Star Trek models

Swahi24

Report this Jan. 05 2010, 10:44 pm

Does anyone do models? I'm a starter and I need some tips. :)

Hawklord

Report this Jan. 10 2010, 5:53 pm

I used to, but lack of time, and a cat that won't let me, have put an end to it.

A good source for tips would be at Starship Modeler

What kind of tips do you mean? General or specific techniques?

Harbinger1

Report this Jan. 10 2010, 10:45 pm

I've wanted to, but never had the time nor the patience.

Swahi24

Report this Jan. 22 2010, 7:35 pm

they suck.

phoenixhawk

Report this Feb. 02 2010, 10:11 pm

I've got a fair number of the Trek models. What specifically are you looking for help on?

Chris

Rook7

Report this Feb. 07 2010, 1:26 pm

Check that site for some ideas!

THX-1138

Report this Jul. 16 2010, 12:04 pm

I do tons of models. This is the year of cool Trek models coming out. Polar Lights/ Round 2 has some neat re-issues (I think the K7 is already available). Culttvman.com is also a great source for hints and tips and fantastic galleries of Trek models.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jul. 16 2010, 4:43 pm

The is a book Fine Scale Modeler put out that gives you paint schemes and hints for all the mainstream kits.  It should be helpful.

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 25 2010, 6:22 pm

Someone just made a 1/1000 NX refit kit for the polar lights model.

megan512

Report this Dec. 27 2010, 1:22 pm

I just got a model to work on. My dad used to make models, so he's helping me out.

One tip that might be helpful: When you're trying to paint small parts, it's easier if you get a Q-tip and cut the heads off and place a piece of sticky tack on it. Then you can put the part on top and rotate it while you paint. That way your hands won't get paint all over them and the part is painted nicely. Hope that helps.

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 27 2010, 5:17 pm

I do that with toothpicks. Sharp pointed toothpicks are invaluable to a modeller. They can also be used to scribe details with paint.

megan512

Report this Dec. 29 2010, 8:22 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Dec. 27 2010, 5:17 pm

Yeah, without toothpicks I don't know what I would do. They're also good for mixing paint, to get the clumps and stuff out.

Spockhearter1

Report this Dec. 29 2010, 2:21 pm

Iv'e also wanted to do modeling but with anything involving art I suck at.

;(

"Facinating."

KLINGONDOG

Report this Dec. 29 2010, 7:09 pm

Try not to get too detailed the first time out, keep it simple. Ther is a reason for the saying, the devil is in the details.

bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'.

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 30 2010, 11:18 am

When it comes to models, you'll always be your own worst critic. You'll see errors no one else does and always feel like you could do more when you eventually have to declare the project done.