the next film coming out.  I just wish I didn't have to wait until 2012.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 2:12 pm

border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">>>Quote (VAD_BAXTER @ Jan. 15 2010, 10:09 am)

RomulusRemus

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 2:16 pm

Quote (VAD_BAXTER @ Jan. 15 2010, 10:09 am)
I know there are some on here who really hate the movie, yet this to me makes a statement as to how much the powers that be really DON'T care about the fans.

Ain't that the truth.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 2:23 pm

Quote (RomulusRemus @ Jan. 15 2010, 2:16 pm)
Quote (VAD_BAXTER @ Jan. 15 2010, 10:09 am)

Ain't that the truth.

If they didn't care about the fans then they wouldn't make Trek anymore.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 4:39 pm

Quote (rocketscientist @ Jan. 14 2010, 7:56 pm)
Some guys on scifiwire.com speculated that it has to do with Pocketbooks somehow realizing that there wasn't a big enough market for these books. ¿These guys said that the new film only really appealed to older fans of TOS and maybe kids who don't read anyway. ¿I disagree with that assesment, but people are also pointing to Playmates ending their toyline as evidence of this, justifying that the film was really a failure or something with no staying power.

But surely they've already paid advances to the writers? Especially someone like Alan Dean Foster. Or is that not how it works?

And, I dunno...I DO think STXI has opened up Trek to a whole new audience...but it's probably not the kind of extended audience who will want the toys or the books. They just want to enjoy the film.

sonofspock1

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 7:23 pm

I wonder now are we going to have four months in the middle of 2010 with no new Trek books published?

Nice to know that JJ and Co. had nothing to do with it.

MrsStarbuck

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 8:15 pm

Quote (SeerSGB @ Jan. 15 2010, 2:07 am)
Quote (MrsStarbuck @ Jan. 15 2010, 4:39 pm)
Quote (rocketscientist @ Jan. 14 2010, 7:56 pm)
Some guys on scifiwire.com speculated that it has to do with Pocketbooks somehow realizing that there wasn't a big enough market for these books. ?These guys said that the new film only really appealed to older fans of TOS and maybe kids who don't read anyway. ?I disagree with that assesment, but people are also pointing to Playmates ending their toyline as evidence of this, justifying that the film was really a failure or something with no staying power.

Yeah the writers have likely already been paid their advances, but that would bearing at all on the release dates. ¿Shoot, they could pay for the book, get the manuscript and scrape the project all together-- it's not uncommon in publishing, and wouldn't be the first time in Star Trek's publishing history that it happened.

Okay, thanks for confirming how it works.

And interesting link. I want "Mr. Spock's Guide to the Planet Vulcan"!

:laugh:

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 8:31 pm

Let me guess, all novels need to be approved by the producers.  I don't see why anyone would be surprised.  When BnB were in charge it was the same way.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 8:56 pm

I wonder if the Destiny and RW books did well? I read that trilogy and thought it was good. Captian Dax was good. Same with the new Vulcan/Half Human Female character. I know they are planning on doing a Typhon Pact series as a follow up to the Destiny series. I thought the RW book was good but I am not sure about how the Romulans started the war was a good idea or not.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 9:03 pm

Quote (SeerSGB @ Jan. 15 2010, 9:01 pm)
Quote (VAD_BAXTER @ Jan. 15 2010, 8:56 pm)
Quote (SeerSGB @ Jan. 15 2010, 5:49 pm)
Quote (VAD_BAXTER @ Jan. 15 2010, 8:43 pm)
Quote (SeerSGB @ Jan. 15 2010, 5:29 pm)

That's the "public" line. ?But I'll bet money it was cause they want to cash in on the hype of the sequel. ?

Why release a tie-in book when there is nothing currently to time in to. ?Trek books are in a slump-- a bad one,--- and a lot of projects are are being scaled back or dropped. ?Pocket probably doesn't want to p!ss away the nuTrek market and end up killing a line before it has a chance to cash in on it by releasing it between films with no hype to put on the cover.

And it wouldn't be the first time a project was staled or rewritten cause it didn't conform to the "rules".

I don't think the books really are in a slump to be quite honest. Think about it they have the Vanguard and Titan series books that are literally a mind boggling success in terms of TREK books. The only reason they are in a slump is because either Pocket books or CBS/Paramount doesn't want TREK books published. They had a decent line up of books ready to be released this year UNTIL they decided to do books based on TREKXI and that's why they pushed the schedule back. I seriously doubt if they will change the schedule back to what it was before these books were announced.

It's bad enough I have to preorder TREK books just to get them where i live simply because as soon as they hit the shelves they are gone the same day and my Barnes and Noble carries almost as many TREK books as they do star wars...

Pocket scaled back the 'Trek house last year and has been for a couple years now. ?Trek books aren't selling as good as they used to (I forget the exact amount they're down) but they're not burning up the charts like the old days. ?There's fewer slots open, and less space on the store shelves.

And the few copies on the shelves is coming out of ?reduced print runs, meaning popular books go fast. ?When I worked for BAM (2002), unless we asked for more we usually got 5 of a new release 'Trek books, 8 is it was a "big" book. ?A week later, maybe two, we usually were ordered to ship 1/2 of onshelf stock back to the warehouse- regardless of how it sold.

I know they have scaled back a bit, which really is a shame since we have just gotten a rather large influx of new fans.

The glory days of TREK books had them coming out left and right. hopefully we can get back to it at some point.

It's the "glory days" that killed the market, IMO. ¿To many books for a niche market to support, leaving a lot of unsold pulp on the shelves, leading to distributors ordering less stock, leading to reduced sales figures. ¿Rinse and repeat.

Just like the 90's with TV Trek. I hope Paramount doesn't make that mistake again even though I liked TNG and DS9.

TrekFan1701E

Report this Jan. 15 2010, 9:44 pm

Quote (SeerSGB @ Jan. 15 2010, 9:09 pm)
When I ?had to do the ordering for the store I worked at, there were times it was like pulling teeth to get them to send us more than 1 or 2 of some Trek books. We'd have an allotment in the warehouse, but they didn't want to risk to much of it sitting unsold on the shelves, they'd rather sell it through the direct-to-customer (online) outlet. ?Older 'Trek titles still in print or reprints of older books were particularity bad for it. ?The worse was when I'd try to keep a series on the shelves, and they'd skip numbers cause we didn't sell enough of Vol X to justify sending us even 1 copy of it.

Now old Stephen Kind or Tom Clancy, some romance novel, I could have as much as I wanted cause we'd sell it; if not all at once, over the course of the year it'd sell down.

I noticed that when I went and bought the Destiny Series. They had two of them and I had too order one of them. I wonder if that is the same as you say Seer that maybe one of part of the Destiny did sell well which would be strange. Wouldn't Trek fans want to read the entire Trilogy?